Silsbee falls to #1 Yates

[quote name="Tiger05" post="1380648" timestamp="1362000225"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=109850.msg1380642#msg1380642 date=1361999132]
Last time I checked a 15 point loss, in which Silsbee never got closer than 4 in the 2nd half is NO CHANCE.  I admit Silsbee hung around longer than most with Yates, but in the end they had no chance of winning.  Yates is too deep.
[/quote]
That is like saying HJ had no chance at beating Silsbee this year
[/quote]

It is what it is.  Silsbee defeated HJ by 5 and 8 and won district.  Congrats on the district title.  But ultimately nobody cares about district titles now do they?

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1380649" timestamp="1362000410"]
[quote author=Tiger05 link=topic=109850.msg1380648#msg1380648 date=1362000225]
Last time I checked a 15 point loss, in which Silsbee never got closer than 4 in the 2nd half is NO CHANCE.  I admit Silsbee hung around longer than most with Yates, but in the end they had no chance of winning.  Yates is too deep.
[/quote]
[/quote]

It is what it is.  Silsbee defeated HJ by 5 and 8 and won district.  Congrats on the district title.  But ultimately nobody cares about district titles now do they?
[/quote]

I care about them. I personally think they have some importance.

[quote name="Tiger05" post="1380648" timestamp="1362000225"]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Very good point.

If Silsbee plays Yates 10 times, Silsbee loses all 10...Now AAW you said yourself that you would "rather not" ever play them again, right? Now in my book, that is the DEFINITION of NO CHANCE at winning against them....No they are not the team they were a few years ago, which would have been WORSE, but they are still just better...at this point.  Do not know what the future teams may bring, but for now, there is NO CHANCE. ;)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1380660" timestamp="1362001428"]
If Silsbee plays Yates 10 times, Silsbee loses all 10...[b]Now AAW you said yourself that you would "rather not" ever play them again, right?[/b] Now in my book, that is the DEFINITION of NO CHANCE at winning against them....No they are not the team they were a few years ago, which would have been WORSE, but they are still just better...at this point.  Do not know what the future teams may bring, but for now, there is NO CHANCE. ;)
[/quote]

Nope. To be accurate, I stated I was a bit torn on the subject of playing Yates. Part of me wants redemption for Silsbee in a game they definitely had a CHANCE to win. Part of me feels like getting a rematch could possibly be worse.

The "no chance" comments are ludicrous. Particularly from folks who did not attend the game. ;) ::)

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1380642" timestamp="1361999132"]
[/quote]
Well the last time I checked Silsbee was down by 3 with 3 minutes to play, unlike HJ, who were blown out in the 3rd and 4th qtr... That was no chance ;)

[quote name="ST413" post="1380663" timestamp="1362001884"]
So DV if your team were to play Indiana and were down by 3 with four minutes to go, you would just put th on the bus and go home because you definitely have no chance?
[/quote]
It was CUT TO THREE with three minutes to go?  :o...Did not know that bit of info... 8)

[quote name="Farmer Fran" post="1380677" timestamp="1362002760"]
[/quote]
Well the last time I checked Silsbee was down by 3 with 3 minutes to play, unlike HJ, who were blown out in the 3rd and 4th qtr... That was no chance ;)
[/quote]

It was 9 with 1:30 to go in the 3rd when HJ's post picked up his 4th.  Silsbee kept it closer for a while because of their depth.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1380684" timestamp="1362003128"]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=109850.msg1380663#msg1380663 date=1362001884]
So DV if your team were to play Indiana and were down by 3 with four minutes to go, you would just put th on the bus and go home because you definitely have no chance?
[/quote]
It was CUT TO THREE with three minutes to go?  :o...Did not know that bit of info... 8)
[/quote]

Yes  the Tigers very much had a chance.  I fealt like we started throwing up 3's a lil early but that is what got the margin up to 15.  Not sure but the largest lead up until then was around 10 I believe.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1380450" timestamp="1361979933"]
[quote author=Tiger24of84 link=topic=109850.msg1380391#msg1380391 date=1361970170]
Really, "a super great year?" I don't know whether to regurgitate or laugh at this comment, once again the inability of these young men to hit a jump shot consistently has proved to be their down fall again (along with free throws) and sugar coating it has to stop. They hear all season long how "quick and agrresive they are" but when they make it out of this weak district schedule to face height and a team not intimidated by their press their weakness of not being able to shoot the ball is magnified ten fold. I can't for the life of me figure out how you can consistently suit up 12 to 14 guys and only 2 of them can even come close to shooting a less than impressive 40% from the floor. Until the emphasis of the fundamentals; boxing out on EVERY rebound, closing out on penetrating guards properly, investing in the art of shooting free throws and learning how to SHOOT the ball in the mid-range area of the court Sam Houston will remain the last stop of the season for this program. I love an effective press but when it's the only thing working for you and the opposition is beating you in every other aspect of the game it always comes back to which team won the other catorgories and not just the turnover battle, WORK ON THAT JUMP SHOT TIGERS!

P.S.

This from a former Tiger who played in the press system and knows first hand how not developing a proficient jumpshot in your high school era can keep you on the end of the floor working with your college's training staff versus being on the other end where they are learning/running the offensive and defensive scheme's, still love those Tigers for life though!!!
[/quote] Ouch!!    Very realistic post about the state of high school basketball.
[/quote]

I agree with both post. Fundamentals are out the window in this day and time. You can see it at the college and professional level. It has really gotten bad on the girls side. Example; the Lumberton team of 07 with Pickering and Wilson could beat this years Ozen team with no problem and Ozen was ranked No. 1 at one point. It starts with little dribblers, parents are so consumed with making their kid the star that they have lost focus with the task at hand.  They teach kids plays in practice instead of fundamentals they so much need. Plays should be the last thing you do in practice and I mean the last 15 minutes. The young kids don't run the plays anyway. This is not only happening in basketball but football also. Hardly any kids know how to tackle anymore. Really sad to watch.

I see other people saw the same things I saw.  They need to learn how to shoot.  Running, pressing that's fine and good.  But they need to teach those young people how to shoot a jump shot, and how to shoot free throws.  A  short to medium height team that has 4 or 5 players that can dribble, run, and also stop and pop a jump shot can beat a team like Yates.  If all you do is drive in you're playing into their hand.

Little dribblers should hire a fundamentals coach.  This coach should be able to teach the kiddos the fine art of shooting a finger touch jump shot.  I also think Silsbee would get better experience by entering some of those Houston tournaments.  That would be better exposure than that tournament in Sherman, Tx.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1380716" timestamp="1362007333"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109850.msg1380450#msg1380450 date=1361979933]
[quote author=Tiger24of84 link=topic=109850.msg1380391#msg1380391 date=1361970170]
Really, "a super great year?" I don't know whether to regurgitate or laugh at this comment, once again the inability of these young men to hit a jump shot consistently has proved to be their down fall again (along with free throws) and sugar coating it has to stop. They hear all season long how "quick and agrresive they are" but when they make it out of this weak district schedule to face height and a team not intimidated by their press their weakness of not being able to shoot the ball is magnified ten fold. I can't for the life of me figure out how you can consistently suit up 12 to 14 guys and only 2 of them can even come close to shooting a less than impressive 40% from the floor. Until the emphasis of the fundamentals; boxing out on EVERY rebound, closing out on penetrating guards properly, investing in the art of shooting free throws and learning how to SHOOT the ball in the mid-range area of the court Sam Houston will remain the last stop of the season for this program. I love an effective press but when it's the only thing working for you and the opposition is beating you in every other aspect of the game it always comes back to which team won the other catorgories and not just the turnover battle, WORK ON THAT JUMP SHOT TIGERS!

P.S.

This from a former Tiger who played in the press system and knows first hand how not developing a proficient jumpshot in your high school era can keep you on the end of the floor working with your college's training staff versus being on the other end where they are learning/running the offensive and defensive scheme's, still love those Tigers for life though!!!
[/quote] Ouch!!    Very realistic post about the state of high school basketball.
[/quote]

I agree with both post. Fundamentals are out the window in this day and time. You can see it at the college and professional level. It has really gotten bad on the girls side. Example; the Lumberton team of 07 with Pickering and Wilson could beat this years Ozen team with no problem and Ozen was ranked No. 1 at one point. It starts with little dribblers, parents are so consumed with making their kid the star that they have lost focus with the task at hand.  They teach kids plays in practice instead of fundamentals they so much need. Plays should be the last thing you do in practice and I mean the last 15 minutes. The young kids don't run the plays anyway. This is not only happening in basketball but football also. Hardly any kids know how to tackle anymore. Really sad to watch.
[/quote]

Their inability to execute basic basketball skills became so tough to watch that I literally left @ halftime during the last meeting between Silsbee and HJ at Ford Arena as I just couldn't sit through another layup fest. The beauty of the game for me is watching a high schooler come off of a screen and knock down a catch and shoot jumper or pull up off the dribble and knock it down. If you would care to see poetry in motion check out a high school sophomore named Noah Blackwell on youtube, this young man is Ray Allen in a teenage body and what EVERY high school player should be trying to mimmick as early as the 8th grade. The rise in popularity of And 1 and that dabnabbit 3 point line has become the thorn in the side for many of the current and up and coming player's. That being the case that pressing and shooting layups is unfortunately probably here to stay  :-[.....

[quote name="Kountzer" post="1380828" timestamp="1362026742"]
I see other people saw the same things I saw.  They need to learn how to shoot.  Running, pressing that's fine and good.  But they need to teach those young people how to shoot a jump shot, and how to shoot free throws.  A  short to medium height team that has 4 or 5 players that can dribble, run, and also stop and pop a jump shot can beat a team like Yates.  If all you do is drive in you're playing into their hand.

Little dribblers should hire a fundamentals coach.  This coach should be able to teach the kiddos the fine art of shooting a finger touch jump shot.  [color=red]I also[/color] [color=red]think Silsbee would get better experience by entering some of those Houston tournaments.  That would be better exposure than that tournament in Sherman, Tx.[/color][/quote]

So, if Silsbee had played in Houston tourney rather than Sherman, they would have had a different outcome with Yates?

[quote name="Tiger24of84" post="1380937" timestamp="1362074087"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=109850.msg1380716#msg1380716 date=1362007333]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109850.msg1380450#msg1380450 date=1361979933]

P.S.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Their inability to execute basic basketball skills became so tough to watch that I literally left @ halftime during the last meeting between Silsbee and HJ at Ford Arena as I just couldn't sit through another layup fest. The beauty of the game for me is watching a high schooler come off of a screen and knock down a catch and shoot jumper or pull up off the dribble and knock it down. If you would care to see poetry in motion check out a high school sophomore named Noah Blackwell on youtube, this young man is Ray Allen in a teenage body and what EVERY high school player should be trying to mimmick as early as the 8th grade. The rise in popularity of And 1 and that dabnabbit 3 point line has become the thorn in the side for many of the current and up and coming player's. That being the case that pressing and shooting layups is unfortunately probably here to stay  :-[.....
[/quote] Seen that kid on the west coast when he was a pup. Still has game.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1380954" timestamp="1362076381"]
[quote author=Kountzer link=topic=109850.msg1380828#msg1380828 date=1362026742]

Little dribblers should hire a fundamentals coach.  This coach should be able to teach the kiddos the fine art of shooting a finger touch jump shot.  [color=red]I also[/color] [color=red]think Silsbee would get better experience by entering some of those Houston tournaments.  That would be better exposure than that tournament in Sherman, Tx.[/color][/quote]

So, if Silsbee had played in Houston tourney rather than Sherman, they would have had a different outcome with Yates?
[/quote] Possibly!!!! Whachu try'n to sey Nash ???

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1380668" timestamp="1362002297"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=109850.msg1380660#msg1380660 date=1362001428]
If Silsbee plays Yates 10 times, Silsbee loses all 10...[b]Now AAW you said yourself that you would "rather not" ever play them again, right?[/b] Now in my book, that is the DEFINITION of NO CHANCE at winning against them....No they are not the team they were a few years ago, which would have been WORSE, but they are still just better...at this point.  Do not know what the future teams may bring, but for now, there is NO CHANCE. ;)
[/quote]

Nope. To be accurate, I stated I was a bit torn on the subject of playing Yates. Part of me wants redemption for Silsbee in a game they definitely had a CHANCE to win. Part of me feels like getting a rematch could possibly be worse.

The "no chance" comments are ludicrous. Particularly from folks who did not attend the game. ;) ::)
[/quote]I posted earlier that Yates would win 24 out of 25 times. And I continue to believe that. But the most curious thing about separating personal bias from disinterested opinion (which of course can also be wrong) are the unstated assumptions. Your comments about wanting a rematch and then pausing with "maybe not" is very very rare. A great example is how some on here look at the missed point-blank shots and the 3's and think things like, "If we'd just clean those up next time...." without even realizing (because they carry so much personal bias/loyalty/investment)that  they never pause to think, "You know, next time Yates might just rotate someone back when the PG drives the lane or crashes the offensive boards and we just might not get 6 or 8 Hail Marys resulting in uncontested layups, cuz, you know, Coach Wise might not be everything, but a poor coach he ain't." That simply never occurs to people. Their bias just lets them assume "next time we'll get all the good things, and hopefully we can clean up the bad things."  Human nature is such an interesting thing. 

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1380963" timestamp="1362076886"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=109850.msg1380954#msg1380954 date=1362076381]
[quote author=Kountzer link=topic=109850.msg1380828#msg1380828 date=1362026742]

[/quote] Possibly!!!! Whachu try'n to sey Nash ???
[/quote]

I am saying that Silsbee played a very good game against Yates and if their schedule had been altered in any way, it is highly unlikely it would have changed the result against Yates.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1380660" timestamp="1362001428"]
If Silsbee plays Yates 10 times, Silsbee loses all 10...Now AAW you said yourself that you would "rather not" ever play them again, right? Now in my book, that is the DEFINITION of NO CHANCE at winning against them....No they are not the team they were a few years ago, which would have been WORSE, but they are still just better...at this point.  Do not know what the future teams may bring, but for now, there is NO CHANCE. ;)
[/quote]

You would have said the exact same thing about Minnesota playing against Indiana and you know how that turned out.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder