Who recruits more players? Nederland, HJ, or Yates?

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1227730" timestamp="1338509723"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=100318.msg1227726#msg1227726 date=1338509197]
Yates is on a whole nother level folks. They play a national schedule alongside with national exposure. Build and they shall follow. Also, these so-called elite kids  ::) hang, text, Face Book, etc each other. They ask their pardners to follow them to certain programs. Others want to play in the best programs. Wise's program sells itself.
[/quote]

Many thanks for acknowledging/verifying that this program is, as you say, an elite program which suggests that all high school coaches, in order to compete, ought to be AAU coaches in the off season and develop relationships with players who, at that time, do not attend the school where they are coaching.  OF course, Mr. Wise NEVER discusses attending Yates as a possibility.  He merely lets his current players sell the program on Facebook.  I never realized that, at the high school level, that this was supposed to take place.  Somebody once told me that the competition was intended to take place between schools of similar size with no outside influence.  If enough other schools pick up on these "methods" Texas High School Basketball ought to become very interesting.  I am amazed at some people who belittle "the rich" and how they take unfair advantage of everyone else and yet, at the same time, admire situations such as this one.
[/quote]I said "SO-called" elite kids." Coach Wise can't coach kids who attend Yates. Be interesting to see how many kids played on his AAU teams and transferred to Yates. The players I know at Yates did not playy for Wise's AAU team.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1227726" timestamp="1338509197"]
Yates is on a whole nother level folks. They play a national schedule alongside with national exposure. Build and they shall follow. Also, these so-called elite kids  ::) hang, text, Face Book, etc each other. They ask their pardners to follow them to certain programs. Others want to play in the best programs. Wise's program sells itself.
[/quote]

Just like a recruit who may have wanted to go to Texas but was recruited by a buddy to go to Oklahoma?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1227735" timestamp="1338511376"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=100318.msg1227730#msg1227730 date=1338509723]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=100318.msg1227726#msg1227726 date=1338509197]
[/quote]

Many thanks for acknowledging/verifying that this program is, as you say, an elite program which suggests that all high school coaches, in order to compete, ought to be AAU coaches in the off season and develop relationships with players who, at that time, do not attend the school where they are coaching.  OF course, Mr. Wise NEVER discusses attending Yates as a possibility.  He merely lets his current players sell the program on Facebook.  I never realized that, at the high school level, that this was supposed to take place.  Somebody once told me that the competition was intended to take place between schools of similar size with no outside influence.  If enough other schools pick up on these "methods" Texas High School Basketball ought to become very interesting.  I am amazed at some people who belittle "the rich" and how they take unfair advantage of everyone else and yet, at the same time, admire situations such as this one.
[/quote]I said "SO-called" elite kids." Coach Wise can't coach kids who attend Yates. Be interesting to see how many kids played on his AAU teams and transferred to Yates. The players I know at Yates did not playy for Wise's AAU team.

[/quote]
NOT ONE!! It is a PROVEN fact! One could say the same for HJ's "Little Dribblers" [s]recruiting[/s], ERRR, I mean program, if thats the case.... ::) ::)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1227758" timestamp="1338515921"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=100318.msg1227735#msg1227735 date=1338511376]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=100318.msg1227730#msg1227730 date=1338509723]
[/quote]

[/quote]
NOT ONE!! It is a PROVEN fact! One could say the same for HJ's "Little Dribblers" [s]recruiting[/s], ERRR, I mean program, if thats the case.... ::) ::)
[/quote]

Your last "proven fact" was torn down by Westend when he gave your 4 names.  Yes, there really is a lot of heavy duty recruiting of those 8 year olds in HJ Little Dribblers.  However, you still need to live in the HJ district in order to play.  But comparing 8 year olds to a high school program is certainly a valid comparison.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1227761" timestamp="1338516141"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=100318.msg1227758#msg1227758 date=1338515921]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=100318.msg1227735#msg1227735 date=1338511376]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Your last "proven fact" was torn down by Westend when he gave your 4 names.  Yes, there really is a lot of heavy duty recruiting of those 8 year olds in HJ Little Dribblers.  However, you still need to live in the HJ district in order to play.  But comparing 8 year olds to a high school program is certainly a valid comparison.
[/quote]
Dispute it all you like....NONE of Wise's AAU players has EVER played for Yates...Can you imagine the uproar, had that been the case? 8 year olds eventually become 14 and 15 year olds, you know.... ::) ::)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1227764" timestamp="1338516438"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=100318.msg1227761#msg1227761 date=1338516141]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=100318.msg1227758#msg1227758 date=1338515921]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Dispute it all you like....NONE of Wise's AAU players has EVER played for Yates...Can you imagine the uproar, had that been the case? 8 year olds eventually become 14 and 15 year olds, you know.... ::) ::)
[/quote]

Imagine that!!!! 8 year olds become 14 and 15 year olds?  I think that is true everywhere, isn't it?  In case you missed the obvious point,  the 8 year old is required to live in the HJ district in order to play.  Therefore ( try to follow this if you can) when they turn 14 or 15 and IF they become a decent player (which, incidentally, nobody knows at age 8)they can become another home grown member of the HJ basketball team.  I believe that you dont know every AAU player WIse has ever had and therefore you do NOT know whether your statement is even half valid.

[quote name="westend1" post="1227632" timestamp="1338490215"]
Clearly, they are having more move-outs than move-ins.  Except for basketball players.  Coincidence?
[/quote]Actually, a lot of kids zoned to Yates attend Lamar High, near River Oaks! But no one talks about Lamar High. :(

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1227770" timestamp="1338516950"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=100318.msg1227764#msg1227764 date=1338516438]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=100318.msg1227761#msg1227761 date=1338516141]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Imagine that!!!! 8 year olds become 14 and 15 year olds?  I think that is true everywhere, isn't it?  In case you missed the obvious point,  the 8 year old is required to live in the HJ district in order to play.  Therefore ( try to follow this if you can) when they turn 14 or 15 and IF they become a decent player (which, incidentally, nobody knows at age 8)they can become another home grown member of the HJ basketball team.  I believe that you dont know every AAU player Wise has ever had and therefore you do NOT know whether your statement is even half valid.
[/quote]
Once again...You obviously have no idea who you are talking to...Greg Wise has coached the Houston Hoops during two seperate stints...One during his early years while his sons Nic and Dondre were playing as kids until 2005, and again from 2007 to now. NONE of his players played on his team....he has coached the 16U and 17U division...I KNOW this for a fact.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1227779" timestamp="1338517713"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=100318.msg1227770#msg1227770 date=1338516950]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=100318.msg1227764#msg1227764 date=1338516438]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Imagine that!!!! 8 year olds become 14 and 15 year olds?  I think that is true everywhere, isn't it?  In case you missed the obvious point,  the 8 year old is required to live in the HJ district in order to play.  Therefore ( try to follow this if you can) when they turn 14 or 15 and IF they become a decent player (which, incidentally, nobody knows at age 8)they can become another home grown member of the HJ basketball team.  I believe that you dont know every AAU player Wise has ever had and therefore you do NOT know whether your statement is even half valid.
[/quote]

Sure- I have no idea who I am talking to- I am talking to the same guy who touted the virtue of Yates having so many "homegrown" players- right before Westend provided you with the names of 4 who came from other schools
Once again...You obviously have no idea who you are talking to...Greg Wise has coached the Houston Hoops during two seperate stints...One during his early years while his sons Nic and Dondre were playing as kids until 2005, and again from 2007 to now. NONE of his players played on his team....he has coached the 16U and 17U division...I KNOW this for a fact.
[/quote]

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1227775" timestamp="1338517241"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=100318.msg1227632#msg1227632 date=1338490215]
Clearly, they are having more move-outs than move-ins.  Except for basketball players.  Coincidence?
[/quote]Actually, a lot of kids zoned to Yates attend Lamar High, near River Oaks! But no one talks about Lamar High. :(
[/quote]  Lamar high doesn't full court press when they are up by 90.      ;)

[quote name="westend1" post="1227829" timestamp="1338556557"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=100318.msg1227775#msg1227775 date=1338517241]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=100318.msg1227632#msg1227632 date=1338490215]
[/quote]  Lamar high doesn't full court press when they are up by 90.      ;)
[/quote]
And there is a reason for that...He feels like when its a blowout like that, the only way to get any work in at that point is to keep practicing what you do in order to perfect it....its not little league!  ;) 8)

[quote name="westend1" post="1227841" timestamp="1338557706"]
I understand his excuses.  Still, you ask why people want to see them fail. 
[/quote]
I understand...but Wise could care less about that kind of stuff...He is a good coach, and has established a really good basketball program over there...Hate it or love it...he is getting it done... 8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1227843" timestamp="1338557876"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=100318.msg1227841#msg1227841 date=1338557706]
[/quote]
I understand...but Wise could care less about that kind of stuff...He is a good coach, and has established a really good basketball program over there...Hate it or love it...he is getting it done... 8)
[/quote]  Yep

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1227850" timestamp="1338558556"]
I'm sorry, but there is never, ever a reason to press when up by 90.
[/quote]
I agree, but I know his rationale...Thats what he has always believed...HIS team and the improvement of it is the most important thing to him....I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand another coach's rationale...Thats surprising, because he is from my dad's coaching tree, and he absolutely does not believe in that sort of thing...When I played for my dad, and we were up on a team big, we (starters) might not see the floor in the 4th, and we were working on ZONE defenses!  :D

[quote name="westend1" post="1227860" timestamp="1338559631"]
If his team had worked a little more on half-court defense, maybe he would have had another ring this last year.      :o
[/quote]
This is true, but they missed 7 straight free throws down the stretch when Kimball was down and started fouling intentionally, which was NOT their M.O., and that hurt them as well.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1227843" timestamp="1338557876"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=100318.msg1227841#msg1227841 date=1338557706]
[/quote]
[/quote]

A rarity - agreeing with Dickie V, that is.  Yes, he is a GOOD coach.  Yes, he has established a really good basketball program at Yates (hardly a discussion about basketball in Region III comes up that Yates doesn't, somehow, get into the discussion).  And, yes, he is getting it done.  BUT, sometimes I don't understand his methods.  Let's take the case of continuing to press when the game is certainly out of reach; that is to say when your are ahead by 50, 60 or 90 points.  Seems to me that you have already demonstrated that your team is excellent at pressing.  And since they are THAT good I don't see them slacking off in the next game just because you went into a zone (or whatever other defense) in the last quarter with your bench in the game.  I simply do not agree with spilling the other teams' guts on the floor for the heck of it.

[quote name="lamar73!" post="1228259" timestamp="1338727293"]
Dove, if Wise took the Fannet or OF job would they compete for the district title on a regular basis?
[/quote]Probably so, I'm sure Wise would be accused of having the Durham Bus (HFISD) meeting the Houston ISD bus  @ the Trinity River transfer basin.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder