Justin Thomas of WOS ruled ineligible

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="coach pops" post="1046267" timestamp="1314912991"]
I've read the arguments from all sides. I've dealt with hundreds of kids over lots of years. I don't remember any not knowing how old they were but I suppose this is in the realm of possibility. I will say that I have seen birth records altered by players or parents and possibly program officials. I'm certainly not saying any of these things happened in this case or in this area. The thing that has always perplexed me is being dishonest to achieve an edge over the competition, whether it is an opponent or your own teammates, and winning as a result of that action, is something that couldn't be so satisfying as to justify that action. Pride in accomplishment comes from within and knowing you have excelled in your endeavors. All successful sports programs have their fans and detractors. Nothing is so satisfying as winning the right way. Knowledge, diligence, teamwork and labor are what winning is all about. I suggest putting this incident behind and if intentional wrongdoing was involved, then I feel ashamed for those or the one responsible. Best of luck to all our athletes in the coming season and pray we don't have the heartache of last year with WO-S #12. When the dust has cleared and champions declared never question whether you earned it. If you didn't then it wasn't worth the effort.
[/quote]

excellant post!  this only applies to good honest people though.  Unfortuantly people that are that dishonest dont feel guilt or the need to answer to their actions.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1046282" timestamp="1314913735"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=87395.msg1046275#msg1046275 date=1314913329]
You throw Obama or Palin into this thread and it might break a record.
[/quote]

Got a long ways to go to reach any thread record. ;) ::)

But we are working on it. Thanks for the help. ;D
[/quote]

yep need 735 just to break into the top ten! 

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="mfd814" post="1046300" timestamp="1314915358"]
IMO this thread should be locked,  12 pages is enough talk of this young man, I think everyone that needs to know, knows he is not playing this year.  Just let it go.
[/quote]

Part of the problem is that WO-S is probably THE highest profile team on this board, and simularly in the media in general, so, news (whatever it is) makes big headlines and discussions. Just part of the deal. Thats how it works. A low profile school/team would not be so scrutinized. 

[quote name="the sports guy" post="1046272" timestamp="1314913128"]
I agree....this will not be brought up after the loss to BC.
[/quote]

LOL.... BC? I hope they become a great playoff team, but trust me, WOS will leave hoof prints all over those white helmets.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1046376" timestamp="1314922735"]
[quote author=mfd814 link=topic=87395.msg1046300#msg1046300 date=1314915358]
IMO this thread should be locked,  12 pages is enough talk of this young man, I think everyone that needs to know, knows he is not playing this year.  Just let it go.
[/quote]

Part of the problem is that WO-S is probably THE highest profile team on this board, and simularly in the media in general, so, news (whatever it is) makes big headlines and discussions. Just part of the deal. Thats how it works. A low profile school/team would not be so scrutinized.
[/quote]

ECBucfan nailed it....if it were MOST other schools in the area, the coach would be lauded for "doing the right thing" above winning by telling perhaps the best player on the team he will not play instead of sweeping it under the rug.  However, many are calling for a Salem Witch Trial and digging for something that is not there.  Who was wrong in this matter?  Not the school and aside from that...I do not know!!  All that I do know is that WOS  and their players are not wronged by perhaps later having to forfeit games and their opponents are not wronged by a ineligble player perhaps deciding the outcome of a game and it never going discovered. 

As for who falsefied the documents....I am sure that will not be laid to rest because the school could have paid dearly.  However, the school did what it had to do by making sure the playing field for its opponents was fair, as well as making sure their own players efforts were not in vain. 

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="#1stangfan" post="1046484" timestamp="1314932653"]
ECBucfan nailed it....if it were MOST other schools in the area, the coach would be lauded for "doing the right thing" above winning by telling perhaps the best player on the team he will not play instead of sweeping it under the rug. 
[/quote]

It would depend on the REPUTATION of the other school/team/coach. Where controversy has existed, scrutiny is to be expected. Where its rare or non existant, then maybe not so much. Again, the higher the profile, the higher level scrutinity should be expected. Think NCAA - Ohio St. or Auburn, for examples. They WILL make the news.     

Guest gsemike
Example - Tiger Woods (now an extremely contreversial public icon)

Would not have been a big deal if .....oh lets say Lee Janzen would have been in the same situation.

Not sure how this correlates, but I am sure somebody will get the point.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1046402" timestamp="1314926237"]
[quote author=mfd814 link=topic=87395.msg1046300#msg1046300 date=1314915358]
[/quote]

Amen!!
[/quote]I second. Lock it!

Bottom line-----------SOMEONE apparently tried to scam the system. If that happened then that someone is a cheater. It looks like WOS staff was not involved.
SO why does it matter? I find it very troubling for someone to try to have a full grown 20 year old MAN lined up and handing out hits to a 15 year old BOY. That is why it is important to me.

[quote name="td" post="1046570" timestamp="1314965805"]
[quote author=attackpack link=topic=87395.msg1046564#msg1046564 date=1314965084]
so if this wasn't caught and this 20 yr old kid was healthy, would he be playing football tonite?
[/quote]

We will never know because it was caught.
[/quote]and if it wasn't caught?

[quote name="attackpack" post="1046574" timestamp="1314966963"]
[quote author=td link=topic=87395.msg1046570#msg1046570 date=1314965805]
[quote author=attackpack link=topic=87395.msg1046564#msg1046564 date=1314965084]
so if this wasn't caught and this 20 yr old kid was healthy, would he be playing football tonite?
[/quote]

We will never know because it was caught.
[/quote]and if it wasn't caught?
[/quote]

First of all, he still doesn't turn 20 for a couple of weeks so if it wasn't caught, no a 20 year old wouldn't be lining up tonight.

Second, your question makes no sense.  It was caught.  That's like saying if I wasn't born would I not exist.  But I was born.  But no really, what if your weren't.

just something to think about...from Bmt. Enterprise..."Thompson said he is fortunate that Thomas' age discrepancy was caught before he played in a game this season. Thompson was a part of the staff in the early '90s when the team had to forfeit games and ended up missing the playoffs because failing grades were changed."...so anything could have happened...and did not play in Nederland game because of an injury?

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/West-Orange-Stark-s-Justin-Thomas-won-t-play-2146773.php#ixzz1WnyPUuD5st

[quote name="stardt" post="1046655" timestamp="1314972923"]
just something to think about...from Bmt. Enterprise..."Thompson said he is fortunate that Thomas' age discrepancy was caught before he played in a game this season. Thompson was a part of the staff in the early '90s when the team had to forfeit games and ended up missing the playoffs because failing grades were changed."...[b]so anything could have happened...and did not play in Nederland game because of an injury?[/b]Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/West-Orange-Stark-s-Justin-Thomas-won-t-play-2146773.php#ixzz1WnyPUuD5st
[/quote]

I don't really follow your question but I think you are maybe suggesting that WOS was fortunate that JT was injured and did not play in the Nederland game??  I think this was caught before the media got ahold of it because JT was not even on the sidelines during the Nederland game.