Hey Dogs1218.......I'll be in Hunstville Friday night if you need me..........

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I should have said they are one of the top PROGRAMS in the area if not THE top (program).  Hats off to the teams that have beaten them THIS year.  They are all some very good teams.  My point is that you can not say that HJ is not one of the elite programs in the area.....and this year, once again, one of the elite teams. 

[quote name="CoachKfan" post="976591" timestamp="1299178337"]
Perhaps I should have said they are one of the top PROGRAMS in the area if not THE top (program).  Hats off to the teams that have beaten them THIS year.  They are all some very good teams.  My point is that you can not say that HJ is not one of the elite programs in the area.....and this year, once again, one of the elite teams.   
[/quote]

Dogs- I hope you are reading this

I for one never said THE top team in the area.  I said A top team in the area.  That is what dogs1218 said.  Fact of the matter is they have been A top team in the area.  It is not HJ's fault that besides silsbee and wos that the district is fairly weak.  HJ played the entire pre season without a HUGE piece to their puzzle in Greyson Sutherland.  Many argued all year long whether he made that big of a difference or not.  The last 3 games have proven that he makes a HUMONGOUS difference.  HJ is a top team in this area and has been all year.

[quote name="sleepy" post="976605" timestamp="1299179318"]
I for one never said THE top team in the area.  I said A top team in the area.  That is what dogs1218 said.  Fact of the matter is they have been A top team in the area.  It is not HJ's fault that besides silsbee and wos that the district is fairly weak.  HJ played the entire pre season without a HUGE piece to their puzzle in Greyson Sutherland.  Many argued all year long whether he made that big of a difference or not.  The last 3 games have proven that he makes a HUMONGOUS difference.  HJ is a top team in this area and has been all year.
[/quote]

Cool it, Sleepy.  That is arrogant and you have no right to believe that the team you follow can be good every year.  5 straight years to regional tournament ( oops, sorry for bringing in a little history) is no justification for believing what you believe - and NEVER think that just because something happened in the past that it has a chance of happening again.

[quote name="CoachKfan" post="976591" timestamp="1299178337"]
[/quote]

No doubt about being one of the top teams in the area this yr, and in yrs past...

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="976562" timestamp="1299176573"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=81176.msg976559#msg976559 date=1299176407]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=81176.msg976553#msg976553 date=1299175979]
[quote author=CoachKfan link=topic=81176.msg976416#msg976416 date=1299169399]
If this dog18 doesn't think HJ is one of the TOP teams in the area, if not THE top, I can't imagine what basketball he's been watching!!!  Congratulations to Coach English and the Nederland team.  He has done a great job over there and the HJ fans will be pulling for them!
[/quote]

HJ is having a great season, no doubt. THE top team in the area...come on! Silsbee beat them twice, Nederland, Central, and LC-M(?) also beat them. They are a solid team, but not better than Silsbee or Nederland (regardless the fact that Silsbee is already out-they beat them twice!)
[/quote]

Abe, you are probably right but I am betting  they are more improved over the past 3 weeks than anyone else in this area.
[/quote]

I'm NOT going to argue with that! After their win last night, I'm on board...Unlike AAW and Soulja NOT being on board w/Nederland. Come on guys...what's it going to take???
[/quote]

Everyone is pulling for Nederland, but they are still going to be underdogs the rest of the year.  Now that Cleveland and Silsbee are gone, HJ is actually a favorite to get to state.

[quote name="bullets13" post="976626" timestamp="1299180340"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=81176.msg976562#msg976562 date=1299176573]
If this dog18 doesn't think HJ is one of the TOP teams in the area, if not THE top, I can't imagine what basketball he's been watching!!!  Congratulations to Coach English and the Nederland team.  He has done a great job over there and the HJ fans will be pulling for them!
[/quote]

HJ is having a great season, no doubt. THE top team in the area...come on! Silsbee beat them twice, Nederland, Central, and LC-M(?) also beat them. They are a solid team, but not better than Silsbee or Nederland (regardless the fact that Silsbee is already out-they beat them twice!)
[/quote]

Abe, you are probably right but I am betting  they are more improved over the past 3 weeks than anyone else in this area.
[/quote]

I'm NOT going to argue with that! After their win last night, I'm on board...Unlike AAW and Soulja NOT being on board w/Nederland. Come on guys...what's it going to take???
[/quote]

Everyone is pulling for Nederland, but they are still going to be underdogs the rest of the year.  Now that Cleveland and Silsbee are gone, HJ is actually a favorite to get to state.
[/quote]

R U sure about that?  Wouldnt it be logical to think that perhaps Sealy is now the favorite by virtue of beating a team that went 2-0 against HJ?

[quote name="stevenash" post="976633" timestamp="1299180782"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=81176.msg976626#msg976626 date=1299180340]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Everyone is pulling for Nederland, but they are still going to be underdogs the rest of the year.  Now that Cleveland and Silsbee are gone, HJ is actually a favorite to get to state.
[/quote]

R U sure about that?  Wouldnt it be logical to think that perhaps Sealy is now the favorite by virtue of beating a team that went 2-0 against HJ?
[/quote]

Don't sleep on Mexia! ;D

[quote name="bullets13" post="976626" timestamp="1299180340"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Everyone is pulling for Nederland, but they are still going to be underdogs the rest of the year.  Now that Cleveland and Silsbee are gone, HJ is actually a favorite to get to state.
[/quote]

Cleveland and Silsbee were the best b/c of an opinion though, right? Two weeks ago, we ALL thought Silsbee would b in the St Tourney, not HJ. Nederland is the underdog from here on out based on their lack of B-Ball success over the years (55+). The fact that Ball has 2 DI players who have verbally committed does not equate to a better team or a victory over Nederland-That's why they play the game. Nederland won't gain respect until they win state or have a long run of success IMO. I think everyone forgets this same Nederland team was 1 game away from playing Yates in the Reg Tourney last year, and they have not lost a game since early December.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="976637" timestamp="1299181015"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=81176.msg976626#msg976626 date=1299180340]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cleveland and Silsbee were the best b/c of an opinion though, right? Two weeks ago, we ALL thought Silsbee would b in the St Tourney, not HJ. Nederland is the underdog from here on out based on their lack of B-Ball success over the years (55+). The fact that Ball has 2 DI players who have verbally committed does not equate to a better team or a victory over Nederland-That's why they play the game. Nederland won't gain respect until they win state or have a long run of success IMO. I think everyone forgets this same Nederland team was 1 game away from playing Yates in the Reg Tourney last year, and they have not lost a game since early December.
[/quote]

Very much agree especially on the "two D-1 players not equating to a better TEAM"

No, Cleveland and Silsbee were the BEST BASKETBALL TEAMS IN THE REGION.  The fact that HJ beat Cleveland or that Silsbee was upset by Sealy doesn't change that fact.  

The reason that HJ was an underdog to make it to Austin was because Cleveland and Silsbee were in their way.  Those two teams are no longer in the way, and although HJ has a VERY tough opponent tomorrow, I'd much rather see them play Mexia than Silsbee or Cleveland again.  

Two of the reasons that Nederland was an underdog to make it to Austin were Ball and LaMarque.  Those two teams are STILL in the way of Nederland, meaning Nederland is STILL an underdog.  Yes, they've had a nice run, but they still have to beat probably the two best teams they've played all year to get to state.  It has nothing to do with pedigree.  It has everything to do with the remaining opponents in their way.

[quote name="bullets13" post="976645" timestamp="1299181598"]
No, Cleveland and Silsbee were the BEST BASKETBALL TEAMS IN THE REGION.  The fact that HJ beat Cleveland or that Silsbee was upset by Sealy doesn't change that fact.  

The reason that HJ was an underdog to make it to Austin was because Cleveland and Silsbee were in their way.  Those two teams are no longer in the way, and although HJ has a VERY tough opponent tomorrow, I'd much rather see them play Mexia than Silsbee or Cleveland again.  

Two of the reasons that Nederland was an underdog to make it to Austin were Ball and LaMarque.  Those two teams are STILL in the way of Nederland, meaning Nederland is STILL an underdog.  Yes, they've had a nice run, but they still have to beat probably the two best teams they've played all year to get to state.  It has nothing to do with pedigree.  It has everything to do with the remaining opponents in their way.
[/quote]

Very well stated.

[quote name="bullets13" post="976645" timestamp="1299181598"]

[/quote]

....Probably the best...based on their pedigree???

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="976658" timestamp="1299182247"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=81176.msg976645#msg976645 date=1299181598]
No, Cleveland and Silsbee were the BEST BASKETBALL TEAMS IN THE REGION.  The fact that HJ beat Cleveland or that Silsbee was upset by Sealy doesn't change that fact. 

The reason that HJ was an underdog to make it to Austin was because Cleveland and Silsbee were in their way.  Those two teams are no longer in the way, and although HJ has a VERY tough opponent tomorrow, I'd much rather see them play Mexia than Silsbee or Cleveland again. 

Two of the reasons that Nederland was an underdog to make it to Austin were Ball and LaMarque.  Those two teams are STILL in the way of Nederland, meaning Nederland is STILL an underdog.  Yes, they've had a nice run, but they still have to beat probably the two best teams they've played all year to get to state.  It has nothing to do with pedigree.  It has everything to do with the remaining opponents in their way.
[/quote]

[/quote]

based on their talent, their records, their wins, etc. etc. etc. 

[quote name="stevenash" post="976656" timestamp="1299182138"]
Silly me- I was thinking that the best teams are the ones that are still playing.
[/quote]

It's funny you say that because there were many an HJ fan back in 2008 stating the best team lost in the regional final to Silsbee. One was your son-in-law. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="976663" timestamp="1299182348"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=81176.msg976656#msg976656 date=1299182138]
Silly me- I was thinking that the best teams are the ones that are still playing.
[/quote]

It's funny you say that because there were many an HJ fan back in 2008 stating the best team lost in the regional final to Silsbee. One was your son-in-law. ;)
[/quote]
I remember that - I also remember some of the Silsbee folks making that very same statement after the Jasper loss.  Is it safe to assume that you totally agree that the best teams are still playing?

[quote name="bullets13" post="976660" timestamp="1299182317"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=81176.msg976658#msg976658 date=1299182247]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=81176.msg976645#msg976645 date=1299181598]
No, Cleveland and Silsbee were the BEST BASKETBALL TEAMS IN THE REGION.  The fact that HJ beat Cleveland or that Silsbee was upset by Sealy doesn't change that fact. 

The reason that HJ was an underdog to make it to Austin was because Cleveland and Silsbee were in their way.  Those two teams are no longer in the way, and although HJ has a VERY tough opponent tomorrow, I'd much rather see them play Mexia than Silsbee or Cleveland again. 

Two of the reasons that Nederland was an underdog to make it to Austin were Ball and LaMarque.  Those two teams are STILL in the way of Nederland, meaning Nederland is STILL an underdog.  Yes, they've had a nice run, but they still have to beat probably the two best teams they've played all year to get to state.  It has nothing to do with pedigree.  It has everything to do with the remaining opponents in their way.

[/quote]

[/quote]

based on their talent, their records, their wins, etc. etc. etc. 
[/quote]

Nederland has beat plenty of good teams, and their record is 32-4. What is it about Ball's 'talent' that Nederland doesn't have? They have the talent too. I understand the lack of convidence U have in Nederland b/c of their history, but lack of talent, victories, etc, etc is a weak statement.

[quote name="stevenash" post="976670" timestamp="1299182657"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=81176.msg976663#msg976663 date=1299182348]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=81176.msg976656#msg976656 date=1299182138]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I remember that - I also remember some of the Silsbee folks making that very same statement after the Jasper loss.  Is it safe to assume that you totally agree that the best teams are still playing?
[/quote]

I remember that as well. I was one of those Tiger fans. ;)

I do not agree. Sometimes the better team does not win in 1 game situations. I thought that HJ was the better team in 2008, Silsbee the better team in 2009.

Abe- I think you are exactly right.  I think many tend to get over enamored with individual talent and not sufficiently enamored with a teams ability to function as a team.  If I remember all of the talk on here in the last couple of days correctly, Nederland also had "no way" to stay with Humble.  Again, I think the skepticism works to Nederlands advantage.  Many also assume that if a team is from or near the "big city" then nobody can compete with them.  I guess we will find out soon and I have high hopes for Nederland to prove the naysayers wrong.

[quote name="stevenash" post="976691" timestamp="1299183273"]
Abe- I think you are exactly right.  I think many tend to get over enamored with individual talent and not sufficiently enamored with a teams ability to function as a team.  If I remember all of the talk on her in the last couple of days correctly, Nederland also had "no way" to stay with Humble.  Again, I think the skepticism works to Nederlands advantage.  Many also assume that if a team is from or near the "big city" then nobody can compete with them.  I guess we will find out soon and I have high hopes for Nederland to prove the naysayers wrong.
[/quote]
i will admit i was one of those that predicted defeat for Nederland.  Not trying to be negative, but didn't think they could pull it off.  I feel the same way this week, i just don't think they have enough to pull it off.  It would be great to see it Nederland pull off the upset and take a bite of crow.

What have I missed on the site that doesnt sleep? While my normal life is going on, and got plenty of sleep along with a few classes done, lets have a look..

Well looks like a whole thread was started about me again.. I have a pm you guys can use, that I check regularly.. just saying..

Next issue, Congrats to the Hardin Jefferson Hawks for showing why you are a top program and top team in the area AGAIN. Continue to to represent our area proudly! Now that you beat the team I thought yall would lose to, yall better keep on with it and come home from Austin with that trophy! ;D ;)

Next issue, To Nash, sleepy, and whoever else takes SETXsports.com as seriously as them, I hope you havent been too offended by any comments that were made in regards to your hawks. This is a public forum and most of the time you are chatting with someone who is a complete stranger. Making it a personal mission to haunt every thread I use must keep you busy. Sorry Nash, that was for you :D And check for any spelling.. I may have had a few ;)

And Further more, as Rob (LAZEEK) has made clear again, I would retract my statements and eat every one of my words if HJ beat Cleveland. HJ won so guess what that means? ;) Now I would appreciate if anybody has a comment in remark to this thread, please send a pm to me. This thread can be deleted, But give them a few hours to read more than once to try and find some mistake and explode on it :D