NRA says Open Carry Texas demonstrations 'downright scary'

LumRaiderFan

From the article:

"Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners," the NRA wrote. "That’s not the Texas way. And that’s certainly not the NRA way."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/03/nra-says-open-carry-texas-group-too-extreme/

Frankly, I don't have a problem with open carry demostrations...at all. In fact, I kinda like them. I like the idea that every would-be criminal knows that in Texas you are likely to come across an armed citizen while carrying out your chosen line of work. Open carry reinforces that "stereotype". And yes, criminals do profile people.

I've been going to a particular "hangout" on the weekends for years. People from all over southeast Texas come there. A whole lot of alcohol is consumed, and probably over half of the people are carrying gun(s). That's a conservative estimate. Every once in a while words are exchanged or a fight briefly breaks out. But not one time has anybody pointed a gun at another person, much less shot at someone else.

Being surrounded by people carrying guns does not make me feel uncomfortable one bit. Now if I'm ever surrounded by Democratic politicians, I would make sure to keep a firm grip on my wallet.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with open carry demostrations...at all. In fact, I kinda like them. I like the idea that every would-be criminal knows that in Texas you are likely to come across an armed citizen while carrying out your chosen line of work. Open carry reinforces that "stereotype".

I've been going to a particular "hangout" on the weekends for years. People from all over southeast Texas come there. A whole lot of alcohol is consumed, and probably over half of the people are carrying gun(s). That's a conservative estimate. Every once in a while words are exchanged or a fight briefly breaks out. But not one time has anybody pointed a gun at another person, much less shot at someone else.

Being surrounded by people carrying guns does not make me feel uncomfortable one bit. Now if I'm ever surrounded by Democratic politicians, I would make sure to keep a firm grip on my wallet.

I agree also with what you're saying...I would have no problem with going somewhere where everyone is carrying a firearm.

The problem is when someone does it like the guy in Beaumont around folks that are in an area not expecting to see someone that isn't law enforcement walking around with a gun.

It can cause quite a commotion and even worse, bad press for all gun owners.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with open carry demostrations...at all. In fact, I kinda like them. I like the idea that every would-be criminal knows that in Texas you are likely to come across an armed citizen while carrying out your chosen line of work. Open carry reinforces that "stereotype". And yes, criminals do profile people.

I don't either, within reason.  But walking into a store with a rifle slung over your back crosses that line , IMO.  

I honestly don't have a problem with staged gatherings, like the one at Gander Mountain, where it's clear it's a demonstration. I thought it was asinine when the guy carried an AR-15 into the mall. But he accomplished what he wanted. Kbmt even gave him some more free advertisement this week when they ran a story about him cutting up his NRA membership card. Truth be told, open carry is not a right granted by texas law. There are practical situations where one might need to open carry, such as walking down the road to a deer stand, in or out of a gun store or gun range, etc... And I'm afraid that some of these more ridiculous demonstrations are going to lead to laws being passed that hamper those of us that might need to occasionally carry a long gun in a more practical or necessary situation.

Just because you have the right to do something, doens NOT mean you should do it. Take the Westboro Baptist Church, for example. They have every right to do what they do, even though it is disrespectful and in poor taste. Same goes for the gun nuts taking the open carry too far.  Some common sense and good reason needs to prevail here.

Just because you have the right to do something, doens NOT mean you should do it. Take the Westboro Baptist Church, for example. They have every right to do what they do, even though it is disrespectful and in poor taste. Same goes for the gun nuts taking the open carry too far.  Some common sense and good reason needs to prevail here.

There have been court cases that say that WBC (other protest and religion cases but specifically one involving them) is within their rights to protest. There has been no federal cases that show any right to openly display rifles in a public place. 

I understand the rationale of being within your rights but not doing something anyway because it is stupid but the argument doesn't fit here as there is no "right" yet shown to openly display firearms. 

tvc, I agree (for the most part...) There are no court cases YET. These gun nuts will push it until there is a court case or our law makers pass a law. Meanwhile, if the law DOES NOT state that you cannot do it, they operate under the premise that you can.

While I'm kind of a gun nut myself, and I support the concept of open carry, I wont be going to the mall with a scary black rifle on my back and would not be comfortable around those that do.