Joe Sigler named as next Silsbee Head Basketball Coach

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1033348" timestamp="1313004512"]
The only one I recall was the last team that went to state due to the size they had. 09/10 team. all the others I caught at least one game and I can yell you Aggie from my experience of watching every Silsbee basketball game home and away from 94-98. They couldn't. How many Allstate Players did Slsbee have in that time frame. 6? Bush, Henry, Holden, Arline, Miller, and Whitmore? At one time 3-4 of these guys were on the same team. These cats had size and speed. At one point on the 96/97 team they had 5 guys averaging double figures in Holden, Arline, T Arline, Cartwright, and Henry. 5 guys coming off the branch that all they wanted to do was play defense.
[/quote]So does that mean Silsbee is headed back to the 90's all that talent nothing to show or does it mean that they can compete for 3a state championships as long as they have 4a all state talent. Either way just not sure the talent level will be the issue.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will have to wait until November to find out. I honestly think that Silsbee will be fine. Is Joe the only Silsbee coach not to ever take a team to state? Did another Silsbee coach win one that I'm not aware of? It could have been worst! They could have let SteveNash and myself coach. Lol

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1033350" timestamp="1313004870"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=86439.msg1033349#msg1033349 date=1313004551]
[quote author=ST413 link=topic=86439.msg1033338#msg1033338 date=1313003699]
Yes the Tigers were good back then but to say they would have win  even one state title in 3A is  asinine.  The best team we had during  those years lost in the first round to a team that wouldn't have even sniffed Austinin3A!
[/quote]

Thank god you said that!
[/quote]

You have played and coached against both. What are your thoughts?
[/quote]

I played against them but did not coach.  My brother coached against them however I did play against the 1997-98 team and have seen the recent teams in the last 5 years and I would say they are VERY comparable.  The tiger team in 2010 was probably a little deeper.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1033358" timestamp="1313005382"]
We will have to wait until November to find out. I honestly think that Silsbee will be fine. Is Joe the only Silsbee coach not to ever take a team to state? Did another Silsbee coach win one that I'm not aware of? It could have been worst! They could have let SteveNash and myself coach. Lol
[/quote]

I very much resent that remark.  I can easily name three games that year that I could have won as head coach.

Thats just my opinion. Aggie, IMO I think the BEST Silsbee team when you talk about the starting 5 was the 1994/95 team. All of this is opinion based comments on both sides. You have seen more ball than me in the last 11 years. When I look at the end of season results, the only teams that could compare would be the 09/10 team and maybe the 06/07 team that lost to HJ in the Reginoal. Those 90's teams use to be bigger, stronger, and played with a fearless swag.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1033393" timestamp="1313009408"]
Thats just my opinion. Aggie, IMO I think the BEST Silsbee team when you talk about the starting 5 was the 1994/95 team. All of this is opinion based comments on both sides. [b]You have seen more ball than me in the last 11 years.[/b] When I look at the end of season results, the only teams that could compare would be the 09/10 team and maybe the 06/07 team that lost to HJ in the Reginoal. Those 90's teams use to be bigger, stronger, and played with a fearless swag.
[/quote]

And I have seen more ball than you in the '80's and '90's as well. That's my point. I saw those Silsbee teams of the 90's, they were very good. But other than that '98 team, there are several of the 2000's teams that can compete with the rest of those '90's teams.

BTW, some would say the '79 team was as good as any team that Silsbee has put on the floor. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1033038" timestamp="1312924220"]
[quote author=beeninnikes link=topic=86439.msg1033036#msg1033036 date=1312923885]
This is a bit of a surprise for me.  Sigler left a very loaded Clarksville team.  Clarksville will be preseason top 2 or 3 in TABC and the odds on favorite to go to Austin.  They shouldve been in Austin this past year, had it not been for the huge shocker Tenaha pulled off in the regional finals.  I watched the game and was very impressed with Clarksville, who has 3A/4A athletes like the Cayuga teams of recent years.  Silsbee is a great job no doubt, I just wonder why he left such a good situation in the first place... 
[/quote]

Pretty simple, 1A job (Clarksville) to 3A job (Silsbee) means more $$$. Sigler wanting higher salary for those last few years of his employment to reflect on his retirement. I think this will not be a very long term for Sigler. I expect it to be no more than 4-5 years. Just my opinion.
[/quote]All 3a coaches do not make more money than 1A coaches.

[quote name="CATMAN" post="1033517" timestamp="1313026541"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86439.msg1033038#msg1033038 date=1312924220]
[quote author=beeninnikes link=topic=86439.msg1033036#msg1033036 date=1312923885]
This is a bit of a surprise for me.  Sigler left a very loaded Clarksville team.  Clarksville will be preseason top 2 or 3 in TABC and the odds on favorite to go to Austin.  They shouldve been in Austin this past year, had it not been for the huge shocker Tenaha pulled off in the regional finals.  I watched the game and was very impressed with Clarksville, who has 3A/4A athletes like the Cayuga teams of recent years.  Silsbee is a great job no doubt, I just wonder why he left such a good situation in the first place... 
[/quote]

Pretty simple, 1A job (Clarksville) to 3A job (Silsbee) means more $$$. Sigler wanting higher salary for those last few years of his employment to reflect on his retirement. I think this will not be a very long term for Sigler. I expect it to be no more than 4-5 years. Just my opinion.
[/quote]All 3a coaches do not make more money than 1A coaches.
[/quote]

Never said all 3A made more than all 1A. Just that this particular 3A made more than that particular 1A. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1033418" timestamp="1313014731"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=86439.msg1033393#msg1033393 date=1313009408]
Thats just my opinion. Aggie, IMO I think the BEST Silsbee team when you talk about the starting 5 was the 1994/95 team. All of this is opinion based comments on both sides. [b]You have seen more ball than me in the last 11 years.[/b] When I look at the end of season results, the only teams that could compare would be the 09/10 team and maybe the 06/07 team that lost to HJ in the Reginoal. Those 90's teams use to be bigger, stronger, and played with a fearless swag.
[/quote]

And I have seen more ball than you in the '80's and '90's as well. That's my point. I saw those Silsbee teams of the 90's, they were very good. But other than that '98 team, there are several of the 2000's teams that can compete with the rest of those '90's teams.

BTW, some would say the '79 team was as good as any team that Silsbee has put on the floor. ;)

Dont know if you saw more ball than me in the 90's. With me having two 1st cousins playing for Silsbee and a older brother playing at West Brook, I saw just about every Silsbee game played from 1989/90-97/98. I saw about 10 games from the 98/99 team and not much after that. Silsbee has had a ton of talent come thru that town. I think OVERALL, the teams from 94-98 were the best. The 96/97 team use to run the 94/95 team out the doors in practice as freshman. Sigler actually played Holden, Arline, and Hugh Davis in the 95 playoff vs Jacksonville and Lamar Consolidated.
[/quote]

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1033833" timestamp="1313088352"]
[quote author=Kountzer link=topic=86439.msg1033484#msg1033484 date=1313021940]
Wasn't Sigler the coach back in '95 when Silsbee was ranked #1 and undefeated alll season long, then lost in the first round of the playoffs?
[/quote]

Yes
[/quote]

Yes, Sigler was the coach in '95 (had been the head coach since 1986, ended in 2003). But the year you are speaking of was '98, not '95.

Silsbee was 31-0, #1 in class 4A, and was up to #14 in the USA Today national poll, then lost in the second round (Silsbee had a bye in first round) to Chapel Hill.

moot,, i believe you mean aggie -- or maybe you do mean mute.  anyway - id like to suggest that the admin could have offered the bb job to anyone they were letting go . none would or could have done it. shoulda been ira no matter what they had to do to make it happen. they just want to make sure the paper trail looks nice and tidy. its hardly ever about what is best for kids. or  --- what he has done for them over the last 20 yrs. nothing against joe, i think he'll do a great job as well and wish the tigers good luck.

Good save, AggiesAreWe....I thought that Silsbee lost in the regional finals to Port Arthur Lincoln in 1995...That was a game for the ages!! I thought surely they (Silsbee) would get to The Drum in 98'...PA Lincoln got on a roll, but lost that year in the regional final to Houston Waltrip, who eventually won the Class 4A Championship...Great basketball in SE Texas back then too!

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1040565" timestamp="1314288527"]
The team Waltrip beat in state had a great center who played pro baseball as well. SIlsbee has come up short so many times I have lost count.
[/quote]
That Waltrip state championship was later taken from them.  That team was tainted.  I saw that big point guard who played for Waltrip about a year ago.  He was from Puerto Rico, or was of that heritage.  No one else knew who he was, but I walked up to him and asked about his basketball career.

No..THAT Houston Waltrip team was not "tainted" as you put it, the Puerto Rican player in question, (Antonio Falu) was declared ineligible the FOLLOWING season...Their title in 1998 is still in the books..they had to forfeit all of the pre-season games that Falu played in during the 98-99 season, due to the Houston Chronicle report that found out he was too old to play that season...He was eligible in 97-98, although he was listed as a junior..

My bad.  You must be a Waltrip alum, lol.  Waltrip is a good school, btw.  Nice students there.  One of my co-workers had a daughter that graduated from there last year.  I see Waltrip more often than I do Silsbee High School.  That's what happens when you move to Houston I guess.

I could of sworn that title was taken way from Waltrip.  They got a lot of bad publicity in the Chronicle.  No biggie to me.  I don't have a dog in that fight.  Quite a bit of high school basketball is shady.  I don't know what the percentage is, but something is going on. 

I don't anticipate any of the schools to the immediate South of me to rise up and do anything sports wise.  I am talking about Waltrip and Scarborough.  Eisenhower is down the street.  They do okay.  Most of the students in this area go to Klein Forest.  I think they had a big victory here lately in football. 

To be honest I don't keep up with high school football that much.  Unless a player of a team starts doing amazing, atttention grabbing stuff, like Yates 2 years ago, I don't pay much attention. 

I did see Falu though.  He's bumping around town somewhere.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01