Smitty, Stevenash, Lumraider - Why Do You Hate Our Country?

drive to 1300 Joe Louis or west 14 street in port Arthur or the many homeless shelters out here in Houston ...shall I tell them about the generous donation you'll be sending. .. IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE THAT WITH AROUND 50 MILLION IN POVERTY PEOPLE ARE NOT STARVING. YOUR _______.

Go ahead...fill in the blank...don't be shy.

This country takes better care of it's poor than anywhere else...we don't knowingly let folks starve.

Charities, churches, food pantries and gov...lots of resources.

I have been on mission trips to places like Brazil and that is true poverty.

Go ahead...fill in the blank...don't be shy.
This country takes better care of it's poor than anywhere else...we don't knowingly let folks starve.
Charities, churches, food pantries and gov...lots of resources.
I have been on mission trips to places like Brazil and that is true poverty.

LMAO you way too far from the truth. .. This country do knowingly let people starve...

When did I ever say anything about how I help out. I'm 22 trying to finish college and be financially straight myself. I no longer live in P.A. I'm like most college students that work ....barely making it myself.

I'm not talking about you personally now, folks that are in dire straits like you are describing need to know help is available... Food pantries come to mind.

Lots of churches sponsor them.

I'm not talking about you personally now, folks that are in dire straits like you are describing need to know help is available... Food pantries come to mind.
Lots of churches sponsor them.

LRF I'm so serious with this question? If you were 8-12 years old were would you go for food if you ain't have any...parents either high on drugs or just can care less. MANY KIDS IN THE HOOD LIVE IN THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES YOU HAVE TO HAD KNOWN THIS. ALREADY

I know it and nobody will hold those parents responsible for their actions or in this case inaction. They just keep gettin that govt. check and spending on themselves in stead of their kids. Drug test should be mandatory for any govt. asst.

I know it and nobody will hold those parents responsible for their actions or in this case inaction. They just keep gettin that govt. check and spending on themselves in stead of their kids. Drug test should be mandatory for any govt. asst.

how is a refusal of check do to fail drug test help the kids??? That's just not a smart idea.

LRF I'm so serious with this question? If you were 8-12 years old were would you go for food if you ain't have any...parents either high on drugs or just can care less. MANY KIDS IN THE HOOD LIVE IN THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES YOU HAVE TO HAD KNOWN THIS. ALREADY

Tough situation, no doubt.

One church I used to attend would pick up kids that were in bad situations and bring them to Sunday School, choir and Wednesday night service. Some of the kid's dedicated their lives to Christ and some parents even began to attend...it was an awesome ministry that actually changed lives.

It's a shame the hand that some kids are dealt but I believe the best way to help is through churches or any group that actually takes a personal interest.

Money alone just won't do it.

Tough situation, no doubt.
One church I used to attend would pick up kids that were in bad situations and bring them to Sunday School, choir and Wednesday night service. Some of the kid's dedicated their lives to Christ and some parents even began to attend...it was an awesome ministry that actually changed lives.
It's a shame the hand that some kids are dealt but I believe the best way to help is through churches or any group that actually takes a personal interest.
Money alone just won't do it.

This is so true just a shame there isn't enough communities doing the same hats of to the church your talking about.

how is a refusal of check do to fail drug test help the kids??? That's just not a smart idea.

Tough love maybe.  If they get refused a welfare check because of drugs, then maybe they'll start taking responsibility for their life and their children.  It's all about personal responsibility.  I take care of my family, and you take care of yours.  That's how it's supposed to work!

The more I look around today the more I believe the USA is like Germany 1937.  So the real question is why do you think it is hateful to stick with the thoughts and ideas that founded our country? 

You are right!  Since when is it being a radical or hateful to want to abide the Constitution, which is the law of the land? 

PAFam brings up a great point. There are a LOT of kids in our communities that are hungry most of the time. Much of it is drug related. Drug testing welfare recipients sounds great, but it's only a starting point. If someone tests positive, to address the problem the kids must be removed and put into another home (requires government $) and to hopefully reunite the family, the parent(s) will likely need drug treatment (requires government $). Unfortunately, in many cases it's not as simple as Smitty would like for it to be - just stop using. Since I know many of you are against government spending on social levels, I am interested in your solutions.

Stevenash - how would you address this problem differently than set forth above, without using taxpayer monies?

If the procedure you list is correct, wouldnt following it be the most appropriate thing to do?  I am not against spending funds to help circumstances such as you described above.  At the same time, there is a lot of "help" given to circumstances that are NOT as you described above.  I am also against expanding the number of social programs as there is overlap in the current programs and once again, since they are operated by the Federal Government, they are hardly models of efficiency and accountability as  the VA debacle CLEARLY documents.  Isn't it odd that some VA patients are going to be given vouchers to go elsewhere for treatment?  Very ironic that the govt will now pay the private sector to handle things it cant handle.  From my perspective, this country already provides a plethora of govt assistance and we ought to be seeking ways to reduce rather 

than increase.

That is a simplified version of it, minus the drug testing of recipients of course. I am not against mandatory drug testing, but not for the reasons most of the uninformed masses are for it. If someone tests positive, there will be more required than to simply cut off their benefits. We will end up spending more money on that family than we would if there were not drugs involved. But the kids will get to eat, and the parent will either lose their kids and their benefits, or get the help they desperately need.

I am against the fed gov spending on the entitlements...let that fall back to the states .

The fed gov is too large to efficiently manage these programs.

The smaller the entity, the more effectively they can take care of the problem with actual hands-on solutions.

Throwing money at it has shown to be a failure.

With that said...will this ever happen...doubtful.