A Ball

I was viewing the list for the teams in the USFA State Tournament in Beaumont and I was surprised that the GT Shockers were the only Beaumont/Golden Triangle team entered in the A division for 10U or 12U players.  I know that USFA is not ASA which really shocked me that the Shockers were the only ones willing to compete in the A division class.  My daughter is on the GT Shockers and we have had a long row to hoe as first year 12U.  But like all things I want the best for her and want her challenged.  She has played against some really tough teams and has had her hat handed to her several times.  But I feel that each lost game that her team has had to endure has made them better.  The coaching staff of the GT Shockers will continue to press our girls and expect a level of excellence that the girls will continue to show by competing in the A Division class.  I hope that I speak for the rest of the parents in saying thank you to our coaching staff for ensuring that our daughters are continued to be challenged and not settling for hollow victories. 

Charlotte Mattox

Top 5 reasons I like this post:  ;)

5.  Measuring contests are like train wrecks... you watch despite the horror.
4.  The younger the kids, the better the adult smack thrown around.
3.  There haven't been any Shocker self-promotion posts in at least a week.
2.  High school is over so there might as well be something to discuss.
1.  Danbury is not part of the discussion.

Haha, just a bit of light humor.  Pardon the interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled mud slinging.

As a coach of a 10U team that has seen many of the teams who are registered for the 'B' State Tournament, I have wondered why some of those teams are content at that level and not playing in the 'A' Tournament.... Lots of those teams listed as 'B' should not be.... Sounds like they may be ducking out? :)

I haven't seen all the 10U teams play this year, in fact very little, but most are not probably ready for "A". I think you need to be able to master the "B" before you move up to "A". If you don't you will probably just get overwhelmed and make no progress. If you can move up and compete, then the higher competition will make you better, but if you get totally overwhelmed, it is not going to do you much good. There may be some teams that are looking for hollow victories, but I beleive most are just not ready.

I agree, like I said, some teams are settling for hollow victories, while others are realistic about their talent. There should be atleast a couple more from our area. I won't throw out any names but I know at least one is ready to take the challenge.

[quote name="MBB2" post="1017165" timestamp="1307502994"]
Top 5 reasons I like this post:   ;)

5.  Measuring contests are like train wrecks... you watch despite the horror.
4.  The younger the kids, the better the adult smack thrown around.
3.  There haven't been any Shocker self-promotion posts in at least a week.
2.  High school is over so there might as well be something to discuss.
1.  Danbury is not part of the discussion.

Haha, just a bit of light humor.  Pardon the interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled mud slinging.
[/quote]

5. I agree
4. I agree
3. Sorry, maybe we should "promote" others...that makes sense...at least we dont brag (self promote) about winning in WEST LAKE...hahaha
2. I agree
1. I agree

Not bad, looks like we agree on 80% of your observations.

Promoting another team makes about as much sense as trashing them.  The subject could have easily been posted as to who was playing what level for what reasons without fanning any flames.  Just my 2 cents... and since I have no dog in this race, that's probably overvalued!    ;D

[quote name="Charley" post="1017149" timestamp="1307498735"]
I was viewing the list for the teams in the USFA State Tournament in Beaumont and I was surprised that the GT Shockers were the only Beaumont/Golden Triangle team entered in the A division for 10U or 12U players.  I know that USFA is not ASA which really shocked me that the Shockers were the only ones willing to compete in the A division class.  My daughter is on the GT Shockers and we have had a long row to hoe as first year 12U.  But like all things I want the best for her and want her challenged.  She has played against some really tough teams and has had her hat handed to her several times.  But I feel that each lost game that her team has had to endure has made them better.  The coaching staff of the GT Shockers will continue to press our girls and expect a level of excellence that the girls will continue to show by competing in the A Division class.  I hope that I speak for the rest of the parents in saying thank you to our coaching staff for ensuring that our daughters are continued to be challenged and not settling for hollow victories. 

Charlotte Mattox
[/quote]

Guaranteed more playing time propaganda...lol...

[quote]3.  There haven't been any Shocker self-promotion posts in at least a week.[/quote]

All teams to some degree do and should self promote.. there is nothing wrong with that. What do you think high school and college teams are doing when they sell logo items? Those of us on Shockers are proud of our team and our coaches otherwise we'd be on other teams. Likewise, those on other teams are just as proud of theirs. That's the way it should be. To get into a pissing contest over that just looks petty and ridiculous.

I'd be more upset with teams in the "B" tournament if this were an ASA tournament. I do understand that this is primarily a select tournament and that a lot of these teams are working on seeding for the World Series. It makes sense they would work on their points. I'm glad our coach pushes the girls to be better and put them in the "A" tournament. Of course, we're not going to Florida either. Though I bet if we were he'd still put them in the "A" tournament and that is why we have chosen to be with him. I'm sure everyone else is just as proud of their team/coach. Good luck to everyone in the tournament this weekend!

[quote name="MBB2" post="1017643" timestamp="1307725147"]
Promoting another team makes about as much sense as trashing them.  The subject could have easily been posted as to who was playing what level for what reasons without fanning any flames.  Just my 2 cents... and since I have no dog in this race, that's probably overvalued!     ;D

[/quote]

Hardly considered trashing...simply stating the facts....if doing so seems to upset you or others then do something to change those facts....do not get mad at the messenger. Just MY 2 cents!

2 more cents....if you are a select team (comprised of players from all over the GT) there is NO excuse why you should be playing in the B division. If however you are a local all star team looking to get more experience and playing time kudos to you....otherwise a weak decision....

More self promotion...we are not only a 1st year 12U team we have 3 10U players...2 of which start....no way in your lifetime would I coward down to take the route of playing in the B division......a little something called PRIDE.

A total of 4 cents and some (GT Shocker) self promotion....

[quote name="JohnnyT60" post="1017202" timestamp="1307543933"]
I haven't seen all the 10U teams play this year, in fact very little, but most are not probably ready for "A". I think you need to be able to master the "B" before you move up to "A". If you don't you will probably just get overwhelmed and make no progress. If you can move up and compete, then the higher competition will make you better, but if you get totally overwhelmed, it is not going to do you much good. There may be some teams that are looking for hollow victories, but I beleive most are just not ready.
[/quote]

JT this is NOT ASA....don't get confused with the talent level of teams comparatively...

Why can't we ask this question...not ready for what? Teams have been together at least a full year...had plenty of time to get where you need to be to challenge your team in a STATE tournament regarless of the affiliation....especially it being USFA....not ASA!

Love ya...respect ya....but strongly disagree with ya on this one...but for good measure GEAUX TIGERS!

"... really shocked me that the Shockers were the [u]only ones willing[/u] to compete in the A division class."

"... ensuring that our daughters are [u]continued to be challenged[/u] and not settling for [u]hollow victories[/u]." 

"... [u]at least we dont brag[/u] (self promote) about winning in WEST LAKE...hahaha"   

"... no way in your lifetime would I [u]coward down[/u] to take the route of playing in the B division."

I have been duly corrected.  Please disregard my use of "self-promotion" and replace it with "self-righteous"- thanks.

And good luck to the Shockers and all other teams, wherever you play against whatever competition. 

[quote name="Craig S" post="1018022" timestamp="1307861326"]
[quote author=JohnnyT60 link=topic=84819.msg1017202#msg1017202 date=1307543933]
[/quote]

JT this is NOT ASA....don't get confused with the talent level of teams comparatively...

Why can't we ask this question...not ready for what? Teams have been together at least a full year...had plenty of time to get where you need to be to challenge your team in a STATE tournament regarless of the affiliation....especially it being USFA....not ASA!

Love ya...respect ya....but strongly disagree with ya on this one...but for good measure GEAUX TIGERS!
[/quote]

If you are not winning the "West lake" tournament on a regular basis, isn't that an indication that you are probably not an "A" team yet? BTW, we disagree a lot, so not a total shock, but that's OK.  ;D I had asked awhile back, since I am an old guy, what affilliations were the best and got some answers. The reason I asked is because some guys seemed to be bragging about winning some different affiliations that were not considered that strong when we were doing this thing. I would certainly agree that ASA is a different animal, but don't you have many of the dominant ASA teams playing in these USFA tournaments? But don't mistake what I am saying, if you can compete, you need to be playing in the "A" division.

"... really shocked me that the Shockers were the [u]only ones willing[/u] to compete in the A division class."
[color=red]No one was "forced" to play A or B....so yes "willing" would be a factual statement[/color]

"... ensuring that our daughters are [u]continued to be challenged[/u] and not settling for [u]hollow victories[/u]." 
[color=red]If you choose a stronger opponent, leaving you ith uncertainty of wheather you would win or not over a KNOWN victory this too would be a factual statement[/color]

"... [u]at least we dont brag[/u] (self promote) about winning in WEST LAKE...hahaha" 
[color=red]Have you ever seen, read, or heard of any GT Shocker team even speak of victories anywhere, especially off the beaten path tournaments.....oh yea, I'll flatter you and "self promote" again....when our Gold team qualified for Gold Nat's a few years ago.[/color]  

"... no way in your lifetime would I [u]coward down[/u] to take the route of playing in the B division."
[color=red]If you have the option to compete against older, stronger, faster, more experienced teams and you CHOOSE weaker, smaller, slower, less experienced opponents....I think that statement applies[/color]

I have been duly corrected.  Please disregard my use of "self-promotion" and replace it with "self-righteous"- thanks.
[color=red]Only argumentative for those who take offense to or that apply to my statements....I bet NO ONE in the A division feels that Ive crossed the line....in FACT it was the talk of the tournament amoung us[/color]

And good luck to the Shockers and all other teams, wherever you play against whatever competition. 
[color=red]Thank You[/color]

[quote name="JohnnyT60" post="1018039" timestamp="1307891631"]
[quote author=Craig S link=topic=84819.msg1018022#msg1018022 date=1307861326]
[quote author=JohnnyT60 link=topic=84819.msg1017202#msg1017202 date=1307543933]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you are not winning the "West lake" tournament on a regular basis, isn't that an indication that you are probably not an "A" team yet? BTW, we disagree a lot, so not a total shock, but that's OK.  ;D I had asked awhile back, since I am an old guy, what affilliations were the best and got some answers. The reason I asked is because some guys seemed to be bragging about winning some different affiliations that were not considered that strong when we were doing this thing. I would certainly agree that ASA is a different animal, but don't you have many of the dominant ASA teams playing in these USFA tournaments? But don't mistake what I am saying, if you can compete, you need to be playing in the "A" division.
[/quote]

Doesnt matter if you win or not, once you recruit and select players from outside of any one prospective league you are defined as a "A team". By definition All Star teams are considered "B teams".

I can agree with the theory of not winning in "West Lake" is a sure sign maybe you shouldn't except the "points" qualification to play in Florida in nationals. Kind of pointless to pay all that money and travel so far, if you cant WIN at the local level.....but come on....this tournament was in our back yard.

ASA is King, I think everyone agrees on that. USFA in our area is probably #2 whereas it varies as to which Affiliation is #2 around the country...AFA is still alive in the west....USSSA is big in the Northeast/East....

The "B division" of this tournament was a mixture of "known" strong teams, and league all star teams......I will stand by my opionion.....NO LOCAL TEAM IN THE 12U AGE GROUP SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE "B" DIVISION.......slice it...dice it...make excuses....whatever!

By the way...we didnt do all that well in the "A" division....we went 1-2 including a pretty good butt kicking to send us home....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami