La Vega's chances at state title

Don't know much about the other teams.  Did see where Estacado beat Miller earlier in the year by about 20.  As far as slowing it down against LaVega,  I think that might play right into their hands.  I have seen three of their games and heard plenty about the fourth and they trailed or were in a seesaw game in all of them and won in the end.  I know one little team ran them to death in the first half and heard that they were huffing and puffing.  Keep it up for four and you beat them.  If they do win,  there will be lots of broken hearts in this area, especially if they win two not so close games.

When they played HJ they ran a defense that I had never seen before. I described it to my friend who is a basketball coach, she said it is called a triangle and 2. There were three people in the lane in a triangle formation and one person was playing man to man on Zjori, another guy was playing man to man on Shawn. She said that it is a "junk defense" that you run when you feel there are 2 people on the team that you can't stop from scoring in a traditional man to man offense. It was effective.

I think LaVega doesn't look near as impressive as HJ or Silsbee because of the way they play the game.  It is very disciplined and not flashy.  However, they play smart and GREAT defense.  I give them a good chance to win state.  It is not pretty but they know how to win.

I dont know how strong Argyle or Estacado are. I dont feel Millerif as strong as the others. Clearly if LaVega goes in and wins easily both of our local teams should have had a great shot. Even if they come up on the losing end by a narrow margin, the same case could be true. My question is if LaVega loses, how do you feel the Tigers chances would have been based on their defense. We know hj had the size to match up with all the teams there, but the Tigers didn't.  We had the defense and speed that gave teams fits. If LaVega comes up short would that have been the enough to let the Tigers make up that difference?

This tournament will be wide open.  No 3a or below team has come within 10 of Estacado all season. Argyle and Estacado have played a relentless schedule.  Should be some fun matchups.  5 players from Estacado were on the state champion team.  3 of them have started since they were sophs and one has been there for the last 3 trips to Austin.

You just have to make sure you don't fall too far behind Argyle. They play at a very slow pace, and they are good defensively, so once you're behind it's hard to stay patient and not try to speed up the game by rushing shots. That said I think either Estacado or La Vega will win it all.

[quote name="docrivers" post="1193168" timestamp="1331051729"]
This tournament will be wide open.  No 3a or below team has come within 10 of Estacado all season. Argyle and Estacado have played a relentless schedule.  Should be some fun matchups.  5 players from Estacado were on the state champion team.  3 of them have started since they were sophs and one has been there for the last 3 trips to Austin.
[/quote]

Sounds like it should be a good tourney. Has any 3a besides Silsbee and hj been within 10 of LaVega?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder