My daughter said the words tonight...

"Dad, I'm ready to do something else."  It's like death or divorce- something that happens to other people but is never supposed to happen to you...

I give her credit for being deliberate.  She made the decision, played in two more tournaments to be sure, then waited another four days after that to be double sure before telling us.  She started 12 years ago so she has spent 3/4 of her life involved with softball.  I guess she deserves time to try something else, as if there is something else.  ;)

Good news is I seem to have survived so far.  I gave her a hug and thanked her for all the memories then went outside for a bit.  Something flew into my eye or the pollen has hit early, not sure which.  All I could think about was driving those countless miles across state after state, lugging ice chests, sun screen and bat bags- and I wouldn't have traded it for the world.  I might eventually forget about all the trophies she collected, the batting averages and the excitement of seeing those college coaches watching her for the first time.  I will NEVER forget the smell of those God awful stinky cleats or falling asleep by the hotel washing maching trying to get those stupid freaking white uniforms clean. 

Hey, if I'm lucky, sometime in the not-so-soon future there might be a granddaugther that lives nearby.  Oh, how smart will I be the second time around?!  ;D

Well said and know you that are not alone.  I had almost the exact situation (and the same emotional response).  Although mine was switching to another sport, the 100's of hours I spent with her in softball were NOT wasted.  Its a bond I, and you, will always have with our DD's.  At the end of the day, they should be HAPPY and not just trying to please us or others.  Good luck to you and her...time for a new adventure!

Yeah MBB2, I am like HillGuy.
However, my daughter switched from another sport, to softball.
She participated in AAU Track and Field and qualified every year for the National Junior Olympics.
Around her 7th grade year, she says she wants to play softball, after winning all of these medals in track and field and still has a record in Middle School.

I don't know how I would handle it if she were to tell me that she was ready to hang up the cleats.
Well, she had better at least wait until she finishes college since she has a full scholarship.
Otherwise, there would definitely be a lot of dust and pollen in my eyes.

MBB2, I only have one word for just the few memories that you listed - PRICELESS!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed