Best SouthEast Texas Team ever??

[quote name="kicker" post="1029686" timestamp="1312060457"]
[quote author=Javelina link=topic=86117.msg1029544#msg1029544 date=1311991901]
played against the 98 Newton team, they were unstopable
[/quote] ypp, I remember how good they were. They gave us a run for our money. We were their only loss for the season I believe. And some people say that we were one of the best teams WOS had since 87. We had awesome teams in 95 97 and 98. But we kept running into the LaMarque Cougars. They were a dynasty in the 90s. [b]Then in 98, we played horrible against a great sislbee team and lost first round.[/b] I believe we were number 2 in state behind LaMarque or Stephenville.
[/quote]

Hmmm..... played "horrible against a great Silsbee team". Well first of all, that "great" Silsbee team did lose 5 games that year, so I wouldn't consider them great. Second, I think Silsbee had a lot to do with how "horribly" WOS played in that particular game. Third, Silsbee didn't play all that great themselves in that game, with missing 3 field goals and fumbling inside the 10, missing out on 4 other potential scores in that 21-20 win.

Now kicker, don't let me confuse you with that "other" Mustang fan that always points out that when WOS loses, they play "horrible" and the other team plays "great". ;) ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1029704" timestamp="1312063763"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=86117.msg1029686#msg1029686 date=1312060457]
[/quote] ypp, I remember how good they were. They gave us a run for our money. We were their only loss for the season I believe. And some people say that we were one of the best teams WOS had since 87. We had awesome teams in 95 97 and 98. But we kept running into the LaMarque Cougars. They were a dynasty in the 90s. [b]Then in 98, we played horrible against a great sislbee team and lost first round.[/b] I believe we were number 2 in state behind LaMarque or Stephenville.
[/quote]

Hmmm..... played "horrible against a great Silsbee team". Well first of all, that "great" Silsbee team did lose 5 games that year, so I wouldn't consider them great. Second, I think Silsbee had a lot to do with how "horribly" WOS played in that particular game. Third, Silsbee didn't play all that great themselves in that game, with missing 3 field goals and fumbling inside the 10, missing out on 4 other potential scores in that 21-20 win.

Now kicker, don't let me confuse you with that "other" Mustang fan that always points out that when WOS loses, they play "horrible" and the other team plays "great". ;) ;D
[/quote]

LOL, no. I see what you are saying. Just goes to show that even though you can lose 5 games in regular season, you can peak at the right time and make a run. We both played sloppy that night, but anyone that was at that game will agree with me objectively.  Silsbee beat us plain and simple, but you have to admit that we didn't play anywhere near our expected potential. I think playing a playoff game in port Arthur had something to do with it. Also, silsbee won their next two I believe, so you can't say it was the same silsbee team we played earlier in the season. Seemed like a totally different team.

[quote name="kicker" post="1029743" timestamp="1312069370"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86117.msg1029704#msg1029704 date=1312063763]
[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL, no. I see what you are saying. Just goes to show that even though you can lose 5 games in regular season, you can peak at the right time and make a run. We both played sloppy that night, but anyone that was at that game will agree with me objectively.  Silsbee beat us plain and simple, but you have to admit that we didn't play anywhere near our expected potential. I think playing a playoff game in port Arthur had something to do with it. [b]Also, silsbee won their next two I believe, so you can't say it was the same silsbee team we played earlier in the season. Seemed like a totally different team.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree, Kicker. Silsbee started playing much better football as the season progressed. They were a much better team in those last 9 games than they were in those first 5. After defeating WOS in Bi-District, they then beat Carthage 48-20 in Area Round, defeated El Campo 28-7 in Quarterfinal, but then lost to La Marque in Regional Finals 20-14.

[quote name="tigersvoice" post="1029693" timestamp="1312062710"]
[quote author=speveto link=topic=86117.msg1029679#msg1029679 date=1312058906]
For me, it`s  got to be Orangefield,  1956, 6 man football team.  Bill Godwin, Ed Peveto Jerry Peveto and others.  
[/quote]

Is your 1956 correct?  I ask because I was in football camp in the fall
of 1955 at Lamar Tech with an Ed Peveto from Orangefield.  I believe he went on to become quite a high school football coach.  Surely, there
were not two Ed Peveto's from Orangefield in those two years. ???
[/quote]           You are correct.  Ed and the boys did graduate in May 1956.  That would make their senior football year, 1955. Jerry Peveto was A Junior that year and later becane a standout in college football and a World Champion Bull Wrestler.  Bill Godwin started for A&M 1957 when they were the #1 team in the nation. Now this is all off the top of my head from 56 years ago. I could be completely wrong but thats is the way I remember it. Not bad for a 6 man football team.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1029796" timestamp="1312087607"]
I agree, Kicker. Silsbee started playing much better football as the season progressed. They were a much better team in those last 9 games than they were in those first 5. After defeating WOS in Bi-District, they then beat Carthage 48-20 in Area Round, defeated El Campo 28-7 in Quarterfinal, but then lost to La Marque in Regional Finals 20-14.
[/quote]

I watched that game between Silsbee and LaMarque in the Dome.  The Tigers gave LaMarque a tough matchup.  They no doubt were playing their best football at the end of the season and were a better team than the bunch WO-S saw earlier in the year.  I still believe WO-S had a better chance at beating LaMarque than Silsbee did, but we didn't earn the chance to find out.  

[quote name="griff" post="1029861" timestamp="1312129706"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86117.msg1029796#msg1029796 date=1312087607]
[/quote]

I watched that game between Silsbee and LaMarque in the Dome.  The Tigers gave LaMarque a tough matchup.  They no doubt were playing their best football at the end of the season and were a better team than the bunch WO-S saw earlier in the year.  I still believe WO-S had a better chance at beating LaMarque than Silsbee did, but we didn't earn the chance to find out.  
[/quote]

Losing that LaMarque game was tough considering that Silsbee fumbled inside the Cougar 10 yard line twice (one of those times was at the 2 yard line) and one of those LaMarque TD's was from returning a block field goal attempt by Silsbee in the 3rd quarter.

I do not think Silsbee beats Stephenville that year (that's who beat LaMarque in the state title game) but the way Silsbee was improving and peaking as the season progressed, I would have loved to had seen that matchup.

I don't know about best ever but the 2005 Newton team was bad to the bone. They went without practice from Sept 22 to at earliest Oct. 1 due to Hurricane Rita. No-one had electricity for at least 3 weeks and here in Southeast  Texas, we had football player scattered across Texas and Louisiana. We were Being fed by the National Guard and I know there were a lot of schools in the same boat. anyway, when we started back in mid Oct. it was just like first day of football all over and after we got to the area game was like playing teams with a 5 week head start. Anyway they went 13-0 and won state. I believe their defense only allowed but 54 yards a game on the ground.

[quote name="oldollie" post="1029930" timestamp="1312142305"]
Man, those Hebert teams from the 70's, I would put them up against anybody!!
[/quote]

No argument there.  Especially the '76 team D3zii mentioned in the first post.  Those were some bad cats!

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1029948" timestamp="1312148808"]
That 98 wos team felt the curse of memorial stadium that night vs Silsbee.[b] Didn't Silsbee beat PNG in a playoff game in Port Arthur? [/b]
[/quote]

Yes they did. '92 Bi-District playoff game.

Here are the results of PNG's 1992 season: (notice their only two losses that year) ;)

PNG              vs.          PA Jefferson          29-13          1-0
                                  El Campo                9-6            2-0
                                  [b]Silsbee                  17-27[/b]          2-1
                                  Livingston              38-0            3-1
                                  New Caney              51-0            4-1
                                  * LCM                      28-10          5-1        1-0
                                * Bridge City              43-2            6-1        2-0
                                  * Nederland              54-0            7-1        3-0
                                  * PA Lincoln              31-7            8-1        4-0
                                  * WOS                    14-13          9-1        5-0
                            [b]Bi-Dist. Silsbee              17-42  [/b]        9-2

The best team(s) I ever personally saw were the 2002 (I think) Burkeville team(the last time they won state) and the 2003 West Sabine squad which made the semis (the deepest playoff run that we have ever had to this day). I know if there is any Hemphillians on here I do remember that, yes, you did beat us that year, but that was the last loss until the Celeste game. Had unbelieveable athletes who all bought in to the TEAM concept. 

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1029933" timestamp="1312143248"]
[quote author=oldollie link=topic=86117.msg1029930#msg1029930 date=1312142305]
[/quote]

No argument there.  Especially the '76 team D3zii mentioned in the first post.  Those were some bad cats!
[/quote]

I seen them play..To this day I still think that was the best team ever hands down, right above the French team :)

[quote name="D3zii" post="1030138" timestamp="1312174080"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=86117.msg1029933#msg1029933 date=1312143248]
[/quote]

No argument there.  Especially the '76 team D3zii mentioned in the first post.  Those were some bad cats!
[/quote]

I seen them play..To this day I still think that was the best team ever hands down, right above the French team :)
[/quote]

1984 French High Buffaloes - We had so many weapons. Mark Guilbeaux at QB, ran a 4.4 in the 40, Soph Willie Williams at wide out, Melvin Turner at TE, Kieth Wycoff at Wide Reciever, Paul Jones at RB, Robert Keil at FB and the #1 defense once in the playoffs. Each one of these guys scored multiple times. I still have a newspaper clipping where Kimble Anders (Galveston Ball, LSU??, and KC Chiefs) said the French defense hit harder than anyone he had played (up to that point). Also, another clipping that was an actual compliment to all of SETX ,said that we came out of probably one of the toughest districts in the state.

[quote name="kicker" post="1029698" timestamp="1312063428"]
[quote author=tigersvoice link=topic=86117.msg1029689#msg1029689 date=1312062381]
[/quote] ypp, I remember how good they were. They gave us a run for our money. We were their only loss for the season I believe. And some people say that we were one of the best teams WOS had since 87. We had awesome teams in 95 97 and 98. But we kept running into the LaMarque Cougars. They were a dynasty in the 90s. Then in 98, we played horrible against a great sislbee team and lost first round. I believe we were number 2 in state behind LaMarque or Stephenville.
[/quote]

It's just amazing how geography can distort perception.  This gentleman is obviously from WO-S territory and remembers per his statement: ". . . we played horrible against a great Silsbee team and lost in the first round."  I was one of the broadcasters at that game for the Silsbee radio station.  Silsbee, indeed, played a great game - you have to to beat WO-S.  But I don't remember that WO-S played that horribly.  But then, I'm old and don't remember much anyway. 8).                

Oh yeah, we played probably one of our worst games in years. I'm not taking away Silsbee puting it to us, but If I could get the stats, we had more turnovers in that game, than the whole season combined. I want to say we had three touchdowns called back, could hold on to the football, and the weather was horrible. Took our speed away from us. Couldn't even kickoff without falling down in the mud. Trust me, I remember well.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Didnt we also miss an important xtra point in that game as well... LMAO ;D

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1030186" timestamp="1312207045"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=86117.msg1029698#msg1029698 date=1312063428]
[quote author=tigersvoice link=topic=86117.msg1029689#msg1029689 date=1312062381]
[/quote] ypp, I remember how good they were. They gave us a run for our money. We were their only loss for the season I believe. And some people say that we were one of the best teams WOS had since 87. We had awesome teams in 95 97 and 98. But we kept running into the LaMarque Cougars. They were a dynasty in the 90s. Then in 98, we played horrible against a great sislbee team and lost first round. I believe we were number 2 in state behind LaMarque or Stephenville.
[/quote]

It's just amazing how geography can distort perception.  This gentleman is obviously from WO-S territory and remembers per his statement: ". . . we played horrible against a great Silsbee team and lost in the first round."  I was one of the broadcasters at that game for the Silsbee radio station.  Silsbee, indeed, played a great game - you have to to beat WO-S.  But I don't remember that WO-S played that horribly.  But then, I'm old and don't remember much anyway. 8).                

Oh yeah, we played probably one of our worst games in years. I'm not taking away Silsbee puting it to us, but If I could get the stats, we had more turnovers in that game, than the whole season combined. I want to say we had three touchdowns called back, could hold on to the football, and the weather was horrible. Took our speed away from us. Couldn't even kickoff without falling down in the mud. Trust me, I remember well.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Didnt we also miss an important xtra point in that game as well... LMAO ;D
[/quote]

Yep, we sure did. no excuses, but it was hard to kick a ball, just like it was hard to hold on to one that night. I wish someone had a box score for that game. i want to see the combined turnovers of both teams. We probably broke a state record for most in a game. lol. I even think Silsbee missed 3 fieldgoals?? Cant remember that well.

[quote name="GunsBaseball" post="1030174" timestamp="1312205696"]
[quote author=D3zii link=topic=86117.msg1030138#msg1030138 date=1312174080]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=86117.msg1029933#msg1029933 date=1312143248]
[/quote]

No argument there.  Especially the '76 team D3zii mentioned in the first post.  Those were some bad cats!
[/quote]

[/quote]

1984 French High Buffaloes - We had so many weapons. Mark Guilbeaux at QB, ran a 4.4 in the 40, Soph Willie Williams at wide out, Melvin Turner at TE, Kieth Wycoff at Wide Reciever, Paul Jones at RB, Robert Keil at FB and the #1 defense once in the playoffs. Each one of these guys scored multiple times. I still have a newspaper clipping where Kimble Anders (Galveston Ball, LSU??, and KC Chiefs) said the French defense hit harder than anyone he had played (up to that point). Also, another clipping that was an actual compliment to all of SETX ,said that we came out of probably one of the toughest districts in the state.
[/quote]

I know, I played DB on the 81-83 team.
Plus my cousin was Mark G..But I still think Hebert was one of the best

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder