Illinois teacher fired from school after stepping on American flag in class, report says

LumRaiderFan

While I support the freedom of speech aspect of stepping on the flag (not that I agree with it), as a teacher I also feel strongly that it is inappropriate and irresponsible to bring personal politics and beliefs into your classroom.   That being said, after reading the article, I don't believe that was his intention.  He was trying to teach about free speech, not showing an actual hatred towards the flag.  I respect the school board's decision, but would not have been outraged as some would had they voted to reinstate him.

While I support the freedom of speech aspect of stepping on the flag (not that I agree with it), as a teacher I also feel strongly that it is inappropriate and irresponsible to bring personal politics and beliefs into your classroom.   That being said, after reading the article, I don't believe that was his intention.  He was trying to teach about free speech, not showing an actual hatred towards the flag.  I respect the school board's decision, but would not have been outraged as some would had they voted to reinstate him.

​This is a tough one...he may be a great teacher that make a mistake.

I will say this, he had an opportunity to show these kids the respect that should be shown for our Flag and what it stands for and blew it.

Seems when one of the kids pointed out the lack of respect he was showing the Flag, rather than agree he decided to give a "free speech" lesson instead.

I don't believe his apology. It is too easy to say the right things afterwards, trying to get public support and a sympathy vote. If he truly honored the flag and the soldiers who have died protecting her, he would have never stepped on her just to make a point. I watch the boy scouts raise the flag at football games and pray they don't let her touch the ground.