This is crazy

My first shooting incident was a suicidal subject that called in on himself and opened fire on me when I arrived. This is not a new deal but fortunately only happens no more than a couple of times a year. 

​this is what I hope is not the "new crazy"… 

My first shooting incident was a suicidal subject that called in on himself and opened fire on me when I arrived. This is not a new deal but fortunately only happens no more than a couple of times a year. 

Wow, how did you manage to survive?  I think I would've asked for a desk job after that

If you count being shot at (watching the shots fired at me, not just hearing shots nearby), my partner shooting and killing a guy about 10 feet in front of me and me shooting at someone (that was holding a gun to my head trying to pull the trigger), I have been involved in five shooting incidents. 

If you count being shot at (watching the shots fired at me, not just hearing shots nearby), my partner shooting and killing a guy about 10 feet in front of me and me shooting at someone (that was holding a gun to my head trying to pull the trigger), I have been involved in five shooting incidents. 

​Wow.......

​Someone needs a BIG raise.

Makes me shake my head at folks that hammer cops when they don't do everything perfect.

Maybe they should participate in some ridealongs to get a small taste.

​Someone needs a BIG raise.

Makes me shake my head at folks that hammer cops when they don't do everything perfect.

Maybe they should participate in some ridealongs to get a small taste.

​The money is okay (pretty good actually, according to where you work) but any officer that works for the money is in the wrong business anyway. I won't reject any pay raise but we aren't being mistreated.

Police in this country probably make about 50 million public contacts a month. The amount of people abused or have their rights violated is exceedingly small. If you count just arrests, the FBI reports a bit over 12 million a year. That is 250,00 arrests per week on average or about 33,000 per day. That is just arrests so the officer is using some kind of force even if it is the minimal force of simply handcuffing someone. Considering the shear volume, actual improper uses of force is minuscule. Even many that are shown on video or the ones in the national news are actually lawful uses of force. Examples are Ferguson, MO and NY, NY. Looking into the accusations, we find that the amount of force was within the law and sometimes (such as NY) the use of force is lawful but against the departments own restrictions put in place such as no choke holds (correctly called lateral vascular neck restraint which does not choke). As the NY example, the hold is a viable use of force option and is still taught in many schools. It is politically incorrect however because "it doesn't look good". 

Ride-alongs help and in fact many officer candidates and eventual officers started by riding with a friend or just going to an agency that allows it without knowing any officers. It is much different than is what is portrayed in movies and the evening news. I encourage people to ride with officers. I also encourage them if possible to go through live action use of force and deadly force training like we have seen lately by community leaders that have protested police actions but then when put through the training, often change their mind. Some such videos are on the internet. 

​Wqw, that's like 5 lifetimes worth of actions.

5 too many for me. #deskjob