TEA recommends takeover of Beaumont ISD

AggiesAreWe

"The board of managers would be made up of community members appointed by Commissioner Williams."

Am I reading this correctly? Instead of a (local)board appointed in by voters, now you will have a (local) board appointed by a Commissioner in Austin?

Correct, hence the word "takeover". ;)

Saw this coming for a long time.

Meaning he should hire a diverse group of people.....people that think differently....you can add color if you like,(not where I was going though).

I also read ....."

If a takeover is approved, a board of managers would replace the elected school board members.  The power of the elected board would be suspended for no more than two years.  The board of managers would be made up of people from the community including business people and community leaders.  The commissioner would also appoint a superintendent.

So, does the current Superintendent still receive a paycheck for the next 2 years?

Who knows what could be brought forth at this point.

The Jefferson County District Attorney has been investigating allegations of wrongdoing by the district. District Attorney Cory Crenshaw issued the following statement in reaction to the news from the TEA

"We would like to take this opportunity to let the community know that now is the time for those who have knowledge of wrong-doing at the school district and wrongdoers themselves, to come forward. We are asking that all individuals with knowledge of criminal activity at BISD to meet with us, tell the truth, and agree to cooperate. Starting today and through the end of this month, my office and task force investigators will be available to meet with people who are willing to speak to us and consideration will be given to those that come forward during this time period. Change within the school district is imminent and this opportunity will hopefully allow for swift justice," stated Crenshaw.