What distinguishes between

[quote name="BH85" post="1395640" timestamp="1366292668"]
They are actually synonymous.  Mr DV, though never wrong, got it backwards.  You'll hear pick ON ball and screen OFF ball from most coaches and analysts.
[/quote]

Now you've done it.  You have made the serious mistake of questioning "basketball royalty"

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1395641" timestamp="1366292757"]
[quote author=BH85 link=topic=111217.msg1395640#msg1395640 date=1366292668]
They are actually synonymous.  Mr DV, though never wrong, got it backwards.  You'll hear pick ON ball and screen OFF ball from most coaches and analysts.
[/quote]

Now you've done it.  You have made the serious mistake of questioning "basketball royalty"
[/quote]  :o :o ;D ;D

Hope this helps:

[b]Afro pick[/b], a type of comb typically for kinky, coiled hair
[b]Horseman's pick[/b], a weapon used by medieval cavalry units in Europe
[b]Pickaxe[/b], a hand tool
[b]Lockpick[/b] (disambiguation), a tool used for lock picking

[b]Window screen[/b], a wire mesh that covers a window opening
[b]Fire screen[/b], a device to put in front of a fireplace
[b]Folding screen[/b], a piece of decorative furniture
[b]Rainscreen[/b], in building construction
[b]Smoke screen[/b], smoke released in order to mask the movement or location of military units

[quote name="BH85" post="1395640" timestamp="1366292668"]
[/quote]
whoops forgot to say in basketball they are synonymous.  It's okay to get caught screening your nose but not picking.

[quote name="BH85" post="1395699" timestamp="1366302515"]
2 more important questions would be:  Do you box out for rebounds or block out for rebounds?  Do you run in-bounds plays or out-of-bounds plays?
[/quote]

I will wait for basketball royalty to address these intricacies.

You do not set a ball PICK, you set a BALL SCREEN....You do not set a back SCREEN without the ball, you set a BACK PICK....The CORRECT term IS screen and roll, however, it has been watered down and said incorrectly so much that PICK & ROLL has been accepted as the correct term... ::) ::)...Amateurs... ::) ::) ::)... ;D

*Nobody executes the 'screen n roll' better than John Stockton and Karl Malone! ??? ???

Doesn't quite sound right, does it?

That's why setting a 'pick' is definitely the term commonly used on the ball, hence 'pick n roll'.

*Kevin Garnett sets a 'pick' on the block which freed up Ray Allen in the corner. ???

Uh, NO!!

KG sets a 'screen' on the block... is the correct term.
In some instances, the terms are interchangeable. 

I believe in NFHS rules book along with NBA rule book they use screen and don't even mention pick and that covers both on and off ball screens.  Maybe it's kind of like the mythical 'over the back' or 'reaching' foul that people argue for.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1395933" timestamp="1366377389"] ;
You do not set a ball PICK, you set a BALL SCREEN....You do not set a back SCREEN without the ball, you set a BACK PICK....The CORRECT term IS screen and roll, however, it has been watered down and said incorrectly so much that PICK & ROLL has been accepted as the correct term... ::) ::)...Amateurs... ::) ::) ::)... ;D
[/quote]amateurs indeed. I even picked Georgetown to beat FGCU in my bracket.  ;D

[quote name="no-look" post="1395976" timestamp="1366386604"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=111217.msg1395933#msg1395933 date=1366377389] ;
[/quote]amateurs indeed. I even picked Georgetown to beat FGCU in my bracket.  ;D
[/quote]

Is that because they play "real" basketball at Georgetown but not at FGCU?

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1395991" timestamp="1366390750"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=111217.msg1395976#msg1395976 date=1366386604]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=111217.msg1395933#msg1395933 date=1366377389] ;
[/quote] ;D

Is that because they play "real" basketball at Georgetown but not at FGCU?
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder