Beaumont Central at Vidor Game Thread/Central wins/Comments

WOSgrad

Didn't make this game, but was at the last 2.... Vidor has key players that are not stepping it up..I don't find that the Coachs fault at all...can't help it if his players just can't finish...I think Vidor can win some of these games they just need to believe in themselves and stop making the little mistakes...Quit being a hater and look at the talent, but we all know Heart can win a ball game!!  Relax Vidor and get r dunn..

It was a sad effort on the Pirate's part.  I dont know what the exact numbers were, but I'd bet I'm close when I say that the Pirates shot about 35% from the field, on their home court.  No inside game, none, zero...they live and die by the outside jumpshot and tonight the shots didnt fall.  Central controlled just about every loose ball, too.  Poor choices on offense, players more interested in complaining about the refs than actually playing the game.  Got to hand it to Central, they are well coached, they shoot well, rebound, and just about every shot by the Pirates was contended.  No way the Pirates hang a banner this year.  It saddens me to watch the effort I saw tonight.  What the Pirates wouldnt give to have a big man who can score the ball, rebound the ball, and contest shots inside.  More to say, but just too depressed to write about it any longer.

Jaguars did pretty good tonight...  Mitchell, again did great things for us when he got the ball in the paint.  Great idea for him to start. PG, Frelow, penetrated all night to find the open man or finish at the cup.  Smith did good in spacing the floor with some early deep 3's.  I also loved the way some of our players were trying to get the midrange jumper going. Most important, coaching wasn't bad.  We got the lead late and went with the 'you have to come and get me offense'.  We exploited their lack of speed at this point... 

This Vidor team was good, but didn't look like a team with only 3 losses.  With the exception of only a few players (one with the mohawk that us Jag fans were calling 'Birdman' and the Williamson kid), this team is not very good or well coached.  This team did have thee height advantage though...

I just hope we can contnue to get these wins. At this point, we need all the wins we can get to make these playoffs...

I dont see the Pirate's coach as being the problem.  The plays are well designed....and I know he tries to motivate his players.  What I see is a lack of effort at times.  The game lasts for 32 minutes and the Pirates dont play for 32 minutes.  Again, there is a glaring weakness in the paint for the Pirates.  Looks to me like the JV post plays harder and stronger than the varsity kids who are much bigger and taller.  Maybe expectations were a bit too high for this Pirate team.  It is a team loaded with seniors, lots of good ball handlers, and some height in the middle.  But, this same team won only 15 games last year and it takes time to build a program, especially in Vidor.  The culture there is one of lose, lose, lose.  At some point, the culture has to change to getting the job done, paying the price in the off season to get bigger, stronger, faster, etc so that they win these games.  The team next year for the Pirates will be very young and inexperienced, so I hope that the coach schedules games much like he did this year.  Those kids will need to gain valuable experience before district play.  And, you dont get that experience by having your brains beaten in by teams that are far superior to you.  The team on the court this year has their backs completely against the wall now.  The question is, how will they respond....

Vidor was horribly tonight. Our point guard thought he was the only one on the court, our big man tried to take on five players in the paint all night long and fail, Williamson looked like he forgot where the basket is, and the Head Coach is clueless. The team lacks confidence, they lack an identity and they lack the basic basketball knowledge needed to win games against good teams.

Bottom lineis that Vidor is probably about the same level of team they have always been. The pre-season schedule simply covered up that fact. Vidor is who we thought they were.

Also, kind of makes a few guys on here seem a bit suspect with their basketball knowledge. Especially since some were spouting about how awesome vidor is after beating HF four times and a few of the catholic schools who clearly aren't on the 4a OR the 3a level.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami