Newbie Questions

We have a 7yr girl.  She plays Little League but we would like something a little more for her.  We have questions because we've never been down the select road before.  We have some friends that play select and when they have tournaments they play on Sat and Sundays.  Although we would be very dedicated to play I wouldn't want us to miss church on Sunday mornings.  Would that be a problem?  Also I know some kids play select and little League at the same time. Is this frowned upon? Or do some quit select during league season?  Also is select all year around?  So many questions. Any and all input welcomed. 

Almost all tournaments are on Saturday and Sunday. As for missing on Sunday, as a coach, would make it difficult for the team. They are relying on her being part of the team. It takes commitment. As for playing league and select, that is a preferance by individual coaches. Select is normally year round. You have your fall season and then spring. Each coach plays a different number of tournaments thru out the year.

The joke for most is that Softball IS church.. because when you play select you pretty much do nothing but play softball.. even Jennie Finch talks about how her family vacations were softball trips. I personally think 7 is too young for select.. my daughter's old pitching coach who played league, select, college and now professionally in Germany told us not to do it until she was at least 12 due to the "burn out" factor. We started when she was 10 but we did worry about the burn out factor. So far at 14 she still loves it. The only time she came close to burning out was when we first started select and she was still in league so for a short time she was doing both. It was just too much. She was literally practicing or playing every day of the week just about and she was close to ready to quit by the time the season ended. Other than that brief time she's had no problems. But when you play select the team has to be a priority. Some Sundays you won't play but on the ones you do .. she needs to be there. It's all about what the commitment to the team/game is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin