McKinney Officer

thetragichippy

True, and not taking sides. Just trying to insert myself into the scene. Fear is a provocative emotion.

Could it be a lack of training for these scenarios?

​he was a seasoned officer from what I hear. I commend the other officer stopping him from shooting those kids, kudos! 

​he was a seasoned officer from what I hear. I commend the other officer stopping him from shooting those kids, kudos! 

To be fair, if he was going to shoot them, they would've already been shot by the time the other officers reached him.  That was an instinctual reaction to two people charging him while he was in a vulnerable position.  I guarantee you if you go find TVC on a Saturday night in PA while he's in a struggle with someone and charge him from behind, he'd put his gun in your face as well. 

I'm with you on drawing the weapon. I really didn't think that was out of line.  The "kid" he drew it on had a cigarette in his mouth and appeared to reach into his pocket as he charged.  

Huh?  The kid I saw was pulling  up his pants and had a sipping straw or piece  of stick in his mouth. 

Edited by BLUEDOVE3

Huh?  The kid I saw was pulling  up his pants and had a sipping straw or piece  of stick in his mouth. 

Perhaps you're right.  I haven't looked at the video in a couple of days.  But this is a perfect example of the types of things a cop might see while in that situation.  Out of his peripheral vision, all he sees is a guy rushing him reaching to his waistband.  You can't expect a cop to wait and see if someone is pulling out a gun to shoot him before drawing his own. The officer's inappropriate actions stem from his behavior to the girl, IMO, not his behavior towards two young men who charged him.  Had one of them proved to be a threat to him, he would've shot them.  When they proved not to be, he did not.

Edited by bullets13

​i also would like to know why wasnt the two fat guys not told to move across the street as well. Oh, and the grown women shown on video fighting that other teenage girl, anything happening with them? Smh, McKinney is one of my favorite towns, used to always stop there on my way to and from Wichita Falls, this just another example of how one or a couple of nutheads that can make a town appear to not be great. "Go back to your section 8 housing" ha, give me a break, those idiots that told them kids that probably not even from McKinney. I know id move there if my job allows me to transfer down the line. 

​i also would like to know why wasnt the two fat guys not told to move across the street as well. Oh, and the grown women shown on video fighting that other teenage girl, anything happening with them? Smh, McKinney is one of my favorite towns, used to always stop there on my way to and from Wichita Falls, this just another example of how one or a couple of nutheads that can make a town appear to not be great. "Go back to your section 8 housing" ha, give me a break, those idiots that told them kids that probably not even from McKinney. I know id move there if my job allows me to transfer down the line. 

Did the teenage girl attack one of the women, or vice versa?  I'm assuming there's evidence the teen started it or the media would be all over it.  If a 15-year-old starts hitting me I'm not going to stand there and take it just because it's a teenager doing it.

Edited by bullets13

Did the teenage girl attack one of the women, or vice versa?  I'm assuming there's evidence the teen started it or the media would be all over it.  If a 15-year-old starts hitting me I'm not going to stand there and take it just because it's a teenager doing it.

​from everything ive read on it one of the women slapped the girl then fisticuffs started, thats the "fight" that ppl are saying started the whole thing, and apparently it was also the woman that was spewing out the racial slurs at that pool. I wish the girl mother was there when the slap happened, wouldn't have been woman-on-teen then and probably not a fight for that matter. 

​I agree, but he was out of control under those stressful situations.

Yeah, out of control, and you keep using the word stress. I agree and think fear was a huge factor for his reaction. The way cops have been portrayed lately, not to mention the execution of some officers and others being shot in the line of duty, he may have still crossed a line, but I'm not sure I could have handled it any better. He shot no one and resigned. What else is there?

It looked to me that the girl resisted and the two guys may have been coming to her aid?

I just read an article that stated that the officer in question had already responded to two suicide calls that day, including one where a man had shot himself in the head in front of his family (at which time the officer would've presumably had to deal with that shattered family for some time).  This could provide some insight into why the officer acted in such a manic and angry way.  I think it's safe to say he was having a very bad day.  It doesn't excuse his actions, but I think most of us will admit to having bad days affect our work performance from time to time.

Yeah, out of control, and you keep using the word stress. I agree and think fear was a huge factor for his reaction. The way cops have been portrayed lately, not to mention the execution of some officers and others being shot in the line of duty, he may have still crossed a line, but I'm not sure I could have handled it any better. He shot no one and resigned. What else is there?

It looked to me that the girl resisted and the two guys may have been coming to her aid?

​I doubt if he had a choice, I think it was one of those deals of: resign or I will fire you. 

That police chief was not pleased at that man. Hey at least he keeps his pension fwiw I guess. Did he resign his VP position on that police union? 

​I doubt if he had a choice, I think it was one of those deals of: resign or I will fire you. 

That police chief was not pleased at that man. Hey at least he keeps his pension fwiw I guess. Did he resign his VP position on that police union? 

​The police chief was not pleased that he had to answer questions. 

Assuming that he had a typical police union position, yes he is out of that. That is elected by local police officers and is likely a non-paying position. It is not a job but more like a shift representative. I have been a union vice president and the function of that or the president is to run/chair meetings, pick and head up the bargaining team if in negotiations and to do miscellaneous duties like in my agency picking members for interview boards. Such as when a person goes for a hiring interview, the hiring board is made up of the chief or his designee, one deputy chief, one supervisor and one patrol grade officer (patrolman or detective) as appointed by the union president. Another miscellaneous duty that I performed was when the local civil service board was selecting new books for the sergeant and lieutenant promotional tests, I sat in representation of the union to review the books and give my input into which ones would be best (I actually got a book selected over the objection of the then chief of police and the head of civil service).  It is not like a United Steel Workers national president that makes well up into 6 or 7 figures. Police union positions are merely an advice committee or spokesmen of the officers in that particular department. Once he is no longer an officer, he can no longer be a representative.   

​The police chief was not pleased that he had to answer questions. 

Assuming that he had a typical police union position, yes he is out of that. That is elected by local police officers and is likely a non-paying position. It is not a job but more like a shift representative. I have been a union vice president and the function of that or the president is to run/chair meetings, pick and head up the bargaining team if in negotiations and to do miscellaneous duties like in my agency picking members for interview boards. Such as when a person goes for a hiring interview, the hiring board is made up of the chief or his designee, one deputy chief, one supervisor and one patrol grade officer (patrolman or detective) as appointed by the union president. Another miscellaneous duty that I performed was when the local civil service board was selecting new books for the sergeant and lieutenant promotional tests, I sat in representation of the union to review the books and give my input into which ones would be best (I actually got a book selected over the objection of the then chief of police and the head of civil service).  It is not like a United Steel Workers national president that makes well up into 6 or 7 figures. Police union positions are merely an advice committee or spokesmen of the officers in that particular department. Once he is no longer an officer, he can no longer be a representative.   

​Chief wanted to keep his job. Lol I dont blame him.