Ohio State LB to Transfer

OldTimer

Ohio State LB Mike Mitchell it appears is going to transfer to get closer to his ill father. He was red shirted his freshman year at Ohio State. In the recruiting wars it appears Texas A&M was 2nd behind Ohio State. He was a 5 star rated LB from I believe Plano. What at the chances the Aggies recruiting year gets a little bit better in the near future? If not will he consider Texas and help their defense?

Ohio State LB Mike Mitchell it appears is going to transfer to get closer to his ill father. He was red shirted his freshman year at Ohio State. In the recruiting wars it appears Texas A&M was 2nd behind Ohio State. He was a 5 star rated LB from I believe Plano. What at the chances the Aggies recruiting year gets a little bit better in the near future? If not will he consider Texas and help their defense?

Great post................He will a great pick up for whoever can get him

SEC - 0   tamu - 2

HOOKEM

His little brother Mickey had committed to tOSU to play basketball as well.  Mike is a beast - set the Nike Camp Sparq (sp?) record - a series of combine-like drills (vertical leap, 40 yd, shuttle drill) to test overall athleticism.  And this from a LB.  My guess is it will be a school that his father would like Mickey to play basketball at as well.

By the way, the family moved to Dallas from Florida and Florida State was initially considered the front runner for Mikey before he signed with tOSU.  OU was also heavily in the mix.  Will be interesting to follow.

I really do not know just the article from SB Nation stated that A&M finished 2nd for him.

Here is the quote:  "Texas A&M finished second in the race for Mitchell's commitment last year."

But that is a far as my knowledge goes - Just hope he considers A&M as we can always use a good LB.

I really do not know just the article from SB Nation stated that A&M finished 2nd for him.

Here is the quote:  "Texas A&M finished second in the race for Mitchell's commitment last year."

But that is a far as my knowledge goes - Just hope he considers A&M as we can always use a good LB.

He would look better in burnt orange..........but then everyone does!.............lol

HOOKEM

Your source may be better than mine...my memory!  In fact, we can probably say "is" not "may" ;)   I only followed his recruiting because of his younger brother, Mickey.  It was kind of known that they would be going to school together (very tight-knit family), and Mickey was one of the top 10 kids in the country in his class at that time in hoops (he was a sophomore I believe).  I do know, as a Longhorn, Texas was never really in the mix for Mike (I assume not for a lack of trying).  I also remember OU being in his top 5 (I think - also main school I didn't want getting him), and FSU being considered a front runner (that was while watching the ESPN show at that Nike camp) due to his family originally being from Florida. 

A&M should definitely be in the hunt.  Sumlin's going to need some help from Kennedy with Mickey to close the deal.  Before Mickey committed to tOSU to follow his brother, his other finalists were Duke, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, OU, and UT.  So we are kind of like A&M, we were at least in the hunt for Mickey, but not for Mikey.  For either of us to get the one, we need to convince the other (IMO - still think they'll end up together).  My fear is both will end up at OU. 

For what it's worth, for both of their sakes, I would much rather the Aggies land them than that place up North!

I think that if it comes down to a joint decision as to what school they will attend as brothers this could possibly hurt A&M chances due to the state of the current basketball team.  This could put Texas or Baylor more in the lead if they want to have little brother go to a better basketball school - hope they both choose A&M.

I think that if it comes down to a joint decision as to what school they will attend as brothers this could possibly hurt A&M chances due to the state of the current basketball team.  This could put Texas or Baylor more in the lead if they want to have little brother go to a better basketball school - hope they both choose A&M.

I hadn't thought about Baylor because they weren't previously in the mix.  PhatMack brings up a good point about proximity too.  Will be interesting to see if they are in the hunt.  Would make sense for them to be.

I guess it all depends on how close he wants to be to his dad and if the brothers want to go to the same school.

TCU- 1 hour
Baylor- 2 hours
College Station & Norman- 3 hours
Austin- 3:45 hours

Lets see:  Austin-College Station, Austin-College Station, Austin-College Station????  Even my Aggie Ex nephew (great kid, going to A&M did not in anyway make him a great kid.  He did get a great education there) chose Austin!!!!