Lamar-Port Arthur headed to NJCAA tournament

Lamar-PA ended their conference tournament with a 72-67 win over the 4th ranked team in the nation, San Jacinto after Lamar earlier beat the 9th ranked team in the nation, Trinity Valley.

They are now 25-9 and headed to the first round of the national tournament in Kentucky.

Thanks for the congratulations. The team really earned this win. They were down 16 points midway through the first half, and the Ravens expected the Seahawks to crumble from that point, just like all but three of their previous opponents had done.

I guess they didn't see Lamar State come back from 20 points down with 9:30 remaining in Thursday's opening round game against Kilgore College. 

I couldn't get my computer working correctly in Tyler after the game, so here's the post I would have put up. (BTW, the tournament is in Hutchinson, Kansas).

Tyler, Tx. -- Sophomore guard Vonn Jones put on a 30-point tournament MVP performance Monday in Tyler as the Lamar State College-Port Arthur Seahawks won the Region XIV championship after stopping the No. 4 junior college team in the nation, San Jacinto College, 72-67, in the Herrington Patriot Center at the University of Texas-Tyler.

The start of the men's championship game was delayed 30 minutes by overtime in the women's championship game between Lon Morris College and Trinity Valley Community College.

San Jacinto breezed through the quarterfinal and semi-final rounds of the tournament, winning by more than 20 points. But the Ravens didn't find the going as easy against Lamar State.

The game was close for the first 18 minutes of the first half. But then, San Jacinto's big men scored several put-backs to put the Ravens up by 11 points at halftime, 39-28.

Sophomore guard Vonn Jones, the tournament MVP, put up 12 first half points for the Seahawks, who hit only 36 percent from the field and missed six of seven free throws by halftime.

The Ravens pulled away by 16 points early in the second period with three-pointers and strong inside play. But the Seahawks slowly cut the deficit and tied 57-57 with seven minutes remaining on a three-pointer by Jones.

The game was tight in the final minutes, but the Seahawks maintained control to come away with the win and a trip to the NJCAA Division Championship Tournament, March 15-17 in Hutchinson, Kansas..

Jones led all scorers with 30 points. Keenen Coleman and Dion Waiters added 14 and 13 points, respectively.

Marsell Holden paced San Jacinto with 21 points.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder