What Qualities Needed For The New Hamshire Fannett Basketball Coach ?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BadMedicine" post="983906" timestamp="1300305590"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=81494.msg983903#msg983903 date=1300305131]
If they would hire a superintendent/basketball coach, they could probably avoid UOF.
[/quote]

Thats a dang good idea!!!

I believe a former HF BB coach from the early 2000's got his administration certification.
[/quote]But, does this former coach have a winning track record?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="984193" timestamp="1300368052"]
[quote author=BadMedicine link=topic=81494.msg983906#msg983906 date=1300305590]
If they would hire a superintendent/basketball coach, they could probably avoid UOF.
[/quote]

I believe a former HF BB coach from the early 2000's got his administration certification.
[/quote]

Yes.  He definitely has a winning track record...probably the best BB coach in HF history.  He took them further in the playoffs than any team ever advanced.  When he left HF, he took his new school to state 2 or 3 years.  He is now the head coach at a Houston area 4A school.

[quote name="BadMedicine" post="984535" timestamp="1300404651"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81494.msg984193#msg984193 date=1300368052]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes.  He definitely has a winning track record...probably the best BB coach in HF history.  He took them further in the playoffs than any team ever advanced.  When he left HF, he took his new school to state 2 or 3 years.  He is now the head coach at a Houston area 4A school.
[/quote]

Well now, if he is at a Houston 4A, why would he go to a middle of the road 3A? (enrollment, money)

Stretttccchhhh...............i just woke up, are we talking about the mighty longhorns......still? Why? Does'nt matter if they have a few good players or not! There will be no development, no skills worked on, no chemistry aroused............Univ. Off Season...in 4 yrs you guys will be saying" if it wasn't for that there ole UOSeason we woulve taken third in that darned ole 3a district...We then will be talking about how good those kids were in middle school. Kinda like when those daddies talk about their little joey and how good he was in pee wee-league all-stars! those young kids are'nt good enough right now. Sorry but their not. Yearly progress has to be made for kids to really develop.I know, i know, AAu summa time hoopin. Where all that sophisticated offense and team defense is taught, right along w that finger pointing and look at me and my new sneakers. Ona more serious note, I hope H.F. gets a solid BASKETBALL COACH and HE, gets a chance to build a program on his own terms. Love to see kids that have a passion for the game get an opprotunity to reach their full potential. It's a great thing to witness! Good Luck!

[quote name="team first" post="984743" timestamp="1300423873"]
Stretttccchhhh...............i just woke up, are we talking about the mighty longhorns......still? Why? Does'nt matter if they have a few good players or not! There will be no development, no skills worked on, no chemistry aroused............Univ. Off Season...in 4 yrs you guys will be saying" if it wasn't for that there ole UOSeason we woulve taken third in that darned ole 3a district...We then will be talking about how good those kids were in middle school. Kinda like when those daddies talk about their little joey and how good he was in pee wee-league all-stars! those young kids are'nt good enough right now. Sorry but their not. Yearly progress has to be made for kids to really develop.I know, i know, AAu summa time hoopin. Where all that sophisticated offense and team defense is taught, right along w that finger pointing and look at me and my new sneakers. Ona more serious note, I hope H.F. gets a solid BASKETBALL COACH and HE, gets a chance to build a program on his own terms. Love to see kids that have a passion for the game get an opprotunity to reach their full potential. It's a great thing to witness! Good Luck!
[/quote] Thanks for reminding me that my kids have not received their extra pair of new sneakers this month ;) Team, you raise some good points. I have this conversation all the time about kids developing from year to year. In the good old days, you could see if a kid was progressing after 3 months of summer development. You can't take this game for granted because there are kids coming up behind you who will better and some already in classes above you.

[quote name="dawg13" post="984715" timestamp="1300421412"]
No offense to the said coach,but at HF we are trying to move foward not backwards with an old coach leave the past in the past.
[/quote]

There is no way this guy would return to HF.  This discussion started when Stevenash suggested that HF hire a combo superintendent/head basketball coach.  From what I remember he had his administration certification.

But I promise you that Blue Dove and all the parents would love to have this guy back.  He is an outstanding basketball coach.  HF will be fortunate to hire a guy like him and should use his resume to set the qualifications for the new coach.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="983831" timestamp="1300297685"]
[quote author=killingmesmalls link=topic=81494.msg983824#msg983824 date=1300296953]
Wildcatter stated "You are forgetting that a football ad is the guy who is going to be doing the hiring.  We had an opportunity to hire a really good basketball assistant last year, everything checked out on him etc.  Then, at the last moment, a good football assistant opened up and we instead had a new assistant bb coach who had never even played the game. I just think that a true bb coach is going to have trouble here due to the fact that the fb coach is not really interested in building a solid program, he wants to build "athletes" which means better football.  JMO"

Who would this "good assistant" be???  The assistant that was hired was a head basketball coach and is the only one on the staff with ANY playoff experience.  Who should HF have hired?

Does anyone know the list of applicants yet?  AAW has said a few clues as to who has applied but no concrete list.
[/quote]

I have been privy of some of the names on the list (which is still growing, no deadline set yet) but until HF makes it public, then I will not mention any names.
[/quote]Aggie, don't you guys use the Freedom of Information Act to get those names for your media outlets?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="984962" timestamp="1300473370"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=81494.msg983831#msg983831 date=1300297685]
[quote author=killingmesmalls link=topic=81494.msg983824#msg983824 date=1300296953]
Wildcatter stated "You are forgetting that a football ad is the guy who is going to be doing the hiring.  We had an opportunity to hire a really good basketball assistant last year, everything checked out on him etc.  Then, at the last moment, a good football assistant opened up and we instead had a new assistant bb coach who had never even played the game. I just think that a true bb coach is going to have trouble here due to the fact that the fb coach is not really interested in building a solid program, he wants to build "athletes" which means better football.  JMO"

Who would this "good assistant" be???  The assistant that was hired was a head basketball coach and is the only one on the staff with ANY playoff experience.  Who should HF have hired?

Does anyone know the list of applicants yet?  AAW has said a few clues as to who has applied but no concrete list.
[/quote]

I have been privy of some of the names on the list (which is still growing, no deadline set yet) but until HF makes it public, then I will not mention any names.
[/quote]Aggie, don't you guys use the Freedom of Information Act to get those names for your media outlets?
[/quote]

Yes we do. But this is not that important to go to those lengths. ;) ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="984964" timestamp="1300473504"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81494.msg984962#msg984962 date=1300473370]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] :D Rodney Dangerfield syndrone :D :D Poor HF

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="984537" timestamp="1300404770"]
[quote author=BadMedicine link=topic=81494.msg984535#msg984535 date=1300404651]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81494.msg984193#msg984193 date=1300368052]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well now, if he is at a Houston 4A, why would he go to a middle of the road 3A? (enrollment, money)
[/quote]

I don't think he is interested in the job. He does, however, have a call in to the current superintendent with a recommendation for the future coach.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="984994" timestamp="1300475487"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=81494.msg984964#msg984964 date=1300473504]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81494.msg984962#msg984962 date=1300473370]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] :D Rodney Dangerfield syndrone :D :D Poor HF
[/quote]

Dove- Have you considered changing careers and becoming the next BBALL leader/guru at HF?  If not, I will bet it is because you don't want to lift weights to set an example.

:D I had to write two notes this morning explaining that my senior high kid need a break from the weights for a week and the middle schooler should not be doing knee bends. The knee bend directions came from a very qualified personal trianer out of Houston. ;) I really don't mind the weight lifting but in moderation with very active student-athletes.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="989246" timestamp="1301325703"]
:D I had to write two notes this morning explaining that my senior high kid need a break from the weights for a week and the middle schooler should not be doing knee bends. The knee bend directions came from a very qualified personal trianer out of Houston. ;) I really don't mind the weight lifting but in moderation with very active student-athletes.
[/quote]

If my memory is correct, when I had my army basic training, they outlawed the "duck walk" because of all the damage it did.

Guest speechless
article in coaching management about Butler's weight training program....here are some excerpts:

"From June to August our lifting is voluntary but we have great attendance..."

"During the summer our athletes perform a four-day upper body/lower body split routine..."

"During the fall we stay with the same four day lifting schedule..."

"It has been my experience that basketball players do best when the workouts are short and frequent (35-45 min)"

"When official practices begin and the season is around the corner we cut down to three days a week....we also back off on leg work because the players legs take such a pounding during practices and games..."

"For instance, squats are pased out in favor of body weight work, lunges, and step ups in the 10 to 12 range..."

[i][b]"Once the game schedule begins, we pare down our weightlifting even more.  When playing two to three games and practicing three to four times per week, there isn't much time left for strength work.  Still, our goal is to get in two weekly lifting sessions.  Because we are focused on winning games, not building weightlifters, the last thing I wasnt to do is wear a player down in the weightroom.  That's why our basic approach is to perform total-body lifts for 30 minutes during these sessions, supersetting opposing muscle groups."

"As the season advances, we back off another 10 percent or more.  And in the postseason we do almost no leg work other than some step ups, lunges, and hamstring curls."[/b][/i]

"I consider our approach to in-season lifting very successful.  In fact, eight days after that game (2010 championship game), we administered the 185-pound bench press rep test and found that the team maintained just over 90% of its preseason strength baseline."

[quote name="speechless" post="989368" timestamp="1301336623"]
article in coaching management about Butler's weight training program....here are some excerpts:

"From June to August our lifting is voluntary but we have great attendance..."

"During the summer our athletes perform a four-day upper body/lower body split routine..."

"During the fall we stay with the same four day lifting schedule..."

"It has been my experience that basketball players do best when the workouts are short and frequent (35-45 min)"

"When official practices begin and the season is around the corner we cut down to three days a week....we also back off on leg work because the players legs take such a pounding during practices and games..."

"For instance, squats are pased out in favor of body weight work, lunges, and step ups in the 10 to 12 range..."

[i][b]"Once the game schedule begins, we pare down our weightlifting even more.  When playing two to three games and practicing three to four times per week, there isn't much time left for strength work.  Still, our goal is to get in two weekly lifting sessions.  Because we are focused on winning games, not building weightlifters, the last thing I wasnt to do is wear a player down in the weightroom.  That's why our basic approach is to perform total-body lifts for 30 minutes during these sessions, supersetting opposing muscle groups."

"As the season advances, we back off another 10 percent or more.  And in the postseason we do almost no leg work other than some step ups, lunges, and hamstring curls."[/b][/i]

"I consider our approach to in-season lifting very successful.  In fact, eight days after that game (2010 championship game), we administered the 185-pound bench press rep test and found that the team maintained just over 90% of its preseason strength baseline."
[/quote]Excellent points! Basketball is wear and tear on your legs during the season. Some kids play organized ball 9 months out of the year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder