Who is the Best coach

Guest catfever

I did not mean that just because you have talent, you aren't a good coach.  Yes, you have to motivate and get them to play as a team.  I was saying that coaches with less talent often get overlooked in conversations like this even though they have done great jobs where they are at.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsportsfan

It takes a good coach to win at any level with any level of talent.

Let's just remember that class and teaching the kids character and accountability are more important than wins and losses.

Winning is fun at the time, but character lasts a lifetime.

The list at the beggining is pretty good but i think a coach a lot of people forget is James Knowles of Kelly. Even though they are a smaller private school he has taken his team to the state championship game for the last four years and he has won it for the last three. This year they will make a strong standing in the state play-offs, and there is a strong posibility of a fourth state title.

What about Bob Knight probably the greatest coach of all time..has lost his temper 2 or 3 times ..lol point is the names of the post was who is the best coach not the nicest.. carter is a great coach and his kids love him and love playing for him and by the way i dont remember him throwing a chair at spurger i was there and he didnt do anything quite out of reason...except for turn around and try to calm down an obnoxious old man from west hardin.... but back to the post again sutherland is by far the best active coach in the area. with i think carter somewhere around 2nd or 3rd as far as joubert what coach couldnt win with the talent he has been given the past 2 or 3 yrs??

i agree that Southerland is the best coach in the area... but i got 2 names that no one has brought up that i have to throw out there....

Joubert - Kountze head coach

Williams - Silsbee head coach

both are very good... Williams coached with Southerland at Kountze when they won the state championship

I DO NOT KNOW HIS NAME BUT THE COACH FROM BIG SANDY IMPRESSED ME HIS TEAM WAS WELL PREPARED AND HUSTLED. DID NOT ENJOY WATCHING HD LOSE BUT ENJOYED WATCHING TWO TEAMS PLAY HARD.  THEY LOOK LIKE THEY RUN BUT KEEP THE SCORES DOWN LOW, BIG SANDY SCORES ABOUT THE SAME IN ALL THEIR GAMES, NOT I MISTAKE[quote author=hj_hawk_60 link=topic=13278.msg109044#msg109044 date=11696074

Joubert - Kountze head coach

MY OPINION GOOD COACH, LOT OF TALENT, BUT THERE IS MORE TAUGHT IN ATHLETICS THAN ATHLETICS, MORALS. I WAS NOT THERE SO MAYBE EVERYBODY PLAYED BUT 111 TO 40 OR 50. THEM KIDS ARE SOMEONES BABY

UT#1, I was sitting in between the man from West Hardin and Coach Carter during their arguement.  It's just plain not true to say that he turned around and tried to "calm down" the man from West Hardin.  He turned around and insulted and threatened the man and ESCALATED the situation.  He may be a great coach; his players may love him; the players' parents may love him.  That's all great, but what he did during that game was embarassing and unprofessional.  I'm not saying he wasn't provoked, but all coaches have to deal with taunting fans every now and then (not saying it's right), but they have to be able to control themselves and stay in the game and out of the stands.  Almost everyone in the visitor's stands that day heard exactly what he said and saw exactly what he did, and trust me, we were not impressed.

All that said, you're right, it's not about who's the nicest coach, so he may very well belong on that top 5 list.  I think it's great for you to stick up for your coach, but I just don't think it's right to get on here and try to make him into the good guy in this particular situation.  He wasn't. 

Also, Coach Joubert is a very, very good coach in more ways than one.  I think it's ridiculous to try to say that just because a coach has talent, he doesn't play just as major of a role in a team's success. 

Mr. Reality, the coach from Big Sandy is Coach Foster.  He is an outstanding coach!

Guest allsportsfan

I was also in the stands at the game when Coach Carter addressed the fan. The fan wasn't standing up or being aggressive.

Part of being a great coach is teaching your players self-control and how to perform under scrutiny. You are also to teach them professionalism.

That night I believe he failed in both.

If you coach long enough, you may compile wins, you may win a championship, but your character ultimately decides who you are. 

Coach Foster-Big Sandy, Kent Fuller- West Hardin, are both very good and very classy coaches. Their players play hard every game. 

I was also at the west hardin warren game and the confonrtatikon was nowhere near what yall are making it to be the west hardin fans were severly out of order one woman actually had to be ejected from the gym and a couple of other times the games was paused because of the fans... he definately deserves to be on the list and as far as joubert goes i guess thats how you spell it. Its true that just because he has talent doesnt mean hes not a good coach he asnt been there long enough to establish that all i was saying is there arent many coaches that couldnt have taken the players he has had in the past 3 years and won at least 1 state championship.

im not even going to start an argument with u sportsmom u r one of the most biased ppl on here you think west hardin is one of the greatest teams in the area what carter did might not have been right but there is only so much crap a person can take from a rowdy old man b4 he says some something and he did not threaten to come into the stands he told the old man to shut up which he well deserved..but that aside get back to the topic chris carter is one of the best coaches in the area im out

UT-- i didnt want to argue either but never, never tell a woman something didnt happen when she KNOWS it did  :)

----i was right there and YES he did tell the man he would come into the stands!!! he also proceeded to tell the man he would meet him outside!!!! i heard that myself!!! not arguing--- STATING FACTS---a coach should never address anyone in the stands..i am not saying he is a horrible coach, i just trying to get u to understand why we have the opinion we have

oh and by the way what is wrong with me being proud of a team that has came such a long way!!!! and anyone who gets on this site has a team they are rooting for....no difference...I DO THINK WH IS ONE OF THE GREATEST TEAMS IN THE AREA...dont you?

You make a good point hawk,  we all seem to have a different definition of "best". I voted for Sutherland because he has proven himself to be a winner and builder of winning programs. He and others seem to have run some scores up and I have a problem with that. But that doesn't mean I don't respect them. I am a Bobby Knight fan and he can also be a jerk when he needs to be.  In competative sports sometimes you have to be a jerk, or lack class to be the winner. And if isn't about winning turn the scoreboard off.  If the definition of "best" is a class act, nice guy or teacher of morals that may be a whole different list.

Guest allsportsfan

Some things last longer than wins.

Win at all costs? I have been around those kind. Watch your back, might get a knife in it.

I guess honesty, integrity, and character meen nothing compared to winning.

That is why a lot more of Coach Smith's and Coach K's players went further into the NBA and Knight only had one his whole career I think.

It is sad to teach young men to win at all cost and it doesn't matter how you act.

That will not get them far in college or in that work force. 

Guest ltownbaseball9

The Lumberton coach is not a bad coach.....just doesn't have the players to have a good team.....He needs that one guy that can make a difference and just doesn't have that guy....so I rank him in the top 5 around the area......you can boutte,williams, and somemore coaches but they have good players and a great player....you just have to teach them discpline.....now henry he doesnt have any good players just descent and they play some good teams tough......just think if he had a 2 good players how good they will do becasue they play hard for him.......

Okay, I'm  not trying to be ugly, but...

UT#1, where were you sitting at the WH-Warren game?  Unless you were sitting in the middle of the WH fans, you didn't hear what was said.  Yes, a WH fan was ejected from the game because of something she said to one of the refs.  THAT was the only time the game was paused because of a WH fanThe first time the game was stopped was because of the guy sitting on the end of Warren's bench.  (I've heard he's Carter's dad, but I'm not sure if that's true.)  HE was mouthing off at the ref and the ref blew his whistle and address him AND Coach Carter about it.  So watch your accusations!  The West Hardin fans were NOT out of order.  That ONE fan who was ejected was out of order and that was between her and the ref and had nothing to do with the coach.  (And he did threaten to come up into the stands, and I would not say that if I hadn't heard it with my own ears.) 

Warfan, I know several winning, very good, even GREAT coaches who coach with class and integrity because they are people who possess class and integrity.  And if you have to play without class and integrity and teach teenage boys to play without class and integrity in order to win, then yes, I say it's better to turn the score board off (and I do realize that not everyone would agree with that opinion!).  Having said that, I will agree with you that "class" isn't what this thread was originally about, and you certainly don't have to have class to be one of the best coaches.  I do understand what you're saying there, but in my opinion, you CAN be one of the best and have class and integrity.  Example:  New England Patriots coach - little to no class, great coach.  Indiannapolis Colts coach - tons of class, great coach.  I guess the fact is that different people value different things in life (hence, all the differing opinions! :)).  Some people value winning above character and some people value character above winning.  My respect goes to the second set of people.

Ok it was coach carters dad that was there and he was not arguing with the refs.... west hardin has a good team no not one of the best in the area but still good letsinger makes thagt team hes a great player and having a couple of other decent players to dish to helps him but ive seen on other boards where you WH fans were comparing them to EC and HJ either one of those teams this yr would play WH to a 40 pt defeat best case scenario..... now we can stop arguing  Coach Chris Carter one of the best coaches in the area PERIOD...

This has almost gotten comical.To say Cris Carter doen't have class is like saying the pope ain't catholic.The guy is one of the classiest around,he is a dedicated father and an elementary school principle.He is also a very competetive coach,all the good ones are.I have seen a ton of coaches over the years interact with the fans and normally its forgotten by the end of the game.Saw the same type situation from one of the EC coaches a couple of years ago and he is one of the classiest guys around.Basketball is an emotional game,that has to be played and coached that way.I know this will stir up a can of worms but Cris would be on my list of best coaches and classiest guys,he'd be on yours to if you knew him.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder