Dont Assume Johnson Will Start

KFDM COOP

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="937710" timestamp="1293079397"]
There will be comp, but I still expect JJ to win the spot. He has the spring and training camp to get the job done.
[/quote]

I agree, I think his dual threat capabilites will open up the offense and if the O-line improves I think Lamar puls out 6 wins.

We still have a few scholarships for the Feb. signing period and if we get some DL help that will make us a better team.

Since Hall didn't get in school maybe sign another RB if the coaching staff doesn't think Hall can get into Lamar by the fall semester. Or he signs with a DII school.

[quote name="HardHitter" post="938901" timestamp="1293538605"]
I think that if the coaches really pay attention it will be Prewitt at QB....He has good mechanics and progresses through his reads....Maybe us JJ in the wildcat....We'll see....last time I saw JJ was in high school in his senior year and [b]he did not complete many passes[/b]..
[/quote]

Here is JJ's stats from his senior year and career:

Senior season

rushing  169/850 yards  15 TD's

passing  138-241, 57%-2,291 yards  19 TD's

total offense    3,141 yards  34 TD's

Career (3 seasons, 33 games)

rushing  2,362 yards  31 TD's

passing  6,040 yards  53 TD's

total  8,402 yards  84 TD's

Jeremy finishes as the all-time leader at Silsbee in several categories:

passing attempts, completions, passing yardage, passing touchdowns, total offensive yards, and total touchdowns.

Congrats Jeremy on a fabulous high school career! Now on to the next level.

AggiesAreWe, you aren't going to change a few of these guys mind even with all the scout reports, recruiting services, college recruiters, video and stats. I bet even when Johnson wins the QB competition this spring and summer they will be calling out Whitten and Woodard as making a mistake.  ::)

[quote name="AJ25" post="939060" timestamp="1293563902"]
Prewitt will play regardless, even if JJ wins the spot at QB. Prewitt wants to be on the field.. I'm assuming he'd move over to receiver and work to get reps there. From what I hear, he is a great worker.
[/quote]

Agree and have stated it several times that Prewitt will play somewhere. WR, DB as he is a leader and hard worker. May need to get a little faster to play WR or DB but he'll put in the work to make it happen.

[quote name="AJ25" post="939060" timestamp="1293563902"]
Prewitt will play regardless, even if JJ wins the spot at QB. Prewitt wants to be on the field.. I'm assuming he'd move over to receiver and work to get reps there. From what I hear, he is a great worker.
[/quote]

I agree but he will not be playing QB!

Just a quick question.. Looking at how well the team rallied around Prewitt and how well he did...

What do you do if Johnson is slightly better than Prewitt and it better in the ground game, but JJ is also

A) The best receiver on the team
B) The best running back on the team

Do you keep JJ at QB and make Prewitt move.. Or keep already established Prewitt at QB and let JJ excel and the help the team greatly in that area.

Jeremy Johnson has never played WR that I'm aware of and that is probably our strongest unit on the team. 1. J.J. Hayes, 2. Marcus Jackson 3. Kendrick Prejean 4. Barry Ford 5. Josh Powdrill 6. Donte Lopez 7. Andre Bevil 8. Brent Walters.

Then JJ is 6-2, 175 lbs so that is kind of thin even at the FCS level. If he were to gain 15 pounds between now and September I could see him as a RB but just because he gained a lot of yards running out of the QB position doesn't mean he can read blocks take the pounding every play and excel at the RB position at the college level.

There are a lot of "if's" here but if somehow he was the best RB on the team after spring and summer drills and the competition is close between himself and Prewitt at the QB positon.

I would leave him at RB. However, personally I don't see than happening.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="939139" timestamp="1293578325"]
AAW, a 57% completion rate as a senior is not too impressive.
[/quote]

There's a lot that can go into that at the HS level. Chances are, there were 2 or 3 drops a game by his receivers. Not saying they did or didn't, but those happen pretty frequently at the HS level compared to the college level which would bring that percentage down.

And I'm not saying he'd be good at either position, just spit balling and ''what-ifing.'' Either way, LU is better off this season than last, and will be solid contenders in the slc.

good comment, JJ. Jeremy looks like a real talent. Lamar's receivers are a different world than Silsbee's receivers. Not only does he have great running ability but I have seen him make great throws under pressure. One thing I love about him is he puts great touch on the ball which is a very underrated attribute.

EPG

I don't know that I would give a position out during Spring/Two a days...the game speed and the fact that Prewit has already won at this level, would keep me from making the change...I really don't care what was done in high school...I think he'll probably leave again(IMO)...unless he was truly home sick. 

JJ, im sure would be a fine QB...I would see him in a back up role or maybe in some situational plays(this year), but Prewit has the confidence of this team  and for as young as this program is...everything helps.  I would even put JJ in as a wide receiver...KR, PR...but until the TEAM stops believing in Prewit, JJ will have to learn to be patient.

But sadly, Prewit will be on thin ice all season, there won't be any room for mistakes....We'll have to see how he handles that pressure...Remember, your always one play away from going in the game...be patient JJ your time will come.

[quote name="AJ25" post="939157" timestamp="1293581506"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=77914.msg939139#msg939139 date=1293578325]
AAW, a 57% completion rate as a senior is not too impressive.
[/quote]

[b]There's a lot that can go into that at the HS level. Chances are, there were 2 or 3 drops a game by his receivers. Not saying they did or didn't, but those happen pretty frequently at the HS level compared to the college level which would bring that percentage down. [/b]

And I'm not saying he'd be good at either position, just spit balling and ''what-ifing.'' Either way, LU is better off this season than last, and will be solid contenders in the slc.
[/quote]
Despite the mathematical question of....how much would 2 or 3 catches help 57%....I still like JJ as a QB, but think he can help LAMAR as a back up(today), on special teams, and yes at WR.

again, still say this team is prewits

[quote name="Javelina" post="941392" timestamp="1294067674"]
Why was JJ good enough to be recruited by West Virginia as a QB but alot of people want him to change positions at Lamar ???
[/quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Top 10 dual threat QB in the country fellas.  WVU and rivals have forgotten more about football that we all know.  It's a matter of time whether you people want to accept it or not.

I will also state this as I have before.  Prewitt played well but they beat Mary Mother of the Blinde and a couple more just like them.  You guys act like he knocked off SFA or something.  Come on fellas.

And as you are talking about Johnsons 57% completion percentage lets look at Prewitts stats in the last game he played against quite possibly the worst team to ever walk in to a Lamar football stadium.  10-20 for 137 yards.  WOW.........that is going to win us alot of Conference championships.  Prewitt is clearly a great kid and I love what he did last year in Lamars first year but Johnson is just flat out on another level.

Prewitt was 62% on the year by the way.

WVU wasn't the only school that recruited JJ for QB. Baylor, Michigan, Kentucky, TCU, along with many others wanted Jeremy at QB. I understand that Briles is still wanting JJ at Baylor to be his next QB. ;)

Sleepy, like you said, I'll take those guys knowledge over these wannabee's on here. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder

• What is Biden putting them through? 401ks are rocking. Everybody that wants a job has one. Wages are up. No wars.ย  ย  And a POTUS they donโ€™t hate.ย  ย  Trump does a great job of motivating his base. But he does an even better job of motivating THE OTHER GUYโ€™S base. There arenโ€™t going to be millions of people saying โ€œyou know, I voted Biden last time because I was sick of trumpโ€ฆ. And since Trump left, everything has gotten better. I think Iโ€™ll vote for Trump next time. He doesnโ€™t bother me as badly as he used to.โ€ I fact, I doubt that there are any.ย  ย  Biden wonโ€™t drive people to the polls to vote Biden. Heโ€™s a horrible candidate. But Trump motivates MILLIONS to get out and vote โ€œanybody but Trump.โ€ ย Thatโ€™s just facts, and no amount of mean tweets is gonna fix that for Trump.
    • Not my first one, which has yet to be addressed. MAGA appears to support a Communist dictator while accusing the Democratic Party of turning America Communist. Itโ€™s either misdirection or bait-and-switch, both tactics losers fall for.
    • I think Franklin would be the considered the favorite based off ranking and record. I think most would agree we prefer being the underdogs anyway. Orangefield has played much better since getting everyone back however, and I think it should be a good matchup. ย It will be a fun series, with a chance to go to state on the line!ย 
    • And your post wasnโ€™t snark? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    • So whatโ€™s the writing on the wall, Trumpโ€™s huge crowds, polls showing him leading, maybe youโ€™re referring to the dismal job this administration is doing but no one will care. No, youโ€™re writing on the wall is 2020 and you canโ€™t seem to comprehend that folks may be tired of what this administration is putting them through. But we do know youโ€™re a guy that canโ€™t seem to deal with the current state of affairs and stays in perennial armchair quarterback mode.
  • Topics