Woodard: Larger Crowd Could Have Made A Difference

Four things contributed to the low turnout. First and foremost, The product. People are already tired of Lamar playing a decent team at home and getting hammered.
Second, the wheather. Nobody wants to tailgate and watch a game in the rain!
Third, the time change. Having games at 3 instead of 7 hurt. I was a season ticket holder last year and with all the Southland games at 3, I won't be able to attend any more home games this year.
Fourth, having a home game televised. This goes along with the wheather. Why go to the stadium and sit in the rain when stay at home and watch it?
All of these factors contributed to the low turnout. However, I believe the product is the main factor.

Where to even begin..........

I have had season tickets from day one.  Woodard needs to step it up and do his job better.  The kind of mistakes that happened in that game yesterday come from poor preparation.  The truth of the matter is this is SE Texas and people are only going to come out for a mediocre product for so long.  The weather was predicted to be bad, the concession food is horrid, the game was early.  Do the math.

[quote name="jdcurran235" post="1287452" timestamp="1349048087"]
I cant believe he said that.
[/quote]

I can't either. We ( Lamar) are stinking the place up, so let's blame the fans for our poor performance.
I believe Coach Woodard is in trouble and he knows it.  Maybe the position is beyond his abilities and he is just hoping to take a little heat off himself. But blame the fans for lack of attendance?
If that's the case, whoever is in charge ( AD, College President, someone) needs to call him into the office for a "discussion."

I am a season ticket holder (all three seasons now, and also currently 13 years for basketball). My family and I did not attend the game yesterday because we donated our tickets to a local charity (Special Olympics) so that a family could go who had never been before. That family did attend from what I was told.

Now, had we kept our tickets for yesterday, I highly doubt my family would have gone because of the weather coupled with the fact that the game was televised. My youngest son has autism and he doesn't do well at rainy games. It's just not conducive to a fun afternoon for our family.

I have no problem with the 3pm games. It's all the same to me.

I agree, the product is not what I would like it to be, but it is not the determining factor in our decision not to attend.

The combination of rain (or possibility of) and TV will always hurt home attendance. SLC TV did the game, not much Lamar could do about that. But I think it is always a mistake to have a local TV station broadcast home games live, which Fox 4 did a couple of weeks ago.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1287494" timestamp="1349052086"]
I am a season ticket holder (all three seasons now, and also currently 13 years for basketball). My family and I did not attend the game yesterday because we donated our tickets to a local charity (Special Olympics) so that a family could go who had never been before. That family did attend from what I was told.

Now, had we kept our tickets for yesterday, I highly doubt my family would have gone because of the weather coupled with the fact that the game was televised. My youngest son has autism and he doesn't do well at rainy games. It's just not conducive to a fun afternoon for our family.

I have no problem with the 3pm games. It's all the same to me.

I agree, the product is not what I would like it to be, but it is not the determining factor in our decision not to attend.

The combination of rain (or possibility of) and TV will always hurt home attendance. SLC TV did the game, not much Lamar could do about that. But I think it is always a mistake to have a local TV station broadcast home games live, which Fox 4 did a couple of weeks ago.
[/quote]

You did what is right, AggiesWeAre! You know I'd like to volunteer for the Special Olympics! Other than the crowd, the TV broadcast should have been blacked out in my opinion! Also, the Cards didn't win because they didn't play as well as expected! Other than that, they need more fans in the stands!

If I remember right Woodard has a potential bonus tied to attendance.  I believe that may have been what drove him to make that comment. 
I almost didn't go to the game because of rain and the fact that I could sit at home and watch the game. If it wasn't for my friend who reminded me that we did it for Lee we could do it again.  If not for him I would have stayed on my comfortable couch and not risked getting wet.  I believe the potential for rain and the game being televised are the top two factors that kept fans away.  I think the last paragraph of the article is the best.  I hope we haven't gotten to that point already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder