unemployment

stevenash

I'm sure they did, the main point of the article was if you stop extending unemployment checks to unemployed people it forces them to actually find a job. 

You'll see in the article the left tried to extend benefits, it didn't pass - thus the unemployed had to find jobs or have no money.  

Why so defensive?  ;)

It has been said that starvation is a strong motivator. 

I believe that is a very true statement. There has to be some motivation for people to do almost anything. When a person has a place to stay and has food in his stomach, he is less likely in my opinion to go the extra mile to find a job or other means of support. It is much easier to sit back when someone else is paying the bill. 

The only point of this article was that the ending of many benefits motivated many more people to start working, maybe at lesser jobs than they left or would have taken if available. If you are not eating or have no roof over your head, how much will you struggle to make ends meet as opposed to having that means brought to your door free of effort or obligation? 

The single time that Obama is mentioned in the article (and Democrats not at all) is that he it touting the decrease in the unemployment rate. The article said that no matter your politics, that is a good thing. It points out that it is possible that part of that decrease in unemployment is due to the ending of benefits. 

I see that as nothing to do with Obama or politics except making a single point that unemployment benefits may tend to slow recovery rather than speed it up. 

It poses this statement, "It’s worth wondering why". 

The article appears to be me to be a statement of facts, that unemployment went down after some benefits ended and pondered whether the two are linked. I can't see that as inflammatory or very political and mainly states that it is a valid topic for debate. It certainly wasn't some hammering of Obama who is only mentioned once and the article agreed with him that it is good that unemployment went down no matter which party you support. 

Do you know that the average person that gets unemployment benefits receive 800/mo. Who can live off of that.? The max amount is 1800. Wow, big bucks. If a person had a job making 78,000 /yr they would only receive 1800/mo, who wouldn't want to sit on their lazy butts to get that type of money? Lol.

Do you know that the average person that gets unemployment benefits receive 800/mo. Who can live off of that.? The max amount is 1800. Wow, big bucks. If a person had a job making 78,000 /yr they would only receive 1800/mo, who wouldn't want to sit on their lazy butts to get that type of money? Lol.

What does that have to do with the premise of the article? 

Your pants are on fire

You"re not going to apply for a job because you want a certain hair style?

Please tell me you are joking.......lol

nope not joking, security positions require that, I just got out of security and not into going back otherwise would have stayed in the first place. Desk jobs are my forte.

The company I work for eliminated my position in May, I took a large pay cut to make sure I still had a job. 

similar thing with me in May when they cut my position at the state supported living center in Abilene, I got a job at BCBS of Texas.

I stayed with my company at a "lesser" position that I had before I became an asst. manager.  I could have taken a severance package and filed for unemployment, but I don't want to depend on the government to pay my bills when I am fully able to do so. 

The company I work for eliminated my position in May, I took a large pay cut to make sure I still had a job. 

Me too, in January but I bailed in December before the position was gone .  Got a good job (luckily without a pay cut) now that I am happy with, because I am not going to sit on a line with my hand out!