McKinney Officer

thetragichippy

Huh?  The kid I saw was pulling  up his pants and had a sipping straw or piece  of stick in his mouth.  

​That is very easy to make such a conclusion.... assuming that you are sitting back at a different angle from a video at a safe distance or in your living room and not a person from a completely different angle that is in the middle of the action and only a second or two away from a person that could kill you. 

Read the case of Graham v. Connor from 1989. In that case Graham was a completely innocent person that had committed no crime. The police however detained him and in the process thrashed him about a bit and Graham ended up in the hospital. 

I believe that it was a rare unanimous US Supreme Court that cleared the officers of violating Graham's civil rights in a lawsuit. In fact the decision mentioned you (or people like you) when they said that you have to view uses of force as seen by officers in the heat of the moment in "split second" decisions rather than "20/20 hindsight". 

In other words, it is easy to view and respond when not in the position of the officer. 

Edited by tvc184

Yeah, out of control, and you keep using the word stress. I agree and think fear was a huge factor for his reaction. The way cops have been portrayed lately, not to mention the execution of some officers and others being shot in the line of duty, he may have still crossed a line, but I'm not sure I could have handled it any better. He shot no one and resigned. What else is there?

It looked to me that the girl resisted and the two guys may have been coming to her aid?

​Watch the video again. The young lady is just sitting there (stressed out )and he goes back to her and wrestles her down to the ground. She was not a threat at that moment. He could have defused the situation.

​Watch the video again. The young lady is just sitting there (stressed out )and he goes back to her and wrestles her down to the ground. She was not a threat at that moment. He could have defused the situation.

It's tough enough for a male cop to wrestle with a beautiful bikini clad female and not be charged with indecency. I saw her refuse to get on the ground which is resisting. Like I said, not trying to take sides, but no one tries to view it from the cop's POV. Playing devil's advocate.

I agree 

That tuck and roll was completely unnecessary. He should be drug tested. He was running around like he was "amped " up. He did use excessive  force. I thought other officers  were on the scene  as well.

Big Girl, I thought hell might have frozen over when i thought we finally agreed on something......lol

I'm 99.99999% sure that tuck and roll was not intentional, he tripped and somehow recovered....I give him a 9.6 on form.

The other officers were doing their job.....Let's not let one situation negate the other.......the teens were out of control and needed to be handled. 

man, I went back and watched the video again. He threw a male teenager (left him) and went to the female and practically laid on her.

He overreacted.  He's paying the price.  I still think the bigger problem in society is the fact that teenagers think it's okay to curse and scream at cops while disobeying their orders.   

He overreacted.  He's paying the price.  I still think the bigger problem in society is the fact that teenagers think it's okay to curse and scream at cops while disobeying their orders.   

I agree, teens should be respectful. But another bigger problem is the cell phone. People have been complaining for years about the mistreatment from cops.

Big Girl, I thought hell might have frozen over when i thought we finally agreed on something......lol

I'm 99.99999% sure that tuck and roll was not intentional, he tripped and somehow recovered....I give him a 9.6 on form.

The other officers were doing their job.....Let's not let one situation negate the other.......the teens were out of control and needed to be handled. 

I disagree. That was a beautiful  tuck and roll. Watch the video.  Classic

I agree, teens should be respectful. But another bigger problem is the cell phone. People have been complaining for years about the mistreatment from cops.

More often than not people want to fight the police, then complain when police fight back.  All these cellphones, yet only a handful of incidents have been shown where cops did something wrong.  But the way it's plastered all over the media, it gives the APPEARANCE of a huge problem, the BIGGEST problem according to some.  In reality, policing can be a violent job, and never looks good on video.   That doesn't mean that the vast majority of police aren't doing their job well.  Even in this situation, as poorly as the officer handled himself, had the teen had any respect at all for authority and obeyed one of the several reasonable orders he gave her to leave, rather than screaming profanity at him, all would've been avoided.  Her lack of respect was undoubtedly fueled by the misrepresentation of police in the media. Again, this does not excuse his actions, but as long as the media continues to fuel this fire of hate and disrespect towards officers, there will continue to be situations that escalate because citizens refuse to follow reasonable orders.  And once things start to get out of hand, stuff like this will happen.

True, and not taking sides. Just trying to insert myself into the scene. Fear is a provocative emotion.

Could it be a lack of training for these scenarios?

Most definitely.  I am glad that the other cops on the scene were more calm

Edited by Big girl
misspelled words

More often than not people want to fight the police, then complain when police fight back.  All these cellphones, yet only a handful of incidents have been shown where cops did something wrong.  But the way it's plastered all over the media, it gives the APPEARANCE of a huge problem, the BIGGEST problem according to some.  In reality, policing can be a violent job, and never looks good on video.   That doesn't mean that the vast majority of police aren't doing their job well.  Even in this situation, as poorly as the officer handled himself, had the teen had any respect at all for authority and obeyed one of the several reasonable orders he gave her to leave, rather than screaming profanity at him, all would've been avoided.  Her lack of respect was undoubtedly fueled by the misrepresentation of police in the media. Again, this does not excuse his actions, but as long as the media continues to fuel this fire of hate and disrespect towards officers, there will continue to be situations that escalate because citizens refuse to follow reasonable orders.  And once things start to get out of hand, stuff like this will happen.

Who was fighting the police

Don't you find it odd that the black kids were the only ones being terrorized. We're all of the white kids obeying the cops?