Hardin-Jefferson vs Port Neches-Groves Game Thread/H-J wins/Comments

Lazeek

The Port Neches-Groves Indians and the Hardin-Jefferson Hawks will play a warm up game in preparation for the State playoffs tonight on the campus of Lamar University.  Game time is set for 9:00pm.  The Indians finished the regular season 14-16 and 6-8 in District 20-4A which was good enough for the #4 seed.  The Hawks finished the regular season 30-6 and 8-2 in District 21-3A and took the #2 seed.  

Game will be broadcast LIVE here on the SETXSports Network with Rob Lietzke!!!

Click on the link below to listen to LIVE action at approximately 8:50pm!!!

http://www.setxsports.com/index/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113:robcast&catid=73:games

Thank you to our proud sponsors who make it possible to bring these games to you!!!

Mike Roby Insurance
Star Graphics
Raquel West Attorney At Law
Golf Cars of Beaumont
UBS---Stan Davis, Chris Davis and Heath McGallion
Southwest Building Systems
Hamburger Depot

[quote name="86hawk" post="968302" timestamp="1298055870"]
Lazeek,  no offense intended, but why broadcast this meaningless game instead of the girls playoff game?? Again, not trying to slam the boys of either team, but this game means zilch.  I thought you were going to show the girls some love???
[/quote]

:o :o :o

Scoring and Stats from tonight game:

PNG     8-15-17-18----58
HJ       18-23-15-23---79

PNG---

Doty        24
Pellegrin   14
Manuel     8
Miller       6
Nelson     5
Glorioso   1

HJ---

Sutherland     20
Prudhomme   18
Gustafson      18
Bosha           12
Persohn         9
Carr              2

FG%--
PNG      45.5%   20-44
HJ        54.3%   25-46

3-Pt%--
PNG      41.2%   7-17
HJ        56.3%   9-16

FT%--
PNG      55%     11-20
HJ        74.1%   20-27

Rebounds--
PNG      27 (12 Offense)
HJ        27 (10 Offense)

Assists--
PNG     13
HJ       13

Blocks--
PNG    2
HJ      2

Steals--
PNG    9
HJ      14

TO--
PNG     25
HJ       20

Fouls--
PNG     20
HJ       16

Officials:  Kelly Touchet, John Jones, Dallas Booker

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="968718" timestamp="1298096519"]
Wow, the starting five almost had everyone in double figures in scoring.  I believe against HJ, they did have all five starters in double figures.  That's a good sign.

Grayson and Gus hitting their 3's is also a good sign!
[/quote]

HJ was 9-15 from 3 in the 1st half and only took one in the 2nd half.  Shawn hit one, and Grayson and Zjori each hit 4 long balls tonight!!!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="968722" timestamp="1298096635"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=80480.msg968718#msg968718 date=1298096519]
Wow, the starting five almost had everyone in double figures in scoring.  I believe against HJ, they did have all five starters in double figures.  That's a good sign.

Grayson and Gus hitting their 3's is also a good sign!
[/quote]

HJ was 9-15 from 3 in the 1st half and only took one in the 2nd half.  Shawn hit one, and Grayson and Zjori each hit 4 long balls tonight!!!
[/quote]Well, of course Zjori hit 4 three's.  The roof at the Montagne is high enough not to interfere with his 3 pointers!  ;)

Scalp'em when HJ hits the long ball they can really cause teams trouble because they can finish inside as well.  I really thought it was a tale of two halfs.  HJ dominated the 1st half and PNG kept it close in the 2nd and had a chance to cut it to 7 one time.  Doty is a special player!!!!

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="968868" timestamp="1298140239"]
H-J is good, I don't see them getting put out for a while. Man, they can drain some 3's and with the big guys inside, they are going to give teams fits. They dominated PNG from the start and that was with rotating thier starters. I think the score could've been worse.
[/quote]Yeah, I think the 3's from the point guards are opening up a lot of opportunities for the team.  They are more dangerous now than they were earlier in the year.

With that being said, I still don't think they are quite as strong as they were in the recent 4 years.  No more than a notch lower, maybe, but they are still strong enough to go deep in the playoffs with the help of a couple of breaks in their favor.

1. Why didn't Prudhomme start?

2. HJ weakness is their lack of depth. I wasn't impressed with their bench.

3. HJ starting 5 is as good as any in the state in 3A I would bet. If they can keep shooting like that.

4. PNG is in big trouble if their starting post is out for Tuesday. He had stitches in his head at the game and didn't play. What happened?

H-J is pretty good.  I thought PN-G could have made this more of a game if Doty and #12 went all out from the opening tipoff.  They both were passive in the first quarter and let the Hawks dictate that tempo.  PN-G also had their chances late in the game but did things like get a key turnover and then turn the ball right back over to the Hawks or miss layups.  You will need to correct this against Crosby.  H-J have some special players.  The coach's son wouldn't miss a shot if  you would have paid him to.  This kid have a good looking stroke.  The PG from H-J may have been the best PG I've seen thus far this year.  Great dribbles...  Great vision...  Smart with the basketball...  and can score. 

PS...  I love the lob alley-oop at the end to Pruddhome (sp).

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="968868" timestamp="1298140239"]
H-J is good, I don't see them getting put out for a while. Man, they can drain some 3's and with the big guys inside, they are going to give teams fits. They dominated PNG from the start and that was with rotating thier starters. I think the score could've been worse.
[/quote]

Thanks scalpem.....We can only hope that they make a long run.....good luck to yall in the playoffs....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476