Saltwater

vhs

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we launched at the marina on Pleasure Island this morning and got blown off the lake.  Trailered over to Bridge City and launched at Cow Bayou and had a pretty good day.  Caught a  mixed bag of reds, specks, flounder, whiting, sandtrout, and sheephead.  Big Red went 29" ...Big Speck went 23"... and Big Flounder went 20"  ... a little wind blown, but had a lot of fun

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't been catching any big numbers, but I have had several trips over the last few weeks that have bagged some solid fish.  Cow Bayou and the Dupont Outfall have been pretty reliable.  I hear the reds are schooling like crazy all over the lake.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name="PNG Proud" post="1360917" timestamp="1357268528"]
It's just about time to hit the shell reefs.  Any of you guys fish there too?
[/quote]

I caught my biggest speck ever (not huge but 6.1 pounds) on the reef in the deep water just north of the causeway bridge in late February. I was dragging a 6" bass worm along the bottom bumping off the shell when I got the bump.

Okay,enlighten me guys.  Is the shell the deep water area north of the Causeway?  What type of rigging/ technique do you prefer on the shell.  I have little to no experience fishing on the shell, but from what I remember it is a whole different ballgame.

[quote name="vhs" post="1360999" timestamp="1357320602"]
Okay,enlighten me guys.  Is the shell the deep water area north of the Causeway?  What type of rigging/ technique do you prefer on the shell.  I have little to no experience fishing on the shell, but from what I remember it is a whole different ballgame.
[/quote]

There is a lot of shell in that area including the deep water north of the causeway. The fish go deep when it is cold and sure aren't chasing shrimp across the top.... because they aren't hanging around there either.

I try to fish deep right along the reef that time of the year. I think they pick up shrimp, minnows and other food hiding or hanging out in the shell..... and fish slow.

You just let the tide puch you across the shell.  Find water 10-12 foot deep and then get a jig that is heavy enough to get on the bottom.  No reeling necessary.  Just let out line until you occasionally tick the bottom.  If you aren't hanging up some, you are not deep enough.  Once you get it right, just hop it and let it sink back.  When the fish are in there, usually starting in late february, it's that simple.    Just go north from the causeway until you see boats grouped up.    When you catch a couple, note the depth.  That's where you will want to be.  Even better, throw out a buoy and drift past that same spot a few times.

[quote name="westend1" post="1361222" timestamp="1357400603"]
You just let the tide puch you across the shell.  Find water 10-12 foot deep and then get a jig that is heavy enough to get on the bottom.  No reeling necessary.  Just let out line until you occasionally tick the bottom.  If you aren't hanging up some, you are not deep enough.  Once you get it right, just hop it and let it sink back.  When the fish are in there, usually starting in late february, it's that simple.    Just go north from the causeway until you see boats grouped up.    When you catch a couple, note the depth.  That's where you will want to be.  Even better, throw out a buoy and drift past that same spot a few times.
[/quote]

Spot on Westend.  You MUST be moving,  and if you aren't losing baits,  you're not deep enough.  My wife refuses to fish with me when I go there  :)  J/K
The trout are feeding on eels usually.  Fish with bass worms, rigged on a 1/4  or 3/8 oz. jig head.  Fire & ice or Fire Tiger always seemed to work for me.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    voodoopriestonline
    Newest Member
    voodoopriestonline