WEST ORANGE-STARK VS. SILSBEE BROADCAST/WOS WINS 24-13!!!!!

WOSgrad

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1098464" timestamp="1319861107"]
WOS Chain Gang Defense stepped up in the 2nd half, virtually shutting down the Tigers. The 3rd quarter was purely dominant by the Mustang defense. Silsbee only had 6 offensive plays in that quarter, gaining a minus 2 yards. Silsbee had a -16 yards rushing in the second half after gaining 100 yards in the first half. Silsbee did throw for 200 yards for the game, ending with a total of 284 yards of offense.

WOS's offense finally decided to go to the run game after their first two offensive possessions were 3 and outs, and it paid off dearly. Mustangs rushed for over 250 yards, exploiting the Tiger's defense in the middle, with Lindsey and Salter having very good games on the ground. Salter did pass for 95 yards and a TD. Silsbee's defense just wore down in the second half.

Silsbee's offense relied on the big play tonight and had it not been for 4 big plays, the Tiger offense would have been shut out. Just too much speed on that Mustang D.

It should also be noted that penalties killed the Mustangs tonight. Had it not been for some very untimely penalties on WOS, the Mustangs probably win this game by 3-4 TD's.

Congrats WOS on a very good game and win. You were clearly the better team. Congrats on your district championship.

Silsbee, keep your head up. Got one game left and a win over Hamshire-Fannett will send you guys to the playoffs once again.
[/quote]

You won back some respect with that post.  Nicely stated. 

[quote name="stigers12" post="1098641" timestamp="1319866906"]
I don't know what refs you saw, but I know they missed some pretty big calls that should have gone for silsbee. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the ones your talking about but I saw pass interferences called correctly and the right call on the field goal block. You won so why worry about the refs? WOS has a good team, they just lack discipline.
[/quote]
Are you serious?  Silsbee was given a bad call on an intentional grounding (the QB was way outside the pocket).  Other than that, the refs gave several bad calls to WO-S.  The one that was most ridiculous was the tackle out of bounds by a Silsbee player.  The player tackled was slammed near the edge of the track.  The ref told our HC that it was the job of the sideline judge to make that call, and he didn't see it, all the while the ref explaining this DID see it and didn't call it!  Incompetence at it's finest. 

The blocked FG attempt was CAUGHT by WO-S in the end zone.  The first ref to rule on it got it right...he signaled a TD.  The pass interference was made on a player who had his face toward the passer the whole time and never ran into the receiver.  It was a solid defensive play, and the ref blew it. 

[quote name="griff" post="1098823" timestamp="1319898719"]
[quote author=stigers12 link=topic=90557.msg1098641#msg1098641 date=1319866906]
I don't know what refs you saw, but I know they missed some pretty big calls that should have gone for silsbee. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the ones your talking about but I saw pass interferences called correctly and the right call on the field goal block. You won so why worry about the refs? WOS has a good team, they just lack discipline.
[/quote]
Are you serious?  Silsbee was given a bad call on an intentional grounding (the QB was way outside the pocket).  Other than that, the refs gave several bad calls to WO-S.  The one that was most ridiculous was the tackle out of bounds by a Silsbee player.  I player tackled was slammed near the edge of the track.  The ref told our HC that it was the job of the sideline judge to make that call, and he didn't see it, all the while the ref explaining this DID see it and didn't call it!  Incompetence at it's finest. 

[b]The blocked FG attempt was CAUGHT by WO-S in the end zone.  The first ref to rule on it got it right...he signaled a TD. [/b] The pass interference was made on a player who had his face toward the passer the whole time and never ran into the receiver.  It was a solid defensive play, and the ref blew it.
[/quote]

The rule on blocked FG's is that it is a dead ball if the blocked field goal advances past the line of scrimmage up until the defending team touches the ball first(after the initial block), then it is considered a live ball and the kicking team can recover and advance the ball. In the case last night, the kick was blocked, the ball advanced past the line of scrimmage, and was caught in the air by a WOS player before a Silsbee player touched the ball. The ball is considered dead. The refs got that one right. Silsbee's ball on the 20.

Example: remember the Leon Lett Thanksgiving snow game against Miami. ;)

can someone please clear the air on the FG that was blocked by silsbee what is the ruleing on that did the young man from silsbee come down with the ball in the end zone and was takening away from him by one of the kids from wo-s is that how it was i could not see it

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1098833" timestamp="1319899337"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=90557.msg1098823#msg1098823 date=1319898719]
[/quote]
Are you serious?  Silsbee was given a bad call on an intentional grounding (the QB was way outside the pocket).  Other than that, the refs gave several bad calls to WO-S.  The one that was most ridiculous was the tackle out of bounds by a Silsbee player.  I player tackled was slammed near the edge of the track.  The ref told our HC that it was the job of the sideline judge to make that call, and he didn't see it, all the while the ref explaining this DID see it and didn't call it!  Incompetence at it's finest. 

[b]The blocked FG attempt was CAUGHT by WO-S in the end zone.  The first ref to rule on it got it right...he signaled a TD. [/b] The pass interference was made on a player who had his face toward the passer the whole time and never ran into the receiver.  It was a solid defensive play, and the ref blew it.
[/quote]

The rule on blocked FG's is that it is a dead ball if the blocked field goal advances past the line of scrimmage up until the defending team touches the ball first(after the initial block), then it is considered a live ball and the kicking team can recover and advance the ball. In the case last night, the kick was blocked, the ball advanced past the line of scrimmage, and was caught in the air by a WOS player before a Silsbee player touched the ball. The ball is considered dead. The refs got that one right. Silsbee's ball on the 20.

[/quote]
I'm familiar with that rule.  The ball touched two or three people (including a Silsbee player) after the initial block, therefore, it was a free ball.  Should have been a TD for WO-S. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]Example: remember the Leon Lett Thanksgiving snow game against Miami. ;)
[/quote][/b]

That is the example that I was thinking of

[/quote]
Are you serious?  Silsbee was given a bad call on an intentional grounding (the QB was way outside the pocket).  Other than that, the refs gave several bad calls to WO-S.  The one that was most ridiculous was the tackle out of bounds by a Silsbee player.  I player tackled was slammed near the edge of the track.
The ref told our HC that it was the job of the sideline judge to make that call, and he didn't see it, all the while the ref explaining this DID see it and didn't call it!  Incompetence at it's finest. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who can forget that play AAW?

I have to agree, the officiating was horrible. Mostly going against Wo-s. You usually see that type of officiating when playing in Nederland,but I never remember it being that bad. I was critical of the QB play this season,but I have to say, I was really impressed with how Salter played last night. After the interception, he regained his poise and he managed the game well the rest of the game. That's what we need from him. Just to manage the game, not try and win it on his own. Cut down on the turnovers and if there is nothing there, throw the ball away. . We still have too many penalties. We can't go into the playoffs doing that.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1098881" timestamp="1319902011"]
I have to agree, the officiating was horrible. Mostly going against Wo-s. You usually see that type of officiating when playing in Nederland,but I never remember it being that bad. I was critical of the QB play this season,[b]but I have to say, I was really impressed with how Salter played last night. After the interception, he regained his poise and he managed the game well the rest of the game[/b]. That's what we need from him. Just to manage the game, not try and win it on his own. Cut down on the turnovers and if there is nothing there, throw the ball away. . We still have too many penalties. We can't go into the playoffs doing that.
[/quote]

I agree.  Salter had a great game passing and he ran really well too.  For the most part, he took what the defense gave him.

The officials were awful, but we won, so I can't complain. I think the ball was initially caught by Silsbee and taken away by WO-S, but the "blown call" wasn't what made the refs look stupid. It was the 10-minute discussion (in two parts) that they had about it, which pretty much showed that none of them was too clear on the rule. They waved off four flags. [i]Four[/i]. The ref even let the WO-S crowd goad him into one intentional grounding call against Silsbee, which he rightfully waved off. Still. You're a professional.

this kid is starting to take contol at a good time we need him to play smart football this will put more presser on the others teams D. jimmy is starting to have faith in his running and that is something we have not relly seen in him this year but watch out he is starting to belive in himself and this is good for himself and his mustang team

I can certainly agree with AAW concerning the blocked FG,but outside of that call it was the worst officiating I have ever seen! stigers I dont know what else you could ask for! waving flags off, not my call,etc. That was horrible. Good luck to the tigers the rest of the way. :-\

[quote name="studd88" post="1098928" timestamp="1319905298"]
I can certainly agree with AAW concerning the blocked FG,but outside of that call it was the worst officiating I have ever seen! stigers I dont know what else you could ask for! waving flags off, not my call,etc. That was horrible. Good luck to the tigers the rest of the way. :-\
[/quote]

Nope, they missed the blocked FG, as well.  The ball was blocked by Silsbee, bounced around some players in the end zone, was grabbed by a Silsbee player (which by rule now makes this anyone's ball for the taking...plus the Silsbee player did not have possession), then a WO-S player took it away and gained the final possession.  The call should have been a TD.  The ref closest to the play signaled a TD, but then the conference changed the call.  They looked clueless about what to do.  Also, keep in mind that the play happened nearer to the WO-S sidelines, so we had a better angle than the Silsbee fans.  Bottom line...they blew the call and did an overall terrible job calling the game.  You're always going to have questionable calls in ANY high school game, but when it's as bad as last night, it's worth the topic of discussion.  The fact that we won the game doesn't excuse the bad officiating. 

I was at the fence directly by the play. It was a touchdown. Plain and simple. Also, I thought once a call is made, and our pat team is about to kick, you can't reverse a call. It's not like they have a booth review. They blew it, and many, many others. Both teams got the short end of the stick in this game. I have no idea why these guys are alowed to call anything higher than a POP warner game. I saw the ref literally throw a flag atleast 45 seconds after a play only to waive it off 2 minutes later. Seriously. There was flagrant holding on both teams that weren't called and don't get me started on the pass interference call on WOS.

The question to me on that call would be who touched the ball first, if it was WOS....it was a dead ball no matter if a Tiger touched or not. As far as the other calls, I know some were missed, the passinterference could have gone either way.  The tackle on the sideline was definitely questionable but wasnt as far out of bounds as you would think from the WOS side.  I know every tackle on the visitors sideline always looks out of  bounds to me from the home side.  Congratulations to the Mustangs, they beat us soundly,  a result of completely controlling both the offensive and defensive lings of scrimmage.

[quote name="stigers12" post="1100668" timestamp="1320079380"]
the late hit was the only one i think was missed. WOS looked pretty good on offense too. having lindsey healthy was huge hes a great player. Our defense is one of the best ive seen and they tore us apart.
[/quote]

The refs were pretty bad for both sides.Silsbee went toe to toe the first half.It wasn't until late in the 4th that they had any positive yardage the second half.I had said early I would rather Salter not run the ball but he did a good job when he did Friday.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1100748" timestamp="1320083231"]
Salter does a pretty good job of running when it's designed for him to run. He doesn't do as well improvising, like when the play is a pass and he needs to tuck it and run. Looks like he struggles making that decision.
[/quote]

I think your right Gas when I look back .Been a few times he could have made some yardage and first downs but he looked real undecided in his running.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83