Silsbee @ Hamshire Fannett

HFMom, as one who joked that the 50 point blowout was going to occur by half-time, I want to say, "You go, girl!".  Although the post was made in jest, I did assume a 40 point+ blow-out was in the making.  Its been a L-O-N-G time since HF could spell basketball, let alone play it. 

So, to all the Silsbee fans that cling to "A win is a win", that's not what was being said last night on this thread after the game. 

Aso, HF came out of this game with a whole lot more confidence than they've ever had. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="953034" timestamp="1295727658"]
Congrats only if HF gets into the playoffs, nothing more and definitely nothing less. HF is still o-3 in district. That's all that matters.
[/quote]

They will get there, Dove if you can somehow convince the "powers that be" that having a basketball player lift on game day will not change the win-loss column for that other sport next fall.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="953034" timestamp="1295727658"]
Congrats only if HF gets into the playoffs, nothing more and definitely nothing less. HF is still 1-2 in district. That's all that matters.

[/quote]It has been called to my attention that a clarification needs to be made about my statements regarding subbing. First of all, making subs is not the primary problem...knowing when to make the appropriate subs is the criticism. So, to somehow misconstrue that into that I am bashing kids is foolish. On every team, everybody has a role....some primary some not. What's key is to realize that and make it work to your advantage. In critical moments...you have to know who your GO TO people are. If people are going to choose to be on this site....you have got to have tough skin and not take things so personal and wear it on your sleeve. Basketball is not for the faint at heart:)

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="953181" timestamp="1295746772"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78903.msg953034#msg953034 date=1295727658]
Congrats only if HF gets into the playoffs, nothing more and definitely nothing less. HF is still 1-2 in district. That's all that matters.

[/quote]It has been called to my attention that a clarification needs to be made about my statements regarding subbing. First of all, making subs is not the primary problem...knowing when to make the appropriate subs is the criticism. So, to somehow misconstrue that into that I am bashing kids is foolish. On every team, everybody has a role....some primary some not. What's key is to realize that and make it work to your advantage. In critical moments...you have to know who your GO TO people are. If people are going to choose to be on this site....you have got to have tough skin and not take things so personal and wear it on your sleeve. Basketball is not for the faint at heart:)
[/quote]    Momma, as your team goes forward and continues to improve, you will find a number of people who will resent that success and will find indirect ways to minimize it or make a negative of it.  After HJ came close to beating Silsbee on their home court and then last night beat WOS substantially on their home court, the subject has become how weak HJs schedule is.  If you win three or four in a row, you may be in for a lot of irrelevant comments that, simply stated, reflect veiled envy.  They will come from some who perceive themselves as more enlightened/knowledgeable, and objective.  I believe you are entitled to your opinion and some believe you are entitled to your opinioin ONLY if it is not in direct conflict with the enlightened.  Looks like the Horns have a chance at a playoff spot- a worthy accomplishment considering the circumstances.  Hope it happens for you.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="953205" timestamp="1295751009"]
HJ with old weak schedule  :D
[/quote]

Yep- been battling that for years.  It seems as though many know more about the scheduling process than the staff that puts the schedule together.  As I said in another post, the staff decided that getting to the regional final four for, I think, about the last 6 or seven years in a row, combined with two trips to Austin and one state championship has convinced the staff that they needn't take the advice of other experts regarding scheduling.  Based on their results, it would ALMOST seem like the self perceived "evaluators" might want to reassess their "evalutations", but probably not.  Al Gore still swears he won the election.

[quote name="stevenash" post="953218" timestamp="1295752601"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78903.msg953205#msg953205 date=1295751009]
HJ with old weak schedule  :D
[/quote]

Yep- been battling that for years.  It seems as though many know more about the scheduling process than the staff that puts the schedule together.  As I said in another post, the staff decided that getting to the regional final four for, I think, about the last 6 or seven years in a row, combined with two trips to Austin and one state championship has convinced the staff that they needn't take the advice of other experts regarding scheduling.  Based on their results, it would ALMOST seem like the self perceived "evaluators" might want to reassess their "evalutations", but probably not.  Al Gore still swears he won the election.
[/quote]Couldn't have said it any better myself.

[quote name="hfmom08" post="953018" timestamp="1295725603"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=78903.msg952991#msg952991 date=1295720247]
I (hfmom) would be brave enough to say "If HF would stop coaching like it's Little Dribblers, we COULD handle Silsbee and anyone else in our district THIS YEAR"

that's a more ignorant statement than the predictions made that silsbee would blow out HF.  you're going to brag about a loss against silsbee who was without probably their 2nd best player and their head coach?  they also surely overlooked you guys.  your coach also played not to get blown out, rather than to win (according to BD).  HF may have an outside chance at the playoffs but they're still looking at at LEAST 6 losses in district this year, maybe 7 or 8.
[/quote]

Ignorance - A state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge). 

I have nothing to prove to you nor anyone else here but I would have to say you don't know me because I am not at all "uninformed" nor do I "lack knowledge" about the statement that I made and stand by. 
Again I say, I'm not beating any chests nor am I bragging about a loss but it seems to me that you are making excuses (silsbee being without "probably" their 2nd best player and their head coach) as most people do after their predictions don't pan out.  Your statement sounds a little "ignorant" because if you have to say "probably" then I would think that is falls under uninformed/lack of knowledge.  If you're so sure of yourself then you would know whether or not whomever you refer to as being the 2nd best player is really the 2nd best player. 
If you're going to quote BD then get it right...he stated "the HF staff played to lose and not make it a blowout".  HF staff needs to start "playing to WIN and not make it a blowout" and have confidence in the players they have.  I've been around these players much longer than the HF staff and I know (that's having knowledge) what talent HF has.

[/quote]

sorry i paraphrased that quote... quite ignorant of me to assume you'd understand.  and yes, i'll plead some ignorance as to the best players on silsbee's squad.  i know about them, but not well enough to say who's 2nd or 3rd best behind DC.  if i'm interpreting this statement correctly "I (hfmom) would be brave enough to say "If HF would stop coaching like it's Little Dribblers, we COULD handle Silsbee and anyone else in our district THIS YEAR" then you're saying essentially that HF would be at the top of this district with a different coaching staff.  you can say that that isn't an ignorant statement all you want, but you'd be wrong.  again, HF is certainly improved this year, but they're looking at 2 losses to silsbee, 2 to HJ, probably 2 to WOS, the loss you've already picked up against OF, and that's 7 if they win every other game.  Young Mr. Hunter makes a difference, but he's not going to make that big of a difference just yet.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="953240" timestamp="1295756421"]
Just for clarification, HJ has made the regional tourney 4 straight years, '07, '08, '09, '10, not 6 or 7. ;)
[/quote]

I stand corrected and retract my entire statement as only 4 years is insufficient data to support my contention.  I believe it is important to be as factual as possible and this was a glaring error.  I appreciate the fact that your statement was for clarification purposes only.  ;)

[quote name="bullets13" post="953250" timestamp="1295759456"]
[quote author=hfmom08 link=topic=78903.msg953018#msg953018 date=1295725603]
I (hfmom) would be brave enough to say "If HF would stop coaching like it's Little Dribblers, we COULD handle Silsbee and anyone else in our district THIS YEAR"

that's a more ignorant statement than the predictions made that silsbee would blow out HF.  you're going to brag about a loss against silsbee who was without probably their 2nd best player and their head coach?  they also surely overlooked you guys.  your coach also played not to get blown out, rather than to win (according to BD).  HF may have an outside chance at the playoffs but they're still looking at at LEAST 6 losses in district this year, maybe 7 or 8.
[/quote]

I have nothing to prove to you nor anyone else here but I would have to say you don't know me because I am not at all "uninformed" nor do I "lack knowledge" about the statement that I made and stand by. 
Again I say, I'm not beating any chests nor am I bragging about a loss but it seems to me that you are making excuses (silsbee being without "probably" their 2nd best player and their head coach) as most people do after their predictions don't pan out.  Your statement sounds a little "ignorant" because if you have to say "probably" then I would think that is falls under uninformed/lack of knowledge.  If you're so sure of yourself then you would know whether or not whomever you refer to as being the 2nd best player is really the 2nd best player. 
If you're going to quote BD then get it right...he stated "the HF staff played to lose and not make it a blowout".  HF staff needs to start "playing to WIN and not make it a blowout" and have confidence in the players they have.  I've been around these players much longer than the HF staff and I know (that's having knowledge) what talent HF has.

[/quote]

sorry i paraphrased that quote... quite ignorant of me to assume you'd understand.  and yes, i'll plead some ignorance as to the best players on silsbee's squad.  i know about them, but not well enough to say who's 2nd or 3rd best behind DC.   if i'm interpreting this statement correctly "I (hfmom) would be brave enough to say "If HF would stop coaching like it's Little Dribblers, we COULD handle Silsbee and anyone else in our district THIS YEAR" then you're saying essentially that HF would be at the top of this district with a different coaching staff.  you can say that that isn't an ignorant statement all you want, but you'd be wrong.  again, HF is certainly improved this year, but they're looking at 2 losses to silsbee, 2 to HJ, probably 2 to WOS, the loss you've already picked up against OF, and that's 7 if they win every other game.  [b]Young Mr. Hunter makes a difference, but he's not going to make that big of a difference just yet.
[/b]

[/quote]

He did not make any difference Friday night. All he did was foul, fouling out at the end of the 3rd, with just 2 points, 1 assist.

I agree. But the only real thing the HF PG did Friday night was put Silsbee at the free throw line. ;)

I have no doubt that the Hunter kid will be a good one, in due time. But, after he picked up a few fouls and turned it over 4 or 5 times, he got frustrated and really was no factor in the game. However, Smith and Martin really played well for HF.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="953320" timestamp="1295794888"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=78903.msg953250#msg953250 date=1295759456]

[/quote]

[/quote]

sorry i paraphrased that quote... quite ignorant of me to assume you'd understand.  and yes, i'll plead some ignorance as to the best players on silsbee's squad.  i know about them, but not well enough to say who's 2nd or 3rd best behind DC.   if i'm interpreting this statement correctly "I (hfmom) would be brave enough to say "If HF would stop coaching like it's Little Dribblers, we COULD handle Silsbee and anyone else in our district THIS YEAR" then you're saying essentially that HF would be at the top of this district with a different coaching staff.  you can say that that isn't an ignorant statement all you want, but you'd be wrong.  again, HF is certainly improved this year, but they're looking at 2 losses to silsbee, 2 to HJ, probably 2 to WOS, the loss you've already picked up against OF, and that's 7 if they win every other game.  [b]Young Mr. Hunter makes a difference, but he's not going to make that big of a difference just yet.
[/b]

[/quote]

He did not make any difference Friday night. All he did was foul, fouling out at the end of the 3rd, with just 2 points, 1 assist.
[/quote]Well..obviously this is personal. Now, after my investigation...the plan was for him not to have the ball. The plan was to have "Frenchie" handle the ball coming down the court-he's taller to see over the press..from what I was told. This is the ONLY game where J. Hunter has only scored 2pts and did not handle the ball! The ball was virtually designed to be out of his hands...believe me, I asked b/c I had never seen this b/4 in the 3 previous games. [b]Check the STATS Aggie [/b] since you have a [b]direct line [/b] to OUR books. Now if Aggie would give a little more media time to HF instead of running behind Silsbee all season, you would know first hand what he brings to this team in the 4 games he has played, not just from this one game. Now if you want a debate and possibly a fight about J. Hunter...then it's on! He works hard on the floor-100% constantly having to help out on defense when a man has been beaten. He is aggressive! Yes, I will not deny..he does foul....A LOT! So, Aggie, I invite you out more often and I surely invite you to OUR Stat Books and then maybe your reporting will be more crediable!

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="953364" timestamp="1295804326"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=78903.msg953320#msg953320 date=1295794888]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]Well..obviously this is personal. Now, after my investigation...the plan was for him not to have the ball. The plan was to have "Frenchie" handle the ball coming down the court-he's taller to see over the press..from what I was told. This is the ONLY game where J. Hunter has only scored 2pts and did not handle the ball! The ball was virtually designed to be out of his hands...believe me, I asked b/c I had never seen this b/4 in the 3 previous games. [b]Check the STATS Aggie [/b] since you have a [b]direct line [/b] to OUR books. Now if Aggie would give a little more media time to HF instead of running behind Silsbee all season, you would know first hand what he brings to this team in the 4 games he has played, not just from this one game. Now if you want a debate and possibly a fight about J. Hunter...then it's on! He works hard on the floor-100% constantly having to help out on defense when a man has been beaten. He is aggressive! Yes, I will not deny..he does foul....A LOT! So, Aggie, I invite you out more often and I surely invite you to OUR Stat Books and then maybe your reporting will be more crediable!
[/quote]  Mamma- I wouldn't be too concerned with others appraisals of Mr. Hunter.  Our(those of us who post on here) opinions are certainly not professional ones, so they are obviously VERY INsignificant.  In the minds of some, they seem significant, but when the rubber meets the road, they are really of little value.  I get the feeling that Mr. Hunter will be just fine and will, like any other high school basketball player, experience his share of ups and downs.  Another way to view all of this is that when you start improving and are perceived by others as a potential threat, the "chatter" increases.  So you might want to consider basking in the chatter, if you know what I mean.

[quote name="stevenash" post="953369" timestamp="1295804953"]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=78903.msg953364#msg953364 date=1295804326]

that's a more ignorant statement than the predictions made that silsbee would blow out HF.  you're going to brag about a loss against silsbee who was without probably their 2nd best player and their head coach?  they also surely overlooked you guys.  your coach also played not to get blown out, rather than to win (according to BD).  HF may have an outside chance at the playoffs but they're still looking at at LEAST 6 losses in district this year, maybe 7 or 8.
[/quote]

Again I say, I'm not beating any chests nor am I bragging about a loss but it seems to me that you are making excuses (silsbee being without "probably" their 2nd best player and their head coach) as most people do after their predictions don't pan out.  Your statement sounds a little "ignorant" because if you have to say "probably" then I would think that is falls under uninformed/lack of knowledge.  If you're so sure of yourself then you would know whether or not whomever you refer to as being the 2nd best player is really the 2nd best player.  
If you're going to quote BD then get it right...he stated "the HF staff played to lose and not make it a blowout".  HF staff needs to start "playing to WIN and not make it a blowout" and have confidence in the players they have.  I've been around these players much longer than the HF staff and I know (that's having knowledge) what talent HF has.

[/quote]

sorry i paraphrased that quote... quite ignorant of me to assume you'd understand.  and yes, i'll plead some ignorance as to the best players on silsbee's squad.  i know about them, but not well enough to say who's 2nd or 3rd best behind DC.   if i'm interpreting this statement correctly "I (hfmom) would be brave enough to say "If HF would stop coaching like it's Little Dribblers, we COULD handle Silsbee and anyone else in our district THIS YEAR" then you're saying essentially that HF would be at the top of this district with a different coaching staff.  you can say that that isn't an ignorant statement all you want, but you'd be wrong.  again, HF is certainly improved this year, but they're looking at 2 losses to silsbee, 2 to HJ, probably 2 to WOS, the loss you've already picked up against OF, and that's 7 if they win every other game.  [b]Young Mr. Hunter makes a difference, but he's not going to make that big of a difference just yet.
[/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]  Mamma- I wouldn't be too concerned with others appraisals of Mr. Hunter.  Our(those of us who post on here) opinions are certainly not professional ones, so they are obviously VERY INsignificant.  In the minds of some, they seem significant, but when the rubber meets the road, they are really of little value.  I get the feeling that Mr. Hunter will be just fine and will, like any other high school basketball player, experience his share of ups and downs.  Another way to view all of this is that when you start improving and are perceived by others as a potential threat, the "chatter" increases.  So you might want to consider basking in the chatter, if you know what I mean.
[/quote]Well, SN you are SO right. This was an assessment of one person from one game who has NEVER seen him play b/4. Those who have seen him play knows that he is usually very impactful. Now, on a lighter note Smith...(dont know who Martin is) did an awesome job! Smith started (and he has not been) and he showed that if you show a player that you believe in him and his abilities...that gesture will render sweet fruit for you. In my opinion...he should start.  Smith definitely showed how valuable he can be to his team.....ALL THUMBS DOWN TO AGGIE! :)

Who in their right mind would follow HF all season. Most parents who have kids that play for HF don't keep up with them. When is the last time they had a article in the paper or a news segment about HF. Aggie is from a winning school and he follows them. HF will be a winner in some sport here soon. Maybe not this year or next year but soon. Keep that hope alive with moral victories vs Silsbee. When they beat yall by 80 next game don't say I told you so.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="953386" timestamp="1295809282"]
Who in their right mind would follow HF all season. Most parents who have kids that play for HF don't keep up with them. When is the last time they had a article in the paper or a news segment about HF. Aggie is from a winning school and he follows them. HF will be a winner in some sport here soon. Maybe not this year or next year but soon. Keep that hope alive with moral victories vs Silsbee. When they beat yall by 80 next game don't say I told you so.
[/quote]ALL season? How about several games per season. If you don't even watch the team then you have NO business nor legitimacy on ANYTHING regarding HF. There was an article this past week and 2wks ago regarding HF..even a news story on two HF people in sports aired this past week on all the local news networks....[b]When are you people going to start checking your facts before [/b] [b]you letter a word on this forum?[/b] And to think, I have actually  encouraged a debate with you guys on this forum when you clearly are not skilled or informed enough to even engage in such a thing. So, go back to PO-DUNK and continue to be uninformed as you are now :)

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="953364" timestamp="1295804326"]

that's a more ignorant statement than the predictions made that silsbee would blow out HF.  you're going to brag about a loss against silsbee who was without probably their 2nd best player and their head coach?  they also surely overlooked you guys.  your coach also played not to get blown out, rather than to win (according to BD).  HF may have an outside chance at the playoffs but they're still looking at at LEAST 6 losses in district this year, maybe 7 or 8.
[/quote]

Again I say, I'm not beating any chests nor am I bragging about a loss but it seems to me that you are making excuses (silsbee being without "probably" their 2nd best player and their head coach) as most people do after their predictions don't pan out.  Your statement sounds a little "ignorant" because if you have to say "probably" then I would think that is falls under uninformed/lack of knowledge.  If you're so sure of yourself then you would know whether or not whomever you refer to as being the 2nd best player is really the 2nd best player.  
If you're going to quote BD then get it right...he stated "the HF staff played to lose and not make it a blowout".  HF staff needs to start "playing to WIN and not make it a blowout" and have confidence in the players they have.  I've been around these players much longer than the HF staff and I know (that's having knowledge) what talent HF has.

[/quote]

sorry i paraphrased that quote... quite ignorant of me to assume you'd understand.  and yes, i'll plead some ignorance as to the best players on silsbee's squad.  i know about them, but not well enough to say who's 2nd or 3rd best behind DC.   if i'm interpreting this statement correctly "I (hfmom) would be brave enough to say "If HF would stop coaching like it's Little Dribblers, we COULD handle Silsbee and anyone else in our district THIS YEAR" then you're saying essentially that HF would be at the top of this district with a different coaching staff.  you can say that that isn't an ignorant statement all you want, but you'd be wrong.  again, HF is certainly improved this year, but they're looking at 2 losses to silsbee, 2 to HJ, probably 2 to WOS, the loss you've already picked up against OF, and that's 7 if they win every other game.  [b]Young Mr. Hunter makes a difference, but he's not going to make that big of a difference just yet.
[/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Obviously, the only one that this is personal for is you! AAW, merely set out his stat line for Friday. Sorry if it wasn't that impressive.  And he set out his observations on what he saw Friday night.  How is that personal?

And why exactly should AAW be devoting media time into Hamshire-Fannett?  He is the voice of the Silsbee Tigers, he does football, basketball and (I believe) will do baseball.  Which means he crosses paths with Hamshire-Fannett 5 times all school year.  If you can line up the kind of sponsorship that he has, I am sure that the ownership of SETXsports.com would find a way to get the Longhorns on the air!

I am happy that we have the Hunter Fan Club President on the site, but don't get snippy if some folks decide not to join that fan club!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami