TASCO Pre-Season Rankings

weasel

Nederland # 9 in the region and PNG out of top 10. If I remember right PNG had a better season last year and made a deeper playoff run. PNG has lots of players back and they should be in the top 10 not nederland. So whoever put this list together needs to get out and watch some games for change for a change.

[quote name="texasrm25" post="934709" timestamp="1292599175"]
Nederland # 9 in the region and PNG out of top 10. If I remember right PNG had a better season last year and made a deeper playoff run. PNG has lots of players back and they should be in the top 10 not nederland. So whoever put this list together needs to get out and watch some games for change for a change.
[/quote]How dare those people put Nederland ahead of PNG. ::)

As with most rankings, its all about who you know and who is doing the voting. Schools get looked over each and every year because John Doe's buddy votes for his friends school rather than the best team. For instance......Lumberton girls have adavnced deep into the playoffs the last several years...are they ranked?NOPE!! Even though they return all but two or three girls from a team who lost 2-1 to Waco Midway last year.

Rankings are WORTHLESS IMO, all that matters is the ranking at the end of the season!

And Nederland beat Friendswood last year who is ranked ahead of them this year. Nederland also had a very close loss to last years number 4 team in the state, Boerne Champion. Nederland also has won twice, tied once, and lost once to last years state runner up, Kingwood Park in the last 4 years. Last year Nederland V PNG the record was 1-1 against eachother. PNG almost lost against Central there final game which would have gave up their COdistrict championship to Nederland which Nederland had beaten Central (5-1?) the week before. PNG had the first seed going into the playoffs so I would expect them to have a better chance. I got all these facts from the message board last year. If you want to throw numbers into the rankings then there they are. The rankings are good for nothing but these types of arguments. Until PNG starts contesting other top ranked teams then they won't be in the rankings and that is all there is to it. The rankings are voted on by the coaches around the state. Nederlands coach if I remember correctly has been there for 1 year while PNGs coach has been there longer than that. If coaches were to vote for their "friends" team I would suspect that PNG would have the advantage there due to Sandell being in the high school soccer mix for longer. Nederland also is of course going to get the benefit of the doubt based on the success of their program. When I played at WOS, Nederland was a STATE powerhouse and teams earn respect like that, and that respect doesn't just vanish. Is it completely fair? Not entirely. Does it mean anything at all? No. Is it good to light a fire under players, fans, and coaches? Definitely. Cheers

Wow, i guess nobody voted for the region III girls so they just pulled some names and threw them up there.  At least they got the top three right.  4 should be PNG who could very possibly defeat Brenham this year.  After that it should be KP, Lumb, Santa Fe, Foster, ?, and ?.  And who is Stratford?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Newbie
[quote name="sharkstooth" post="942652" timestamp="1294237201"]
PNG GIRLS ranked #7 defeats #6 Goose Creek Memorial 8-1!  May be better than the #7 ranking they were given?
[/quote]
Congrats, I  think.  You do know this was a scrimmage though right?  Most coaches use these to test out new ideas and see what works for their team.  I have no doubt the Lady Indians will do well but don't brush off GC Memorial just yet.  They'll do just fine.....

[quote name="Newbie" post="943033" timestamp="1294273564"]
[quote author=sharkstooth link=topic=77661.msg942652#msg942652 date=1294237201]
PNG GIRLS ranked #7 defeats #6 Goose Creek Memorial 8-1!  May be better than the #7 ranking they were given?
[/quote]
Congrats, I  think.  You do know this was a scrimmage though right?  Most coaches use these to test out new ideas and see what works for their team.  I have no doubt the Lady Indians will do well but don't brush off GC Memorial just yet.  They'll do just fine.....
[/quote]

PNG beat #4 ranked Angleton today 4-1. I agree, there's a possibility they may be better than the #7 ranking they were given.

Great Start for the Lady Indians...even if they are "scrimmages"  They have outscored their opposition 16-2.  With two of their opponets being ranked in front of them pre-season.  I thought that the rankings were once again a HOUSTON popularity vote...and that the Lady Indians deserved to be #4 behind Brenham!  They have already earned that respect in week 1...Cant wait for the rest of the year....

[quote name="sharkstooth" post="945251" timestamp="1294621626"]
I thought that the rankings were once again a HOUSTON popularity vote...and that the Lady Indians deserved to be #4 behind Brenham!  They have already earned that respect in week 1...Cant wait for the rest of the year....
[/quote]

babyteeth, you are gonna be fun to pick on come March. 

First, Midway is not a Houston team.  Nor is Friendwood or Brenham.  So, why would you say its a HOUSTON popularity vote.

Second, when was the last time a SETX girls team did anything to deserve respect. 

Third, PNG has had some okay scrimmage results against some okay teams, but there are at least 6 teams in the Region that are way better than you injuns. 

Fourth, beating GCM and Angleton does not earn you the respect you are craving.

Ha...I was wondering what it was going to take to get you back FF?  I simply have stated that the girls are off to a good start! The popularity comment was soley due to the fact I felt the Lady Indians deserved to be ranked #4 behind the Big Three.  After last years loss to Brenham in 2OT and 90 percent of the team returning; feel this could be their year to shake it up! Welcome back and good luck to Friendswood this year!  By the way...how did the girls fare against Brenham; Midway and A&M Consolidated this weekend?

[quote name="sharkstooth" post="945354" timestamp="1294669886"]
Ha...I was wondering what it was going to take to get you back FF?  I simply have stated that the girls are off to a good start! The popularity comment was soley due to the fact I felt the Lady Indians deserved to be ranked #4 behind the Big Three.  After last years loss to Brenham in 2OT and 90 percent of the team returning; feel this could be their year to shake it up! Welcome back and good luck to Friendswood this year!  By the way...how did the girls fare against Brenham; Midway and A&M Consolidated this weekend?
[/quote]

he's been online, but not on here gloating, so i'm kind of curious myself as to how they did.  i couldn't find anything online.

Bullethead, you are way too paranoid.  ;D

Since I did not get to make it to the [i]scrimmages[/i], I did not have much to report.  What I can tell you is what I heard; which is that Freindswood "won" both scrimmages, both in terms of score and control of the play.  That is hardly surprising -- Friendswood has way more talent than both of those schools combined.

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="948732" timestamp="1295099715"]
Bullethead, you are way too paranoid.   ;D

Since I did not get to make it to the [i]scrimmages[/i], I did not have much to report.  What I can tell you is what I heard; which is that Freindswood "won" both scrimmages, both in terms of score and control of the play.  That is hardly surprising -- Friendswood has way more talent than both of those schools combined.

[/quote]
And how did they fare this weekend against Pasadena Memorial at the Friendswood Invitational?  Just sayin......

[quote name="Newbie" post="949180" timestamp="1295155307"]
[quote author=FriendswoodFan link=topic=77661.msg948732#msg948732 date=1295099715]
Bullethead, you are way too paranoid.   ;D

Since I did not get to make it to the [i]scrimmages[/i], I did not have much to report.  What I can tell you is what I heard; which is that Freindswood "won" both scrimmages, both in terms of score and control of the play.  That is hardly surprising -- Friendswood has way more talent than both of those schools combined.

[/quote]
And how did they fare this weekend against Pasadena Memorial at the Friendswood Invitational?  Just sayin......
[/quote]

As hard as it is to do, it's always better to think before sayin Newbie....

The Lady Mustangs did not play Pasadena Memorial, and did not play in the Friendswood Invitational.  Just sayin.... ;D

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="949253" timestamp="1295193524"]
[quote author=Newbie link=topic=77661.msg949180#msg949180 date=1295155307]
[quote author=FriendswoodFan link=topic=77661.msg948732#msg948732 date=1295099715]
Bullethead, you are way too paranoid.   ;D

Since I did not get to make it to the [i]scrimmages[/i], I did not have much to report.  What I can tell you is what I heard; which is that Freindswood "won" both scrimmages, both in terms of score and control of the play.  That is hardly surprising -- Friendswood has way more talent than both of those schools combined.

[/quote]
And how did they fare this weekend against Pasadena Memorial at the Friendswood Invitational?  Just sayin......
[/quote]

As hard as it is to do, it's always better to think before sayin Newbie....

The Lady Mustangs did not play Pasadena Memorial, and did not play in the Friendswood Invitational.  Just sayin.... ;D

[/quote]The boys did.  As them how they fared.  Just sayin..... :P

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    assfff
    Newest Member
    assfff