Jasper/ Hires Dickinson from Huntington

Heard we hired our BB coach today..should be public tonight..was really suprised at who it is..coming from a school that has not made the playoffs for a while???  We passed up on some good coaches from the triangle area...Green, landry for example..

Dickinson to serve as new Bulldog Baseball Coach

It appears that Kelly Dickinson, who now serves as baseball coach at nearby Huntington, will fill the seat recently left by the departure of Coach Shawn Mixon, here at Jasper.

The Assistant Superintendent of the Jasper Independent School District said that after reviewing the applicants for the job, Dickinson was selected for the position.

The announcement came following the regular monthly meeting of the Jasper Independent School District on Monday evening.

Mixon, who took the Bulldogs to the State Finals and came back with a trophy in 2007, announced earlier this month that he had decided to move his career to Woodville where he will serve as Head Softball Coach.

Word is that school leaders are still pondering over who will serve as the next superintendent of the district, replacing Dr. Jon Whittemore, who also announced this year that he would also be leaving the district.

There shouldn't be too much head scratching over this.  I don't know Coach Dikinson at all and hopefully he does a great job, but this sure has the look of an AD / head football coach trying to put a successful, non-football sport back in its place after a successful run.  Hopefully I'm wrong but I've got to believe that there were some pretty experienced big names trying to get that job with the baseball talent Jasper has in the pipeline.

Kelly will do a great job. This was my first year to get to know him having coached in the same district.  He has a different approach to handling kids, kind of matter of fact and straight to the point, but his baseball knowledge is second to none.  He took a group of kids at Huntington and had them in the playoff hunt the entire district race.  You all want to talk about who was or wasn't selected, but if they didn't apply then they couldn't have been selected.  Some of you have no clue as to what goes on in the selection process of hiring a coach, you have to deal with teaching fields and certifications among other things.  Just let Kelly do his job.  Jasper will continue to be successful in the future.

Pretty sure they got plenty of input from Coach Mixon on this, and he would know who the best person for the job would be especially being he faced most if not all of the ones who applied. Coach Barbay knows how important baseball is in Jasper and knows he is responsible for it as well as every other sport. Try not to judge too quickly the proof will be in the pudding.

I don't think Coach Barbay has any intention of letting the baseball program slip. The hire might be a little out of the box, but I'm sure Coach Mixon had some input as well. I'm on board until there's reason not to be. That program's been as good as any in the area since Coach Rogers took over about 20 years ago and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Guest ballFan100
Modified by board administrator due to violation of Rule 18 of the forum rules which states:

"The bashing of any particular coach, player, referee, etc will not be tolerated. This includes issues involving their personal lives, coaching/playing style or performance, past experiences, etc."

Warning #1.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder