Commissioner says WAC has new members lined up

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="955181" timestamp="1296069679"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=78804.msg955173#msg955173 date=1296069279]
You want funny, go look at the La Tech boards and other schools in the WAC and Sun Belt, and see what they think about the idea of Lamar being on "their level."

It's kinda funny to think two of the worst conferences in FBS actually have enough pride  to actually look down on someone.
[/quote]

And the answer to that is everybody (well maybe not the Sammy St fans) thinks they are better than someone else, no matter what station in life they are at, unfortunately even us humble LU fans.  We have beaten and been beaten by La Tech.  They are not as high and mighty as they think!
[/quote]

Oh, I agree. I just think it's funny that the bottom rung teams are still under the impression that they're better than everybody else. La Tech should want Lamar and SHSU so they'll be able to get 2 more wins in football, which equates to a better chance at the Toilet Bowl.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="coachacola" post="955224" timestamp="1296074082"]
If there were an actual "Toilet Bowl" it would get better TV ratings than the FCS championship game!
[/quote]

I bet a of people turned in during the halftime of TAMU-LSU to watch one of the best FCS comebacks of the decade.

Can you name any of the teams that played in the early December games? I know I can't and they were on Primetime ESPN.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="955242" timestamp="1296076144"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78804.msg955224#msg955224 date=1296074082]
If there were an actual "Toilet Bowl" it would get better TV ratings than the FCS championship game!
[/quote]

I bet a of people turned in during the halftime of TAMU-LSU to watch one of the best FCS comebacks of the decade.

Can you name any of the teams that played in the early December games? I know I can't and they were on Primetime ESPN.
[/quote]

If the NCAA was serious about FCS-level football then they wouldn't have the championship game at the same time as a bowl game.  Also, having the championship game 3 weeks or whatever after the semi-finals didn't help matters.  It's not the Super Bowl, the hype doesn't build while waiting for the game.  If the NCAA made FCS-level football more relevant it could probably get a lot more attention than an all these low-level bowls and schools wouldn't be jumping at the opportunity to go FBS.

[quote name="coachacola" post="955246" timestamp="1296076626"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=78804.msg955242#msg955242
If the NCAA was serious about FCS-level football then they wouldn't have the championship game at the same time as a bowl game.  Also, having the championship game 3 weeks or whatever after the semi-finals didn't help matters.  It's not the Super Bowl, the hype doesn't build while waiting for the game.  If the NCAA made FCS-level football more relevant it could probably get a lot more attention than an all these low-level bowls and schools wouldn't be jumping at the opportunity to go FBS.
[/quote]

It's not the NCAA's fault, it's ESPN. They control whether a sport becomes popular or not, hell look at Bowling or WSOP. Those two "sports" get more coverage than any FCS football. If ESPN covered FCS football it would require them to hire analysts that actually know about the sport. Right now, they only get the ones that are knowledge about FBS.

I think there are plenty of NFL players from FCS schools to show that FCS programs can produce the talent, ESPN just doesn't care to cover it.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="955253" timestamp="1296077341"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78804.msg955246#msg955246 date=1296076626]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=78804.msg955242#msg955242
If the NCAA was serious about FCS-level football then they wouldn't have the championship game at the same time as a bowl game.  Also, having the championship game 3 weeks or whatever after the semi-finals didn't help matters.  It's not the Super Bowl, the hype doesn't build while waiting for the game.  If the NCAA made FCS-level football more relevant it could probably get a lot more attention than an all these low-level bowls and schools wouldn't be jumping at the opportunity to go FBS.
[/quote]

It's not the NCAA's fault, it's ESPN. They control whether a sport becomes popular or not, heck look at Bowling or WSOP. Those two "sports" get more coverage than any FCS football. If ESPN covered FCS football it would require them to hire analysts that actually know about the sport. Right now, they only get the ones that are knowledge about FBS.

I think there are plenty of NFL players from FCS schools to show that FCS programs can produce the talent, ESPN just doesn't care to cover it.
[/quote]

Your argument has some merit, but there is a "chicken and egg" issue here.   The NCAA could make it a condition of the TV agreement that the FCS gets more/better coverage in order to get to cover the FBS games.  They obviously don't value that level of football or they would do something different in the tv contract.  I think they have the ultimate leverage, at least for the time being.

The NCAA is loosing its leverage.  First Notre Dame was allowed to make its own deal with NBC several years back and just last week UT and ESPN announced a 20 year $300 million tv package.  Do you really think the big schools will allow the NCAA to undermine their revenue.  I think the UT - ESPN deal was in the works and when the talk was of the B-12 breaking up following Nebraska and Colorado's departure Texas wasn't willing to have to share this revenue potential to play in a different conference.

[quote name="geezer" post="955516" timestamp="1296100482"]
The NCAA is loosing its leverage.  First Notre Dame was allowed to make its own deal with NBC several years back and just last week UT and ESPN announced a 20 year $300 million tv package.  Do you really think the big schools will allow the NCAA to undermine their revenue.  I think the UT - ESPN deal was in the works and when the talk was of the B-12 breaking up following Nebraska and Colorado's departure Texas wasn't willing to have to share this revenue potential to play in a different conference.
[/quote]
Good post Geezer, and dead on.  ESPN controls just about everything related to college football.  NCAA, not so much, except for rules and statistics.  Just follow the money trail.

looked it up and Lamar is playing at Texas A&M on 9-8-12 and and at Hawaii 9-15-12.  Could be the start of a good schedule if Lamar joins WAC starting in 2012.  Put McNeese in there for the rivaly game and get 2 ULL, ULM or Rice type teams since you get the extra game for going to Hawaii and it would be good first year FBS schedule.

[quote name="Javelina" post="955572" timestamp="1296107434"]
looked it up and Lamar is playing at Texas A&M on 9-8-12 and and at Hawaii 9-15-12.  Could be the start of a good schedule if Lamar joins WAC starting in 2012.  Put McNeese in there for the rivaly game and get 2 ULL, ULM or Rice type teams since you get the extra game for going to Hawaii and it would be good first year FBS schedule.
[/quote]

i think its  hawaii in 2012, OSU in 2013, atm 2014?

beat the hel- outta tamu!!!  haha

Go Big Red

[quote name="JJWooten" post="955242" timestamp="1296076144"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78804.msg955224#msg955224 date=1296074082]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Come on JJ, you can't deny the "Toilet Bowl" still offers more recognition, nationally and regionally. More fans come to the game and more people watch the game on ESPN, regardless of if it's on a Tuesday night or not. Not too long ago, I came across last year's FCS National Championship Nielsen rating (UM-Villanova) and a couple of days later, Nielsen released their ratings for this year's bowl games. The FCS NC garnered a 1.3 rating. Notice that is lower than any of this year's bowl games..

[img]http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/9191620-large.jpg[/img]

And how many actually attended the NC game in Frisco? Wasn't it something like 13k? That's about what Texas State draws at a home game!

I don't know about this year's FCS championship game, but last year's game between Villanova and Appy State with a 1.52 rating.  That puts it near the bottom of bowl games.  This year's game probably had a lower rating than that.

[quote]The most-watched game in Football Championship Subdivision history – nearly 2 million households – was last year’s playoff semifinal between Montana and Appalachian State. The momentum from that produced a television rating of 1.52 a week later when Villanova beat the Grizzlies on ESPN for the national title – the biggest Nielsen number since the game moved from CBS to cable in 1994. [/quote]

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2010/dec/31/fcs-timing-slips-a-tick-or-two-for-eags/

But think about what your saying 360 and look at what I said, they match up. The FCS title game draws that rating and ESPN does basically NOTHING to promote FCS football or the title game, other than showing the game. Will it outdraw the TAMU-LSU, absolutely not.

ESPN markets the hell out of those bottom bowl games. They've got all the fantasy games online related to it, they've gone analysts spending countless hours before the game trying to figure out if MTSU will be Miami (Ohio).

[quote name="JJWooten" post="955955" timestamp="1296163459"]
But think about what your saying 360 and look at what I said, they match up. The FCS title game draws that rating and ESPN does basically NOTHING to promote FCS football or the title game, other than showing the game. Will it outdraw the TAMU-LSU, absolutely not.

ESPN markets the heck out of those bottom bowl games. They've got all the fantasy games online related to it, they've gone analysts spending countless hours before the game trying to figure out if MTSU will be Miami (Ohio).
[/quote]

Think about this. What is your probability of getting into a Bowl versus the FCS Championship game.

Each conference has at least one bowl if not two. That gives you a 1/12 at the least chance of being on TV year in and year out.

How many FCS teams are there? Over 100 surely, and only two make it to the championship. I would rather be in a Toilet Bowl (which gets replayed on ESPN countless times) rather than the FCS Championship.

There is no way you're going to convince anyone that the FCS championship game is worth as much as a lesser bowl.

[quote name="CardAmbassador" post="955991" timestamp="1296165836"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=78804.msg955955#msg955955 date=1296163459]

ESPN markets the heck out of those bottom bowl games. They've got all the fantasy games online related to it, they've gone analysts spending countless hours before the game trying to figure out if MTSU will be Miami (Ohio).
[/quote]

Think about this. What is your probability of getting into a Bowl versus the FCS Championship game.

Each conference has at least one bowl if not two. That gives you a 1/12 at the least chance of being on TV year in and year out.

How many FCS teams are there? Over 100 surely, and only two make it to the championship. I would rather be in a Toilet Bowl (which gets replayed on ESPN countless times) rather than the FCS Championship.

There is no way you're going to convince anyone that the FCS championship game is worth as much as a lesser bowl.
[/quote]

As it stands, you're right. It's worth much more. The problem is, FCS has only seemed to grow over the past couple years as more and more FCS teams upset the major programs.

Those bottom bowls will always be at the bottom, with half empty stadiums. There's no upside there.

Also, you're probabilities are WAY off. That 1/12 is assuming that each team in the conference is equal, and it's not.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="956037" timestamp="1296168577"]
[quote author=CardAmbassador link=topic=78804.msg955991#msg955991 date=1296165836]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=78804.msg955955#msg955955 date=1296163459]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As it stands, you're right. It's worth much more. The problem is, FCS has only seemed to grow over the past couple years as more and more FCS teams upset the major programs.

Those bottom bowls will always be at the bottom, with half empty stadiums. There's no upside there.

[b]Also, you're probabilities are WAY off. That 1/12 is assuming that each team in the conference is equal, and it's not. [/b]
[/quote]

I know but there is easy way to quantify the odds.

I'm just saying that in the end I'm sure the probability of us making a small bowl is better.

Lamar Football in 10 years:

SLC: might get a NC game but I wouldn't count on it.
WAC: If we can at least pay competitive salaries for our coaches much better opportunity for getting into a WAC Bowl. I think the WAC would at least have 2 bowls by then.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="956132" timestamp="1296179500"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78804.msg956082#msg956082 date=1296173867]
CardAmbassador, I agree it would be easier to get to a bowl game in a FBS conference than get to the FCS national championship game.
[/quote]
with all the bowl games, every tom,censored and harry goes
[/quote]

Well, half of them at least. Hell, Texas almost got in with a losing record. That baffles me. There are so many bowl game right now that they're running the risk of inviting losing programs.

[quote name="geezer" post="956141" timestamp="1296180094"]
That is why they need more bottom feeders in FBS.  One more thumping of an FBS bottom feeder and Texas would have had a winning record.
[/quote]

Very true. I guess with TSU and UTSA heading in, it'll be two easy, cheap thumpers

[quote name="puddin tane" post="956132" timestamp="1296179500"]
CardAmbassador, I agree it would be easier to get to a bowl game in a FBS conference than get to the FCS national championship game.
[/quote]
[/quote]

At least your program is getting some national exposure.  ;)

[quote name="bigred360" post="956435" timestamp="1296235504"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg956132#msg956132 date=1296179500]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea, Western Kentucky gets tons of national exposure, but I'm not sure it's what they really want.

At least I can say this was a magical football season in which I got to see WKU break their record for straight losses.

Oh, and FCS programs that that win against FBS programs get a good dose of national attention too.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="956441" timestamp="1296236027"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78804.msg956435#msg956435 date=1296235504]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg956132#msg956132 date=1296179500]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea, Western Kentucky gets tons of national exposure, but I'm not sure it's what they really want.

At least I can say this was a magical football season in which I got to see WKU break their record for straight losses.

Oh, and FCS programs that that win against FBS programs get a good dose of national attention too.
[/quote]

FCS schools beating FBS schools doesn't happen all that often. If so, please name 10 that happened all of last season.

I have no problem with SHSU staying FCS. It probably fits your program best.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124