Dayton Broncos v.s. Friendswood Mustangs

It's a scrimmage but Friendswood always has a big athletic team and a much higher enrollment than Dayton. It should give dayton coaches a good chance to see what some kids have to offer. Now Dayton plays Channelview for their first non district game and I think that will be a real test for the Broncos. Channelview has a big athletic qb and has the enrollment to give dayton troubles. Channelview just happens to have NS Deer Park PM Beaumont Westbrook and LP in their district so playoffs will rarely be in their future. So I wouldn't look at Channelviews previous records and take much from it. They play a different caliber of competition than dayton although they usually get killed. I think Dayton starts the season 2-0 but I think both games will be very close.

Not sure you can win a scrimmage.  Coaches are usually more interested in seeing how their players perform against real opposition and setting first and second strings than in winning.  Still, Dayton always offers a good test of where we are after two weeks.

Team strengths: 

QB is the returning starter from last year and can make all the throws.  We also have a sneaky fast kid who runs our read option well.

RB our starter and first back up are two year lettermen and our starter is a punishing runner who rarely gets stopped for a loss.

D-Line -- this is the biggest strength of our team. All four are two year lettermen with a number of all district honors for all.

D-Backs -- should be solid at safety and corner.  Returning starters at three of the four spots

Team weaknesses:

O-Line -- only two returning starters, but three others have some varsity experience.  Tackles are really big, Center and Left guard returning starters.

LB --  Only one returning starter and the coaches will be looking to fill the other two spots with players with limited experience.

WR -- only one returning starter.  This position is a big question mark.

FG -- the three kids we had last year at V and JV either graduated or are playing soccer exclusively.

Lol. Sorry about that you are right you can't win a scrimmage. But friendswood is always a good test to start the season. Just so ready for football that I am jumping ahead. But out offense will be out toughness this year with all the speed returning and with our QB having some experience under his belt. It should be good and look for kyle mc. Bride to put up big numbers this season.

Should be a great scrimmage,I'm looking to see if we've takin right off where we finished last year.I see big things ahead & the Bronco Qb has more poise/zip on his passes.FW has always been about ball control=keeping the ball in the O's hands.I wanna see some strides made on defense vs the run.We'll test the waters to find the diamonds=that's what scrimmages do,find kids that have committed to step up to be a team leader.I'll be there to see it

true. I remember in 08 friendswood pounded the Bronx in a non district game and later that year dayton was playing for a state championship.

42-21 FW J.Karem(TTech/Memphis)Greater Hstn Area Chron mvp threw 29/41=397 4tds 2 ints mainly to A.Gautreaux wr(Rice) Cody Green 21/46=263 2 ints.2nd half kickoff Cameron LaCour(dayt)takes opening kickoff 82 yd td to make it 14-13 early 3rd. :D

42-21 FW J.Karem(TTech/Memphis)Greater Hstn Area Chron mvp threw 29/41=397 4tds 2 ints mainly to A.Gautreaux wr(Rice) Cody Green 21/46=263 2 ints.2nd half kickoff Cameron LaCour(dayt)takes opening kickoff 82 yd td to make it 14-13 early 3rd. :D

friendswood had a nice run for several years but kept running into that monster Lake Travis.

Always a good scrimmage between these 2 teams. I want Dayton to come out of all their srimmages healthy and for the coaches to get them ready for regular season right where they left off last year, looking very strong.
Good luck to Friendswood this season as well.

Go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

staying healthy for sure. Seems like dayton always loses a really good player in their scrimmages. Last year a Dayton played their first 2 games without their starting qb thanks to them big boys from Ned. Your point is right on the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the concession stand will be open -- parents got requests to volunteer to work -- cant do anything about the heat.  Just hoping it doesn't rain like last year in Dayton.  I also understand that they are going to play it more like a game . . . so maybe a winner can be determined.