Astros trade for Jennings

vp93

Same exact package they were willing to send Chicago for John Garland...but that deal fell apart.

"Houston acquired Jennings and pitcher Miguel Asencio from the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday for outfielder Willy Taveras and pitchers Taylor Buchholz and Jason Hirsh -- who all would have been sent to the White Sox."

Jennings was 9-13 last season with an ERA over 7...but played on a bad team in a ridiculous stadium. Most scouts have him rated as a solid #2 or 3 starter.

Guest JoesBros

1. Oswalt

2. Jennings

3. Williams

4. Wandy Rodriguez

would be my guess Oswalt #1 for sure though. Listen to the radio show tomorrow night and ill give my opinion on it. Plus stay tuned to my Astros Blogs Im going to start doing here in the MLB forum

JoesBros, do you think Oswalt can be consistent enough to be the #1? Don't get me wrong, I like O and I think he's really good but he doesn't have alot of hang time in the game either.

Oh, and are you gonna blog about my Hottie Scottie? :lol:

What are you smoking diva? Oswalt is one the most consistent starters in the majors and is in the top 5 in innings pitched and cy young voting the last 3 years. He's always pitched deeper into games than hometown heroes Clemens and Pettitte. He has been underappreciated for years in his hometown. If it werent for him, we dont win our first playoff series against the braves 3 years ago and we dont go to the World Series last year. Of the 30 major league teams, AT LEAST 25 of them Oswalt would be their #1 starter. Its a very short list of people you can argue i'd rather have on my team than Oswalt, i can name Santana, maybe Halladay, maybe Carpenter but thats about it. You want proof, heres some...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2645175

LOL...don't smoke...that's stuff's bad for you. :lol:

Never said I didn't like O, just questioning if he's the one for the #1 position or not. I agree that he's a great pitcher.

I just dont like this trade. Jennings has had one year with an era under 4 and yes I know colorado is a hard place to pitch but how can you give up Willy T when your offense is as dismal as Houstons.

This is a guy who gets on base just as good as anyone in the league and that is one of the best ways to put runs on the board.

Just like the last few years, the astros pitching may be great but losing 3-1 is still a loss.

Guest JoesBros

Yes Diva Roy O is the #1 guy and has been for several years now. He now has 75 million reason to be the #1 starter the rest of his carrer in Houston. Dont worry I didnt blog about your "hotttie Luke Scottie" but plenty of blogs to come in the future ;)

I just dont like this trade. Jennings has had one year with an era under 4 and yes I know colorado is a hard place to pitch but how can you give up Willy T when your offense is as dismal as Houstons.

This is a guy who gets on base just as good as anyone in the league and that is one of the best ways to put runs on the board.

Just like the last few years' date=' the astros pitching may be great but losing 3-1 is still a loss.[/quote']

Taveras was an improving player but right now he is not an everyday lead off man. I think he has a big upside but he was expendable. He hit 278 last year with an OBP 333, those numbers are not what a contending team should have leading off. Basically the Astros have two light hitting spots (SS & C) and cannot afford to have the same in CF.

After all of this the stros still have no credible leadoff man. They are a team that is stuck in the middle between rebuilding and contending. If they are going to make a run they will have to do it with 2nd and 3rd year players and unproven talent. lee and berkman are solid but tell me someone else who is proven. Dont let your hometown heart strings get in the way. Cause luke is good but still not proven. ensberg does nothing but make you mad.

Cause luke is good but still not proven.

Luke doesn't have to prove himself to ME....he's so hot it really doesn't matter! :lol::lol: He can just stand there and be eye candy for all I care. :D

To me, this was stupid. The Stro's need to stick with people for awhile. I understood Petite going to the yankees and Roger not coming back. But trading Buckholz and Tavarez for an average pitcher is kinda strange. Willy was a good fielder and a pretty good hitter. and Buckholz was a pretty good rook.( he had a bad record but that was cause of his closers). The astros did have some problems but i dont think this solved anything.

Am I crazy??

I have mixed feelings about this trade. The wild card to me is the additional pitcher Houston got from Colorado. Is he as good as Hirsch? If so, I can live with it. Taveras is a mixed bag. So much speed on the bases and in CF, but he hasn't done enough as a top of the order hitter.

I am a bit miffed about letting Andy Pettitte go. It sounds like the Astros only had to meet Andy at $14 million instead of the $16 million the Yankees signed him for and he would have stayed here. There has to be more to this story than what we've been told. Talk in Houston was that Bud Selig came down on Drayton McLane about signing Carlos Lee to such a big contract and that may have contributed to Drayton staying put at $12 million for Pettitte. Still, we should have signed him. It's not likely Clemens would have come back for another year even if Andy stayed home, but that has a lot to do with why they chased Garland and eventually locked up Jennings. They were preparing for life without Roger, but losing Pettitte stings.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder