Best developmental program??

If a young basketball player, say in middle school or as a freshman, could pick any area program to participate in, which would offer him the best opportunity to develop and maximize his skills as he progresses toward the varsity level....and why??

• 1 month later...
My original thought was Nederland or Hardin Jefferson for overall program. Both have seen the importance of working with the youth to build programs. However, with the changes the AD is making in Nederland, I have to think HJ has lots to offer with a full staff that knows and understands the game of basketball.

[quote name="Team Game" post="1032478" timestamp="1312820064"]
My original thought was Nederland or Hardin Jefferson for overall program. Both have seen the importance of working with the youth to build programs. However, with the changes the AD is making in Nederland, I have to think HJ has lots to offer with a full staff that knows and understands the game of basketball.
[/quote] And as parents we should not look towards organizations to help get our kids better in fundamentals. Its the extra "outside" work thats going to benefit the kids, not sending them to a program to play and learn their fundamentals. Coaches don't have the time to teach someone how to dribble, pass and shoot by time they enter high school. By high school its usually too late.  ;)

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1023049" timestamp="1310097002"]
If a young basketball player, say in middle school or as a freshman, could pick any area program to participate in, which would offer him the best opportunity to develop and maximize his skills as he progresses toward the varsity level....and why??
[/quote]

So, you are asking which "program" (aka high school) one should send their kids to be better basketball players? WOW!!!

Isn't there a UIL rule about transferring for "athletic" reasons? Clearly you are not suggesting that you send your kid to another school just for that purpose. Will you be moving to this "other" school's district?

Sadly, I agree with Dove, if a player hasn't got the fundamentals by high school, he/she is way behind.

The three youth programs who are the most fundamentally sound in terms of player skills and team concepts are in no particular order Nederland (Central and C.O. Wilson) Hardin Jefferson or Henderson and St. Anne. I've seen alot of teams play and these are the teams that routinely have a system that their players execute.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1032494" timestamp="1312821896"]
[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=85538.msg1023049#msg1023049 date=1310097002]
[/quote]

So, you are asking which "program" (aka high school) one should send their kids to be better basketball players? WOW!!!

Isn't there a UIL rule about transferring for "athletic" reasons? Clearly you are not suggesting that you send your kid to another school just for that purpose. Will you be moving to this "other" school's district?

Sadly, I agree with Dove, if a player hasn't got the fundamentals by high school, he/she is way behind.
[/quote]Its getting boring in here. I gotta find something to disagree with this guy :D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1032494" timestamp="1312821896"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

::)

[quote name="sleepy" post="1032536" timestamp="1312827689"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=85538.msg1032494#msg1032494 date=1312821896]
[/quote]

[/quote]

::)
[/quote] ???

[quote name="stevenash" post="1032571" timestamp="1312830361"]
Don't despair, Dove is you are finding things to be less confrontational than you wanted.  Just start a thread saying you are moving your kids for athletic purposes.  That ought to stir it up a little.
[/quote]
Nash you know he is moving his kids to Ozen because BISD schools are Academically Excellent, I mean Recognized, I mean Acceptable. And not to mention the extremely low crime rate in the Ozen attendance zone!!

[quote name="hj15" post="1032643" timestamp="1312838582"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=85538.msg1032571#msg1032571 date=1312830361]
Don't despair, Dove is you are finding things to be less confrontational than you wanted.  Just start a thread saying you are moving your kids for athletic purposes.  That ought to stir it up a little.
[/quote]
Nash you know he is moving his kids to Ozen because BISD schools are Academically Excellent, I mean Recognized, I mean Acceptable. And not to mention the extremely low crime rate in the Ozen attendance zone!!
[/quote]

And dont forget the fact that the electrical work in the schools is top notch

[quote name="hj15" post="1032643" timestamp="1312838582"]
[/quote]
[/quote]And Ozen would blow H-J's basketball team out of the water.  Don't forget to add that one.  Do you think those kids actually wanted to go to H-J over Ozen for basketball?

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1032863" timestamp="1312902010"]
[quote author=hj15 link=topic=85538.msg1032643#msg1032643 date=1312838582]
[/quote]
[/quote]And Ozen would blow H-J's basketball team out of the water.  Don't forget to add that one.  Do you think those kids actually wanted to go to H-J over Ozen for basketball?
[/quote]

Who said anything about those kids going to Hardin-Jefferson?

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1032863" timestamp="1312902010"]
[quote author=hj15 link=topic=85538.msg1032643#msg1032643 date=1312838582]
[/quote]
[/quote]

No reason for anyone to want to go to HJ for basketball.  Program has terrible history.  Coaches are incompetent and they dont get much out of the talent that they have.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124