Breaking news: Steve Roccoforte fired as Lamar Basketball Head Coach

[quote name="NickKBTV" post="982696" timestamp="1300147846"]
I didn't know I was employed by setxsports.com.  
[/quote]

Wait a second, you mean SETXsports.com employs, i.e., pays people? >:( >:( >:(  

JORDAN, WE HAVE TO TALK!!! :D :D :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="982751" timestamp="1300153495"]
[quote author=cornhusker link=topic=81689.msg982742#msg982742 date=1300152863]
Rock will be fine and make 5 times the money Lamar pays at a big name college. Count on it.
[/quote]

I doubt he will make $675,000 per year anywhere!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]

He will call up all those connections he has out there and land a Big Time position as a recruiter ;)

[quote name="dogs1218" post="982755" timestamp="1300153678"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=81689.msg982751#msg982751 date=1300153495]
[quote author=cornhusker link=topic=81689.msg982742#msg982742 date=1300152863]
Rock will be fine and make 5 times the money Lamar pays at a big name college. Count on it.
[/quote]

I doubt he will make $675,000 per year anywhere!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]

He will call up all those connections he has out there and land a Big Time position as a recruiter ;)
[/quote]

I agree..........but won't make 5 times what LU is paying him!!!!

It is quite hard for me to believe that anyone could be surprised this move was made.  And the fact that there *are* some people who probably *will* call for the head of the new coach three months into next season doesn't change the fact that success is not optional in the college coaching profession.

Sorry, Nick.  This isn't the Big XII.  It's not the ACC.  Hell, it's not even the Sun Belt.  This is one of the worst conferences in the country--Texas State, who finished (tied) for second in the conference, had losses to NAIA Our Lady of the Lake and should-be-NAIA Houston Baptist on its record.  Northwestern State, who beat Lamar twice and finished tied for second in the conference, lost to LSU-Shreveport.  These are not the resumes of quality teams, and it is not a quality basketball conference--and LU hasn't been respectable in the conference for three years.  With the advantages in support and season ticket sales LU has, we should be a dominant player in this conference, routinely finishing in the top 3-4.  To finish behind all but three teams in this godawful basketball conference is not acceptable.  Roc had his chances.  I didn't shift to the "Fire Roc" side until mid-season this year--you do give the local guy with a good recruiting rep an extra chance.  He had the chance, and couldn't deliver.  

I am sorry it has come to this.  Roc did care about LU, he did work hard, and he did some good things, including his solid graduation record.  I wish him the best in landing an assistant job, and want to thank him for being professional at a time that it had to be tough--being out on the recruiting trail last weekend even when he had to think the axe might fall.  

I gotta say that when they hired Roc I was very excited. I really expected big things and was happy it was a guy that loved this university and this area. I said then and I will say it again any new coach at a mid to low major should get 5 years to bild a program. I was 100% behind OUR guy. It just didn't happen. Five years is up and this program is no better then it was on the court. It's time to move on. As most have stated Steve Rocaforte will find a position quickly doing what he does best for a big program and he will probably make more money. I know it's not what I invisioned five years ago nor what Roc invisioned when he moved his family here, but it is part of the coaches lifestyle. At the end of the day it's all about winning. Don't give me this graduation rate BS. Rice graduates every football player it recruits, but they still have a new coach every four years!!! Here's hoping the next roll of the dice is the lucky roll for us LU fans. As a PNG fan, a lot of folks on here thought we were nuts for wanting to make a change from Burnett two years removed from a DC, but we all knew what shape the program was in...It was time. We rolled the dice and we couldn't be happier. We now have a HC that is building a solid program. Here's hoping Tidwell and company get lucky.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="982889" timestamp="1300199320"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=81689.msg982744#msg982744 date=1300153007]
Mike Deane graduated virtually every player on his LU roster, but nobody praised him for it!!!
[/quote] Deane also made the NCAA tourney!
[/quote]

Waiting for someone to come in with the "But that was with Giovanne's players"!!!!

The only problem with Deane was that he recruited good kids that he knew would graduated.  Got the most out of them, but they could not compete with the more athletic teams.  He was a great X's and O's guy.  Plus he liked to scream and drop a GD or F Bomb every now and then on the court!!! ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• To clarify, Dems love wars. They rage daily in the bluest of blue inner citicis. Chicago had 39 shootings over the weekend, 9 dead. Warzone. Baltimore, Memphis, Detroit, etc. I am sure was just as bloody. The blue body count rises daily. I am sure the blue defunding of police and releasing murders without any bail have nothing to do with it. Right?   
    • Will probably be released by the Democrats come September.  Sound familiar?
    • Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
    • He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 
  • Topics