GOOSE CREEK MEMORIAL AT NEDERLAND BROADCAST/Dogs win 45-20!!

WOSgrad

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1264244" timestamp="1347074302"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=102668.msg1264150#msg1264150 date=1347072879]
could have been worse
[/quote]

Yeah. It kind of sucks for the starters because their PPG average is hurt but it was nice to give them some rest. Great job Dogs! Tough test next week!
[/quote] Im telling you man the team i saw last week, could have beaten the brakes off anybody ranked aboved them #5 thru #9 IMO

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1264653" timestamp="1347106451"]
How the heck did this happen GCM fans?
Turnovers seemed to be the culprit.  Maybe some long punt returns?

[size=10pt][b]Looking at the stats in the Chronicle, very surprising to see this score when GCM put up more yards of offense than Nederland.[/b][/size]
Did Durden play?  I didn't see his name show up in the stats.
[/quote]

Look at the first downs though. It was 15 to 5 and could have been worse.

I have three reasons for the skewed yardage. There are others but the main three in my opinion.

1. Nederland worked with a short field. For the second week in a row their defense gave the offense great field position and they didn't need to drive 80 yards for a score.
2. Nederland pulled the main starters out at 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter.
3. GCM had a 59 yard gain on the last play of the game.

All those add up to it appearing in the stats (except first downs) that GCM won or played a close game.

Obviously the score and yardage could have been worse if Nederland had kept the starters in but what it the point? Most teams let the backup players come in when a game gets out of hand and so it was with this game.

GCM didn't look so bad as much as just the wheels came off. If it could go wrong, it did. Like one instance where they had one great play set up with a fake pass, a fake draw and then a toss over the middle. The play was run what appeared to be perfectly and the pass was dead on the money to a wide open receiver that would have gone a long way...... but the receiver dropped the pass.

It was just one of those nights.

[quote name="tvc" post="1264658" timestamp="1347107434"]
[quote author=panamamyers link=topic=102668.msg1264653#msg1264653 date=1347106451]
How the heck did this happen GCM fans?
Turnovers seemed to be the culprit.  Maybe some long punt returns?

[size=10pt][b]Looking at the stats in the Chronicle, very surprising to see this score when GCM put up more yards of offense than Nederland.[/b][/size]
Did Durden play?  I didn't see his name show up in the stats.
[/quote]

Look at the first downs though. It was 15 to 5 and could have been worse.

I have three reasons for the skewed yardage. There are others but the main three in my opinion.

1. Nederland worked with a short field. For the second week in a row their defense gave the offense great field position and they didn't need to drive 80 yards for a score.
2. Nederland pulled the main starters out at 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter.
3. GCM had a 59 yard gain on the last play of the game.

All those add up to it appearing in the stats (except first downs) that GCM won or played a close game.

Obviously the score and yardage could have been worse if Nederland had kept the starters in but what it the point? Most teams let the backup players come in when a game gets out of hand and so it was with this game.

GCM didn't look so bad as much as just the wheels came off. If it could go wrong, it did. Like one instance where they had one great play set up with a fake pass, a fake draw and then a toss over the middle. The play was run what appeared to be perfectly and the pass was dead on the money to a wide open receiver that would have gone a long way...... but the receiver dropped the pass.

It was just one of those nights.
[/quote]The 2 previous posts by Razor and tvc sum up the stat situation perfectly. GCM had a 74 yard "QB sneak" toward the final 2 minutes of the 1st half. It was their only real success against the first string D. Prior to that, they had one nice drive from their 30 to our 30 that resulted in a 70 yard pick 6 to give Ned a 14-0 lead. I wouldn't read anything into the stats on this one. The starters were pulled with 5:47 left in the 3rd quarter when we led 45-7. The Patriots scored on a long run on the first series against the 2nd teamers and scored a 60 yard TD on the game's final play.I think the GCM fans will tell you that Nederland is as advertised on Defense and VERY underrated on offense. Great team win against a talented team. Next week will be a MAJOR test! Angleton is REAL good from what I have heard.

P.S-- I do not think either of Nederland's first two opponents were weak. I would be surprised if either doesn't make the playoffs. I would say s game between Goose Creek and Crosby would be a high scoring toss up. Crosby has the better defense and GCM has the better O-line. Anyone disagree?

Ned had 90 yards worth of pick 6s resulting in 14 points, but is not figured into total yards. Anther reason the stats/points are skewed.

GCM needs to sustain drives and score. Big plays are nice but can't be live by. Ned's  defense forced punts and scored twice. When the opponent's defense is scoring, it makes for a long night.

Guest UHCoog14
The best thing about a game like last night is that it happened early in the season. GCM came out and went toe-to-toe for about 5 minutes. Then the wheels fell off. Two Pick 6's, fumbled KO, fumble: 24-0. Never recovered.

I think the coaches found their warriors that will play when things go bad. Lots of "coaching points"  on film.

Good luck to Nederland. I would be shocked if there was a better team in 20-4A.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1264693" timestamp="1347111083"]
The best thing about a game like last night is that it happened early in the season. GCM came out and went toe-to-toe for about 5 minutes. Then the wheels fell off. Two Pick 6's, fumbled KO, fumble: 24-0. Never recovered.

I think the coaches found their warriors that will play when things go bad. Lots of "coaching points"  on film.

Good luck to Nederland. I would be shocked if there was a better team in 20-4A.
[/quote]

Thanks, Vidor will be tough as well.  We know not to take anyone for granted esp in 20-4A.

GCM looked good at beginning of game I agree.  Also, GCM have potential for big plays and some nice speed.  Good luck to GCM the rest of season.  It's always nice to play GCM.

Go Dogs!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder