WAC might replace Hawaii with Texas school

[quote name="UNLV" post="943117" timestamp="1294283015"]A weak WAC makes it easier for Lamar to get in a ESPN Bowl game.[/quote]

Not really... the WAC has lost almost every one of its bowl agreements. It will have one left with the remainder being secondary agreements.

[quote author=geezer link=topic=78316.msg943139#msg943139 date=1294286006]
In another thread Coachcola posted that the NCAA would determine in a few weeks if the WAC would keep its AQ to the BB tourney.  Based on what would they loose it.  Looking at the conference standings they currently have nine teams this year and even if they are loosing three they will be picking up two with TS-San Marc and UTSA.  There are already AQ conferences with eight teams.[/quote]

Based on the current rules, they would lose it...

This has some more on it... http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/25926271 ... and the general thought is it will not change.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="943190" timestamp="1294319726"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78316.msg943117#msg943117 date=1294283015]A weak WAC makes it easier for Lamar to get in a ESPN Bowl game.[/quote]

Not really... the WAC has lost almost every one of its bowl agreements. It will have one left with the remainder being secondary agreements.

In another thread Coachcola posted that the NCAA would determine in a few weeks if the WAC would keep its AQ to the BB tourney.  Based on what would they loose it.  Looking at the conference standings they currently have nine teams this year and even if they are loosing three they will be picking up two with TS-San Marc and UTSA.  There are already AQ conferences with eight teams.[/quote]

This has some more on it... http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/25926271 ... and the general thought is it will not change.
[/quote]

Lynn Hickey, the UTSA AD, is still on the committee so we'll see how much pull she has.  I would imagine Lamar would decline an invite it the WAC lost their auto-bid.  Since the meetings are next week we won't have to wait much longer on a decision.

[quote name="coachacola" post="943219" timestamp="1294323659"]Lynn Hickey, the UTSA AD, is still on the committee so we'll see how much pull she has.  I would imagine Lamar would decline an invite it the WAC lost their auto-bid.  Since the meetings are next week we won't have to wait much longer on a decision.[/quote]

The committee does not make the decision... the NCAA states that they committee makes the recommendation to a higher-up governing body...

My question is whether the committee submitted a favorable report to the higher-ups on the subject.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="943238" timestamp="1294324774"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78316.msg943219#msg943219 date=1294323659]Lynn Hickey, the UTSA AD, is still on the committee so we'll see how much pull she has.  I would imagine Lamar would decline an invite it the WAC lost their auto-bid.  Since the meetings are next week we won't have to wait much longer on a decision.[/quote]

The committee does not make the decision... the NCAA states that they committee makes the recommendation to a higher-up governing body...

My question is whether the committee submitted a favorable report to the higher-ups on the subject.

[/quote]

That's a good question.  I believe the original intent of this rule was for new conferences, not for existing conferences that are losing members.  But since it all boils down to money they may not mind taking away the auto-bid from the WAC to increase everybody's else slice of the pie.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="943110" timestamp="1294282450"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78316.msg943041#msg943041 date=1294273999]Go suck an egg Terror....lol.
[/quote]

So, where is Lamar going to play Arkansas? Are they going to play in Little Rock? Or perhaps in Jonesboro? It has to be on Arkansas turf - just ask Monroe about their home game...  :D

Waiting for you to own up to the fallacies of your previous statement...

Perhaps Lamar can play Florida State in Miami, Fla. and call it a home game.... ;)
[/quote]

He's alive!!!!! ;D

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="943110" timestamp="1294282450"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78316.msg943041#msg943041 date=1294273999]Go suck an egg Terror....lol.
[/quote]

So, where is Lamar going to play Arkansas? Are they going to play in Little Rock? Or perhaps in Jonesboro? It has to be on Arkansas turf - just ask Monroe about their home game...  :D

Waiting for you to own up to the fallacies of your previous statement...

Perhaps Lamar can play Florida State in Miami, Fla. and call it a home game.... ;)
[/quote]

Heck I would go to Reliant to see Lamar host Texas or A&M and I do not care if they are in the WAC or Southland I am glad Lamar has football back and will go and support them whatever they decide to do.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="943190" timestamp="1294319726"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78316.msg943117#msg943117 date=1294283015]A weak WAC makes it easier for Lamar to get in a ESPN Bowl game.[/quote]

In another thread Coachcola posted that the NCAA would determine in a few weeks if the WAC would keep its AQ to the BB tourney.  Based on what would they loose it.  Looking at the conference standings they currently have nine teams this year and even if they are loosing three they will be picking up two with TS-San Marc and UTSA.  There are already AQ conferences with eight teams.[/quote]

[/quote]

How many Bowl agreements does the SLC have? The SLC is sinking as it is only going to get worse and SHSU can sit back and watch it unfold or start looking at other options.

Lynn Hickey and UTSA, nor the leadership at Texas State would not have left the SLC for a league that isn't going to keep a AQ into the NCAA basketball tournament.

If you were hearing rumors of the WAC losing it's bid to the NCAA tournament from WAC member schools that are staying I would be a little more concerned.

The worse thing for Lamar is the WAC loses their bid and we stay in the SLC. Never have understood why you worry so much about what is going on in Beaumont and Lamar University.

besides a possible bowl game on espn 2 in front of 11,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium...

what is a benefit of joining the wac?  a bunch of teams, far away, that people in se texas could care less about.

its the worst FBS conference in the nation...why is it soooo much better than the southland?

[quote name="puddin tane" post="943339" timestamp="1294332836"]
besides a possible bowl game on espn 2 in front of 11,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium...

what is a benefit of joining the wac?  a bunch of teams, far away, that people in se texas could care less about.

its the worst FBS conference in the nation...why is it soooo much better than the southland?

[/quote]

More exposure, more respect, ability to schedule home football games against Sun Belt, CUSA, MWC, and other FBS conference schools, more money, etc.  Outside of McNeese, SFA and SHSU, does SETX really care about the SLC?  How about the prospect of more D2 schools moving up to the SLC to play Lamar?  I'm not sure the gets everyone in SETX excited!

what is a benefit of joining the wac?  a bunch of teams, far away, that people in se texas could care less about.

[/quote]

More money to play at other FBS schools. More national attention than the SLC. Have you read what sports writers are saying about the SLC after Mike James record breaking game? All of them don't have a very high opinion of the SLC. Other FBS schools would be willing to travel to Beaumont. I'm not talking about the Top 50 programs. However, it is possible to get UH, UNT, UTEP, Rice, ULL, UL-Monroe, Arkansas State and so on.

The SLC is dying. I don't hate the SLC and if we stay I'm cool with that for the moment.  

[/quote]What happens in June when Louisiana schools must cut 30% of their budgets? Stick our heads in the sand?

PS. Don't listen to Terror. WAC will not lose it's bid.

[quote name="bigred360" post="943349" timestamp="1294333388"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78316.msg943339#msg943339 date=1294332836]

[/quote]

More money to play at other FBS schools. More national attention than the SLC. Have you read what sports writers are saying about the SLC after Mike James record breaking game? All of them don't have a very high opinion of the SLC. Other FBS schools would be willing to travel to Beaumont. I'm not talking about the Top 50 programs. However, it is possible to get UH, UNT, UTEP, Rice, ULL, UL-Monroe, Arkansas State and so on.

The SLC is dieing. I don't hate the SLC and if we stay I'm cool with that for the moment.  
[/quote]

the same national attention idaho, new mex st and denver get?  quick...name their mascots..

RESPECT?  The teams that havent left the WAC are doormats...yall actually think utah st + idaho + new mex st would outdraw mcneese,sam, and stephen f?

[quote name="puddin tane" post="943398" timestamp="1294338806"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78316.msg943349#msg943349 date=1294333388]

[/quote]

The SLC is dieing. I don't hate the SLC and if we stay I'm cool with that for the moment.  
[/quote]

the same national attention idaho, new mex st and denver get?  quick...name their mascots..

RESPECT?  The teams that havent left the WAC are doormats...yall actually think utah st + idaho + new mex st would outdraw mcneese,sam, and stephen f?
[/quote]

You're not getting it. Outside of McNeese, Sam, and SFA, who else would draw in BMT? No one else in the SLC. Yes, LU would have to hose Utah St, Idaho, New Mex St, etc... But they also will be able to host other [b]FBS[/b] schools. If you want to keep playing Webber Int, OPSU, etc... Stay in the Southland. The bigger and better schools wait on the other side..

[quote name="AJ25" post="943412" timestamp="1294340685"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78316.msg943398#msg943398 date=1294338806]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78316.msg943349#msg943349 date=1294333388]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You're not getting it. Outside of McNeese, Sam, and SFA, who else would draw in BMT? No one else in the SLC. Yes, LU would have to hose Utah St, Idaho, New Mex St, etc... But they also will be able to host other [b]FBS[/b] schools. If you want to keep playing Webber Int, OPSU, etc... Stay in the Southland. The bigger and better schools wait on the other side..
[/quote]

He ain't going to get it either.  Save your breath when it comes to Puddin.

Idaho is the Vandals.  Mark Schlereth was a Vandal.

New Mexico State is the Aggies.  Nothing I like better than beating Aggies.

I don't recall the mascot for Denver.  But quick - name the mascots for Webber International, Oklahoma Panhandle State and Langston?

first it's an argument for not moving up when Tx St and UTSA did and now it's an argument cause it could be the WAC????  What conference should Lamar join for all that do not want the WAC?  Big 12, Big East, C-USA???  we could always go back to the Lone Star Conference!!!!

If this is the remaining WAC football playing schools, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio, San Jose State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, Utah State then these seven conference games plus four non-conference games which could include series with McNeese, ULL and SFA would make a reasonably good fan draw potential I would believe.  And definately better than the Southland.  Outside of McNeese rivalary game how well does the remaining SLC fans travel.  If the goal is to fill the stadium with local fans I'll definately would rather play in the WAC.

Also, consider the change in academic standing of your peers

[u]WAC[/u]
Texas State
Texas - San Antonio
Utah State
Denver
San Jose State
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State

[u]Southland[/u]
Nicholls State
Northwestern State
McNeese State
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin State
Central Arkansas
Southeastern LA
Texas - Arlington
Texas A&M - CC

This is total speculation but I do believe Dr. Simmons and Coach Tidwell haven't talked to anyone from the WAC...but whose to say the special assistant ( Coach Tubbs) hasnt been in close contact?. I think Dr. Simmons may have slipped when he said something like "until they make a definitive offer"..if no talks at all then it would be no type of offer...I will continue to keep my fingers crossed, but it does feel we are getting closer.

read and educate yourselves on the WAC..automatic bids, etc...

http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/11/21/wac-danger-life-support

http://college-basketball-bracketology.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26191645/26359986

joining for the sake of joining aint the answer...neither is the wac

but let's forget for a moment the WAC is in trouble (google [b]"WAC in danger"...[/b]atendance-sucks

"big FBS schools will come to Beaumont...."  who did the remaining WAC schools get to come to their place?

SJSU?-- uc davis and so utah
Idaho? N Dakota and UNLV
New mex? San Diego St.

i am not against a FBS move , but the WAC has no potential rivalry with lamar..whos been to utah or idaho?  we need to stay on this side of the US...sooner or later, we hook up with the sunbelt..or whatever its named after it re-organizes..one or both of the florida schools will bolt soon

don't drink the WAC kool-aide

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder