Coaching

Guest sportsfanatic

I definately agree about Sims for HJ.  Orangefield's coach may be good, but the girls she has have been playing together for a long time, so I think alot of that credit should go to the parents!  Hardin Jefferson has always put together a team with Sims as their coach.  Same with Coach Killam ....don't know enough about him.  I think he's doing a great job, but it DOES help when you have the athletes he has!

Carol Sims does do a great job with what she has.  Talent just seems to be a little weak this year.  Coach Killam has been around the area for a long time.  I remember when he coached the girls at Lumberton.  They went from never winning a game to making playoffs for the first time in history.  He was there for a long time and then went out to Central Texas for a few years.  He is a very nice man with good Christian morals and standards.  A great role model for these girls. He really knows his basketball too. 

Guest bleed orange

All of these coaches have had talent at one time or another.  That why they are successfull. But its what you do with that talent. Coach Sims had the Spears girl for 4 years, Coach Killam walked into a gold mine at silsbee and yes coach Ancelot did at Orangefield. Yes the parents did have something to do with the current success at Orangefield but so did the parents at every other school. Coach Ancelot in her first year took a team that was not projected to do very well and got 20 wins out of them. Its when the talent is not as good is how the good coaches seperate themselfs from the coaches that are average. Sometimes its not all about how many wins you get but how the kids turn out in life. If you ask a college coach, "what are you most proud of?", he or she would say how many kids graduated not how many went to the pro's.

Coach Bill Tennison long time coach at Orangefield is a good example of this. Most of the girls still repect him till this day because he taught them that through hard work you can accomplish any goal you set. Alot of the girls he coached are successful because of the lessons he taught in life. He is retired and has been for some time and still come to every lady bobcat game. That speaks volumes about this man.

Coach Killam definitely gets my vote!  At each school he has coached at, he has done so with dignity and never compromises his morals for a win.  Also, I have seen that he has top interest in his players as people and helping them progress in life.  He is involved in the community and I believe that that is also an important factor for a coach.  Through the years I personally know many people that Coach Killam has inspired on and off the court to do great things with their lives, including players, parents and community members.  Coach Killam embodies all of the great strategic qualities of the game of basketball, but most importantly he has class.

Guest bleed orange

Why do you think Orangefield wins? Because they are fundamentally sound and play as a team. We are not big or flashy. We just play hard from beginning to end. There is no superstars on the team. They just play well together.

I''ll agree with pseudo,Janet does a super job also.The top coaches in this thread Killam,Ancelot and Sims all have the common thread discipline,team play and hard work.Coach Sims actually took a group of hard working girls from Nederland and made a playoff team out of them years ago.Probably one of her best coaching jobs.PS  Coach Wilson from Lumberton has also got to be on this list.

A big part of coaching is motivating kids to accomplish more than anyone originally thought they could. That is a talent that not too many coaches have, because it isn't really acquired. One question that I would ask is this, How many players of specific coaches have went on to play in college?  Coach Tennison, long time coach at OF sent quite a few players off to college.  I can think of at least 10 off the top of my head.  That is teaching a love of the game, not just X and O's of basketball.  I can't think of one coach in this area that constitently produces college players, that isn't blessed with a boatload of talent, ie. WOS.  Brittany James and Brittany Scott would have gotten scholarships if they wouldn't have had a coach.

Guest bleed orange

While I agree with you bobcat4life I also disagree with you. They don't make coaches like coach Tennison or coach Peveto any more. They also don't make kids like they use to any more either. Yes I agree that coaches should motivate kids, but this is a different time and kids are not so easily motivated. I can't explain it. Maybe I can but thats a subject for another day.

Well Bleed, you know I agree with you most of the time, but to say that kids are more difficult to motivate than they were 20 or 30 years ago is hard for me to swallow. I do believe that kids are motivated differently than they were at that time, but they can definately be motivated. It is a coaches job to figure out how to do that.  If they can't do that, then they aren't much of a coach. Knowing the respective game they are coaching is only a small part of coaching.  I heard Becky Sanders say one time that her HS volleyball coach told them after they won the state championship that she never thought they had the talent to do it. But she always coached them up, made them believe in themselves, and they did it.

Guest bleed orange

There you go bobcat4life that was 35+ years ago that becky's coach said that. Just Kidding. About 4-5 years ago a group of seniors had a chance to maybe break the school record in the 1600 meter relay. A record that has stood for a long time. Now on the flip side they were not going to break it but they could have gotten close. In the prelims at the regional meet they decided not to run hard so they would not make the finals and get back for prom. We would have never done that. Going to state was our #1 goal. Maybe its a combination of both kids don't get motivated by coaches and kids don't set goals. Who really knows. But yes kids are different today than they were 20-30 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I do think that kids get motivated but just in a different way than we did. Can I still come to your superbowl party? lol.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nexax
    Newest Member
    nexax