Sabine Pass????

[quote name="whsalum" post="907809" timestamp="1289696932"]
I still stick to my guns about being a super star.Just because you transfer to a smaller school doesn't make you a super star.Your skill level will determine how much recognition you get.You may get more playing time at a small school but if you don't have the skills you will just be an average player.How many times should you let a kid transfer for more playing time? There are no guarantees he is going to get anymore playing time, what then?The UIL does a good job of attempting to keep folks honest which is what they are there to do.If a player has the skill to play college ball he will get some opportunities,the size of the opportunity will be directly related to the level of skill.
[/quote]Good points!

[quote name="True Blue" post="907876" timestamp="1289699193"]
Here is my take... The Point Guard for Spuger is the best in 1a and will get plenty of exposure by making the playoff in 1a.. If he was to play at HJ, Silsbee, WOS, he would not be the starter, so playing at the smaller school is in his favor. But maybe super star is not the wright word, but playing at the small schools is still playing and not setting the bench.
[/quote]TB, I'm sure you have some good reason for your beliefs but here is my take. But first, I have to admit I am a little bias against schools less than4-A in reference to exposure. But I do agree that if you are good, they will find you some kind of way. Anyway, that same kid in 1-A will be competing against the kids from 5-A and 4-A schools. And the majority will not be big D-1 material. Which means schools like Lamar will be going after a few kids who have made a name for themselves from 5 and 4-A. That kid may be good for Spurger (sp?) but his skill level probably won't match up against the hundred of other kids at the same position and who have made a name for themselves and with a higher skill set.

True the more you talk the more I realize how little you know about college basketball or basketball in general.First of all the McGallion kid has a very good skill set and would be able to play at the 3a level.That being said he has a few things that would hurt him playing any college ball, the biggest being size.You seem to think Jr colleges are for less talented players which is not true, it usually is for players who have issues becoming eligible or various parts of their game they need to work on.There were some very good high school players in the area last year and not many were mid major players much less D1 prospects.If you have players transferring for exposure in their senior season they probably aren't gonna be playing college ball.

[quote name="True Blue" post="908157" timestamp="1289705430"]
You make great points But if you are sitting the bench not even a Jr collage will get to see them. And yea the kids skill are prob. not as good as the kids in the 3a or 4a teams But if he takes his team to the state game He will get some attention from at lease a Jr collage.  
[/quote]Okay, that was my thinking. A JUCO will take a look at the players. Very good. I think you're the dad who was running into what I call, " playing little Johnny," as others call it,  player favor-ism. ;)

[quote name="no-look" post="907923" timestamp="1289701314"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=75999.msg907809#msg907809 date=1289696932]
I still stick to my guns about being a super star.Just because you transfer to a smaller school doesn't make you a super star.Your skill level will determine how much recognition you get.You may get more playing time at a small school but if you don't have the skills you will just be an average player.How many times should you let a kid transfer for more playing time? There are no guarantees he is going to get anymore playing time, what then?The UIL does a good job of attempting to keep folks honest which is what they are there to do.If a player has the skill to play college ball he will get some opportunities,the size of the opportunity will be directly related to the level of skill.
[/quote] wh, if you decide to run for office, I will vote for you.....
[/quote]I'm gonna take that as a compliment LOL, but I'm not sure it would be these days :)

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="908239" timestamp="1289707173"]
You guys are missing the boat on this one.........True Blue knows all about transfer rules!!!!  He has done it three times in three years!!!! ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]You know that you realy need to get over were my son played and is playing this year. But I do hope you have as much to say face to face when we get to the HJ tournement.  ;)

[quote name="True Blue" post="908271" timestamp="1289707744"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=75999.msg908239#msg908239 date=1289707173]
You guys are missing the boat on this one.........True Blue knows all about transfer rules!!!!  He has done it three times in three years!!!! ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]You know that you realy need to get over were my son played and is playing this year. But I do hope you have as much to say face to face when we get to the HJ tournement.  ;)
[/quote]Its's really a common practice for high school players to transfer before the start of a new school year.

[quote name="True Blue" post="907296" timestamp="1289682591"]
Yea just think about it 7 kids from each school trying to make 1 team ??That is why I cant understand why PM is not a power house in there Dist??
[/quote]
They had a great team last year. They played there worst game last year in the first round.

[quote name="whsalum" post="908220" timestamp="1289706696"]
True the more you talk the more I realize how little you know about college basketball or basketball in general.First of all the McGallion kid has a very good skill set and would be able to play at the 3a level.That being said he has a few things that would hurt him playing any college ball, the biggest being size.You seem to think Jr colleges are for less talented players which is not true, it usually is for players who have issues becoming eligible or various parts of their game they need to work on.There were some very good high school players in the area last year and not many were mid major players much less D1 prospects.If you have players transferring for exposure in their senior season they probably aren't gonna be playing college ball.
[/quote]
Agreed about the McGallion kid, some of the 4A schools around here McGallion could have played for, Nederlands PG was not that good last year and Chase is just as good as Scott from PNG. He could have also played for Vidor, Lumberton, BC, HF, and so on.

[quote name="mfd814" post="908500" timestamp="1289717292"]
Kids have been transferring out of PAISD to SP for yearssssssssssss, it is not new and not because of the storm.  Alot of kids from the Port Acres area attend SP as well. 
[/quote]That it the point I am trying  to make. You never know what kind of team SP is going to have, untill  they play their first game, to see who they have playing for them. I thought that is what this topic was about? ( What kind of team Sabine was going to have this year??)

Transfers or no transfers, it makes no difference to me. I just want to see the smaller schools survive. The State of Texas would like to merge as many small schools into larger districts as it possibly can. It means that the pie (state funds) gets cut into fewer pieces and slightly larger pieces, to boot.

Bigger does not mean better. There are some great students and athletes that come form all sizes of schools. I just want to insure that the options continue for smaller schools. You hear that almost all schools are actively seeking transfer students. Vidor recently changed their policies on it and Bridge City has billboards around the Neaderland/PA area to hopefully bring in students.

I am more concerned that we may be approaching something that is more like the old NCAA where funny business comes into play as junior high kids parents start getting strange phone calls from secure untracable cell phones asking them what it will take for "little Johnny" come transfer and play for such and such school. Don't laugh! It has happened before and it could certainly happen again and remember that the UIL does not have an enforcement division like the NCAA to police all the possible violations of the rules by TExas schools.

Guest KirbyKat
Sabine Pass will on once again field a very competitive team. The coaching staff does a great job. Transfers are part of life. If the student meets the requirements of the transfer rules he plays. As far as 1A players getting college offers, they have to be very special. I agree about the statement about the Spurger guard...size will be the question. After watching Evadale play this summer, they return 4 starters and played this summer without their transfer, and he has not played an entire hs season in over a year. And knowing the big man in charge in Evadale, the transfer will have to fit in with the TEAM concept, not anyone else's agenda.

[quote name="KirbyKat" post="909096" timestamp="1289777889"]
Sabine Pass will on once again field a very competitive team. The coaching staff does a great job. Transfers are part of life. If the student meets the requirements of the transfer rules he plays. As far as 1A players getting college offers, they have to be very special. I agree about the statement about the Spurger guard...size will be the question. After watching Evadale play this summer, they return 4 starters and played this summer without their transfer, and he has not played an entire hs season in over a year. And knowing the big man in charge in Evadale, the transfer will [b]have to fit in with the [b]TEAM concept, not anyone else's agenda[/b].[/b][/quote] :D :D IF you only new :D :D

Guest Abraham
I think sabine will be competing for 3rd place in this dist. just because they lost a lot of talent last year and are very young now. As far as transfers go yes they do get quite a bit of them but they do have to meet the standards of the school so all in all i say it kind of evens out.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami