*BC Coach Tarver Headed To Fort Worth*

KFDM COOP

smalley is a good coach and the kids like him but he has been a coordinater for one year....he needs a couple of more years has a oc then try to get a 1a or small 2a job..besides as a ad the parents in bridge city would eat him up...they would make hm want to change professions...just my opinion...i still say bolton or huckaby......whatever they do they need to do it by the end of january and since bolton is the only current staff member that would have a shot let him run the off-season program ...of course we are assuming bolton would be interested....and if he is would he stay if he didnt get the job.....dont think i could if i applied and didnt get it...and my opinionis based on names that have been thrown out....there may be a sleeper that might apply that might would change my mind..it will be interesting

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard tonight that Herb Minyard sp out of Baytown could be very interested in the job. He is now the Coach at Baytown Sterling and has been for what two or three years.

Guest Orangeboy

Hey now, Don't forget the Cardinals have two other coaches that have roamed the sidelines for several years. Stevie Breau and Jacob Monceaux. These guys are loved by the community and deserve a shot at the job. They love those Cardinals. GO BIG RED!!!

Why would you hire a guy that turned down the job once and has a losing record where he is. Vidor's football team has been the most inconsistent team in the area over the last three or four years. Know way i would hire matthews. .... But no way i give it to matthews. He had his chance. If you are hiring someone that can motivate and that is it then he is the guy but if you want a motivater and someone that can win then he is definitley not the guy.

I have to disagree with you about your reasons for not considering Mathews. First of all, there are plenty of coaches who have losing records at one school but have moved on to other schools and been quite successful (i.e., Todd Dodge). Looking only at records isn't always the best way to determine who's best for a job.

Second, do you even know WHY Mathews passed up the opportunity to go to BC the first time? Without knowing all the facts, let's not be too quick to assume he passed up his "chance" without a good reason. Mathews is a man of his word who has a heart for the kids. He has his priorities right. And, yes, you are right he is a motivator. Wouldn't you want that kind of man coaching your kids? I would.

if the kids could vote it would be unanimous..tb for ad. cut and dry he knows the kids and knows how to get the most out of them, the kids would really rally around him. hes well known by the student body and would build up more than just football. i say lets keep it "in house" this time around and hire inside the program. yall are right he doesnt have head coaching experience..but sooner or later you gotta give someone a shot, its not like these other guys were born ad's. bc seems to normally go to the coach w/ the most experience...but if im not mistaken after our 0-10 season in '99 todd dodge applied here and was turned down for that reason..how did that work out for us?? TB FOR AD!!

True i dont know the reason matthews didnt come to b.c. the last time, but i assume it was becasue he felt committed to his players at vidor. which is fine but he had his chance and passed it up. but when it comes down to it if it would be between matthews and bolton then i go with bolton becasue he is a motivater and he knows the kids and i think he could win. i still dont thnk matthews can win. and i could be dead wrong but that is my opinion..or course i am with orangboy..i would hire jacob and let stevie be the defensive coordinator..those are two dedicated men with love for all bc sports....i would venture to say they have attended more non football events than even the ad has

Wow you Bridge City people kind of came down hard on my boy Smalley. Remember he's from over there now...lol. He would be the first to tell you that he's not ready for an AD job, but in my opinion he would make a great AD/HC and would work his tail off in doing so. So what if he's only 30 years old, he knows his stuff and the kids just seem to really respond to him. Now don't get me wrong, I hope it doesn't happen cause I'm a little selfish. We've become good friends and I want him to stay in that Orange and White for a long, long time, but if he had that opportunity to be a head coach in his home town and it happen...I would be the first one to shake his hand. He's a class act, super coach and I'm proud to call him my friend and a BOBCAT!!!

I agree that if you stay in house, Bolton is the guy. Bolton has football in his blood. His brother was the AD in BC in the 80's. The impressive thing about Bolton is that he does support the other sports in BC. He is actually coaching 7th Grade Basketball. Middle School atheletics is an area that needs to be addressed. Since Thacker's retirement the Middle School Program has definately changed. Bolton working with this age group shows that he is dedicated to the future of Bridge City Athletics.

Sounds like there are some really qualified guys who could fill the spot in BC. No matter who they choose, it appears it'll be a good fit. I still think Mathews is the guy. He is also from BC - raised there and graduated from BC. As far as being able to win, I have heard other reputable coaches sing Mathews' praises about the job he's done in Vidor with little to work with. He's also the kind of guy to stick it out even when the going gets tough. He doesn't have a record of moving from school to school or of bad-mouthing other programs. In my opinion, he's a good guy all the way around. Just my two cents. But, if you really want to find out what kind of guy and coach he is, just call Hooks, Neauman, Stowers, Burnett, etc.

Bolton is the man for the job. One he is knows the kids and they respond to him well. Plus, he is a great motivator and gets full potential out of each individual. He would be a great head football coach plus would be great for the program as a whole. His attitude towards objectives to be done perfect is exactly what the AD job should require. His knowledge of the game of football would help out next year's team very well.

Was Andy Griffin a BC coach before being named AD in 1975?

Following Griffin there was Sutton, Fred Bolton, Townzen, Johnson, Conway, and currently Tarver who were all from outside the district.

I heard about Briggs this weekend. That would not be a bad option either. It will be interesting to see who gets it. Whoever they choose needs to be a BC guy, IMO.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder