What was the 1st HS football game you saw? (with knowledge of the game)

[quote name="NHS1990" post="1029524" timestamp="1311989961"]
[quote author=JSnipes link=topic=86110.msg1029410#msg1029410 date=1311973854]
I might have some of the facts wrong here but this is the first game I remember watching...I was 5 or 6

1988 (could have been 89) PNG vs. A&M Consolidated at the Astrodome. I believe A&M won 35-0
[/quote]

The year was definitely 1989. The score however, I don't recall it being that big of a blow out (could be wrong).
[/quote]

You are correct. I just looked it up on UIL and it was 31-13. I guess my memory isn't so good  :D

[quote name="UHCoog14" post="1029553" timestamp="1311993700"]
Did not know Coach Shaver. My cousin  Gene Isabell,  Sr.  was HC there for a few years.

I can remember watching them play Mojo in the state finals. (after he had left there unfortunately)
[/quote]

Yea I graduated in 83 the year before they won it...But he was the coach the year they won it to..
And my cousin was the QB Mark Guilbeaux

I believe it was 1961 when Port Acres came to play Newton. It was raining cats and dogs and Port Acres left with a victory. I remember sitting on and swinging on the cables (actual wire cables) that surrounded the field like a fence. My buddy (Jimmy Walker) and I played coke cup football at the end of the stands. We were muddy just like the "real" football players.

I went to games before but my first game I remember was 1988 Brazoswood at PN-G. Didn't care about the game too much (PN-G was pretty bad then) but I thought the Bucs helmets were cool! 1989 was a much more fun year.

Sidenote: us kids used to have some epic full contact cup football games by the field house when a fence seperated the field. We'd play during halftime then give high fives to the Indians when they came out. I have no clue how nobody broke any bones.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1029715" timestamp="1312065289"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=86110.msg1029702#msg1029702 date=1312063669]
Silsbee vs LaGrange 1988 playoffs in Huntsville.
[/quote]

Another inaccurate post from BADSANTA. ::)

Silsbee has never played LaGrange in the football playoffs.
[/quote]

He DID go to Silsbee, right?

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1029718" timestamp="1312066572"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86110.msg1029715#msg1029715 date=1312065289]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=86110.msg1029702#msg1029702 date=1312063669]
Silsbee vs LaGrange 1988 playoffs in Huntsville.
[/quote]

Another inaccurate post from BADSANTA. ::)

Silsbee has never played LaGrange in the football playoffs.
[/quote]

He DID go to Silsbee, right?
[/quote]

Sadly, yes.

Kirbyville has Kvilleballa

Silsbee has BADSANTA

At least WOS's dubious fan is actually a graduate of LCM. ;) ;D

Who did Silsbee play in the round before they played Toball in the Dome in 88? After Silsbee played in the dome, who did WOS play. Sorry Aggiearewe. I don't recall every Silsbee football game ever played. Who did they play? Wasn't it CE KING? Tell me if I'm wrong.

[quote name="liltex" post="1029771" timestamp="1312081646"]
I believe Silsbee beat CE King then lost to Tomball in 1988 if I remember right.But some say I'm gettin that oldtimers stuff 8)
[/quote]

That is the way I remember it, too.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1029768" timestamp="1312080718"]
Also guys its not like Silsbee has had a ton of long playoff runs. I don't think they have been past the second round no more that 3 or 4 times in the schools history. The second round has just been bad to them for years.
[/quote]

What does that have to do with the topic which was the first HS you ever saw with some sort of awareness of the game?

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1029767" timestamp="1312080573"]
Who did Silsbee play in the round before they played Toball in the Dome in 88? After Silsbee played in the dome, who did WOS play. Sorry Aggiearewe. I don't recall every Silsbee football game ever played. Who did they play? Wasn't it CE KING? Tell me if I'm wrong.
[/quote]

You said it was LaGrange. Now you are asking if it was CE King.  ::)

The topic asks what was the first HS game (with KNOWLEDGE of) that you attended.

I already told you that you were wrong about LaGrange.

Bi District  Silsbee defeated CE King
Quarterfinal Tomball defeated Silsbee

Sulphur vs LaGrange in the mid 70s...I was about 7 or 8yrs old...I caught one of the little footballs the cheerleaders throw to the crowd..but the ones I remember most was watching Anthony Byrley(sp?) in Newton in the early 80's, they got knocked out in the playoffs in a OT game.

[quote name="kcat-fan" post="1029864" timestamp="1312130514"]
Sulphur vs LaGrange in the mid 70s...I was about 7 or 8yrs old...I caught one of the little footballs the cheerleaders throw to the crowd..but the ones I remember most was watching Anthony Byrley(sp?) in Newton in the early 80's, they got knocked out in the playoffs in a OT game.
[/quote]

The Newton game was against Cameron Yoe and it was before overtime games were played. The teams were tied with the score, tied with penetrations, and Cameron Yoe advanced on having one more first down than Newton. A heart breaker if you were a Newton fan.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami