Since we are talking sources....

The money game with TCU is out, so they'll pay South Dakota $100K to get out of that game for a 6th home game that will net Lamar a few extra $100K and an easy win?  Are the applying the "Roc" school of scheduling to football?  Home games are good in general, but if this is true it then it sounds like they are more concerned with the bottom line than putting together a competitive schedule.

If that's true then they are conceding that they won't be playing for an at-large bid to the FCS playoffs.  But if Lamar accepts and invite to the WAC in the coming months then they'll be ineligible for the FCS playoffs anyways.

Guest ECBucFan
SFA has played SMU (almost won!) and T-A&M, and has Baylor and Texas Tech coming up, plus another game with SMU. McNeese is playing LSU. These might be tough losses, but ultimately, I believe it makes the program stronger. Helps recruitment, too, IMHO.

Pathetic?????  Come on coop. When tubbs came in and played a bunch of cup cakes it was for the purpose of "confidence building.". I talked with coach and he insisted on a sixth home game for fan purposes. Incarnate word was about all they could get. This is still a second year program people. We cannot yet compare ourselves to other Southland schools that have been playing football for 30 plus years.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="961485" timestamp="1296938529"]
SFA has played SMU (almost won!) and T-A&M, and has Baylor and Texas Tech coming up, plus another game with SMU. McNeese is playing LSU. These might be tough losses, but ultimately, I believe it makes the program stronger. Helps recruitment, too, IMHO.

[/quote]

LU has the big dogs scheduled, it's just hard to get them scheduled in the first couple of years.

Looks like the NCAA nixed the LU-TCU game:

[quote]Thanks to Texas Tech backing out on a game at TCU for the second consecutive year, and the Mountain West Conference recently shifting TCU’s scheduled home game against Boise State to Boise, the Horned Frogs are in a near panic over trying to find two home games at a late date.  Lamar had high hopes of filling  one of the slots in what would have been  a “money game” for the Cardinals. [b]The NCAA, however, delivered a puzzling ruling that Lamar didn’t have enough players on scholarship after two years to count as a legitimate game for TCU.[/b] What baffles LU coach Ray Woodard is that Georgia State had the same number of players on scholarship (57) after two years as Lamar and is being allowed to count on Houston’s 2011 schedule [/quote]

http://panews.com/sportsbobwest/x2072622676/Southeast-Texas-voting-turnout-helped-Charles

[quote name="coachacola" post="961704" timestamp="1296959568"]

[quote]Thanks to Texas Tech backing out on a game at TCU for the second consecutive year, and the Mountain West Conference recently shifting TCU’s scheduled home game against Boise State to Boise, the Horned Frogs are in a near panic over trying to find two home games at a late date.  Lamar had high hopes of filling  one of the slots in what would have been  a “money game” for the Cardinals. [b]The NCAA, however, delivered a puzzling ruling that Lamar didn’t have enough players on scholarship after two years to count as a legitimate game for TCU.[/b] What baffles LU coach Ray Woodard is that Georgia State had the same number of players on scholarship (57) after two years as Lamar and is being allowed to count on Houston’s 2011 schedule [/quote]

http://panews.com/sportsbobwest/x2072622676/Southeast-Texas-voting-turnout-helped-Charles
[/quote]

The NCAa loves Ga State for some reason. They've gotten a ton more Pub as a start up program than LU. ESPN the Mag cover, Sportscenter specials, etc... LU hasn't gotten any of that kinda love. The NCAA would look bad if they let them get all this pub and then won't let them play an FBS school.

[quote name="AJ25" post="961716" timestamp="1296960582"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=79853.msg961704#msg961704 date=1296959568]

[/quote]

The NCAa loves Ga State for some reason. They've gotten a ton more Pub as a start up program than LU. ESPN the Mag cover, Sportscenter specials, etc... LU hasn't gotten any of that kinda love. The NCAA would look bad if they let them get all this pub and then won't let them play an FBS school.
[/quote]

That sounds like the media loving them, not necessarily Georgia State. Didn't the two teams take different roads as far as "second year" programs?

If I'm not mistaken, y'all came in as FCS independents, while they came in as FCS transitional (??)

So maybe they mean 2nd year of FULL FCS status.

Lamar is a second year program. While I'm not thrilled about Incarnate Word on the schedule I would be more upset if it was 2 or 3 years down the road.

Lamar has 3 FBS opponents on the upcoming schedules. Hawaii, Okie State and A&M.

Like prior post and an article in the PA news stated the NCAA nixed the TCU game. Hardly Lamar's fault.

[quote name="Cards R Us" post="961801" timestamp="1296965303"]
Is anyone else as stunned as I am that there WON'T be a TCU vs Lamar game? 

....I hope nobody really bought into this...
[/quote]

It almost happened. It is not unusual for FCS schools to play big time FBS schools.

I believe the BMT Enterprise addressed how many were on scholarship on the football team after the recent Feb signing period and stated a couple more could be added in a recent article. I just can't find it. I'm sure coachacola or one of those guys knows the correct answer or will be able to find the article.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="962108" timestamp="1297035249"]
This seems to fall on Lamar if they got 'vetoed' by the NCAA... either that or Bob West does not understand how FCS works (would be no surprise)

The NCAA rules do no state 57 players, but equivalencies equaling 57 full rides...  being averaged over a two-year period.
[/quote]

By the way, you meant do not state, right?

[quote name="bigred360" post="962111" timestamp="1297035891"]
I believe the BMT Enterprise addressed how many were on scholarship on the football team after the recent Feb signing period and stated a couple more could be added in a recent article. I just can't find it. I'm sure coachacola or one of those guys knows the correct answer or will be able to find the article.
[/quote]

Here's the article:

[quote]Lamar played last season, its first since 1989, with 56 players on either full or partial athletic scholarship. That number now stands at 68 when factoring in the addition of seven college transfers signed in December, the addition of six players signed today and the subtraction of one scholarship player lost to graduation.[/quote]

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/02/02/lamar-football-to-end-day-with-six-new-players/

Lamar never planned on playing a FBS team in their 2nd year.  TCU is desperate for an opponent so Lamar tried to work a deal but things didn't quite work out.  Not sure why everyone's making a big deal about this because it would have been a blowout.  In exchange for losing out on a few $100K they don't get embarrassed, that doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="961462" timestamp="1296936645"]
One tells me the TCU-LU football game is dead in the water.

One tells me LU has dropped the road game with South Dakota & the home game against Incarnate Word is the replacement. If that's the case - THAT IS PATHETIC.
[/quote]

what y'all have against Incarnate Word?  y'all are sounding like the techsters talking about LU.  We are a second year program and we are "Too Good"?..

[quote name="puddin tane" post="962394" timestamp="1297102030"]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=79853.msg961462#msg961462 date=1296936645]
One tells me the TCU-LU football game is dead in the water.

One tells me LU has dropped the road game with South Dakota & the home game against Incarnate Word is the replacement. If that's the case - THAT IS PATHETIC.
[/quote]

what y'all have against Incarnate Word?  y'all are sounding like the techsters talking about LU.  We are a second year program and we are "Too Good"?..
[/quote]

Hoop has the right to his opinion but I agree puddin we are a second year program. Look around the country at all the games the Top 25 FBS programs play out of conference. I see no difference here.

Woodard just wanting a home win before SLC play begins.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124