19-4A predictions 2010-2011

Who do you think wins the district this year?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think wins the district this year?

• GCM
    • Dayton
    • Lee
    • BH
    • Crosby

[quote name="WhatHappened?" post="917152" timestamp="1290519998"]
[quote author=BH1998 link=topic=75030.msg916698#msg916698 date=1290459015]
I agree with BringinTheHeat, time will tell and I do not see anybody dominating the district.  But it will be like always when a new coach comes in, He is the savior until he sits sombody's kid or somebody is not on varsity that dad thinks they should be.    There will be a 4 way battle for district, Lee,BH,GCM and Crosby, not in that order because I could not predict that.  Patty, you stated ealier that if you ain't hitting .300 you aint trying.    I agree with that in non-district play, you are facing most #3 to #5 pitchers, but in district when you face Leggett, Gabby,Sealy, Chance (GCM), Long and come out with a .300 Avg, you did good.  If those four teams all split in district play it would not suprise me.  I like the confidence that some bring, but lets just sit and wait before talking too much smack.  I do agree that Denny will do wonders for the program, but the kids still have to play and there are a couple of holes to fill with 3rd base, 1st base, 1 or 2 outfield spots and a DH.  Returners are Thompson(catcher), Leggett,( SS), Santana (2nd), Bonnin(OF), King(OF), Newcomb (Utility), may be some moving around, but look for these to stay in the lineup. Pitchers- Long,Leggett,Ausbury, will be returning.  Look for Woods to help with the pitching,  Erwin,Denny,Thames and Beasly to get a position and make a impact, but they are still not proven yet and there may be a suprise or a move in, so you never know how it will play out.   I do know with those 6 returners and how they can hit and add those 4 mentioned and knowing how they can hit, it will be a solid line-up.  But also know GCM has some serious sticks back as well.  My Prediction is BH,LEE,GCM,and Crosby all make the play-offs in any order.
[/quote]
My prediction on starting line up= Dylan Marshall(catcher), Matt King(1st bagger), Santana(2nd), Denny(SS), Erwin(3rd bagger), Thames, Wood, Bonnin(outfield), Thompson, Newcomb, Bellard(DH)
Maybe Thompson stuck in right field if he can judge a pop fly cause he has a good stick.
As for the pitchers look on 1st page. listed them all and they have 5 pitchers in depth. going to be a good team
[/quote]

I hope we don't use your line up! I am glad Denny is the coach and hope he doesn't accept suggestions!!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="BringinTheHeat" post="917203" timestamp="1290525611"]
[quote author=WhatHappened? link=topic=75030.msg917152#msg917152 date=1290519998]
I agree with BringinTheHeat, time will tell and I do not see anybody dominating the district.  But it will be like always when a new coach comes in, He is the savior until he sits sombody's kid or somebody is not on varsity that dad thinks they should be.    There will be a 4 way battle for district, Lee,BH,GCM and Crosby, not in that order because I could not predict that.  Patty, you stated ealier that if you ain't hitting .300 you aint trying.    I agree with that in non-district play, you are facing most #3 to #5 pitchers, but in district when you face Leggett, Gabby,Sealy, Chance (GCM), Long and come out with a .300 Avg, you did good.  If those four teams all split in district play it would not suprise me.  I like the confidence that some bring, but lets just sit and wait before talking too much smack.  I do agree that Denny will do wonders for the program, but the kids still have to play and there are a couple of holes to fill with 3rd base, 1st base, 1 or 2 outfield spots and a DH.  Returners are Thompson(catcher), Leggett,( SS), Santana (2nd), Bonnin(OF), King(OF), Newcomb (Utility), may be some moving around, but look for these to stay in the lineup. Pitchers- Long,Leggett,Ausbury, will be returning.  Look for Woods to help with the pitching,  Erwin,Denny,Thames and Beasly to get a position and make a impact, but they are still not proven yet and there may be a suprise or a move in, so you never know how it will play out.   I do know with those 6 returners and how they can hit and add those 4 mentioned and knowing how they can hit, it will be a solid line-up.  But also know GCM has some serious sticks back as well.  My Prediction is BH,LEE,GCM,and Crosby all make the play-offs in any order.
[/quote]
My prediction on starting line up= Dylan Marshall(catcher), Matt King(1st bagger), Santana(2nd), Denny(SS), Erwin(3rd bagger), Thames, Wood, Bonnin(outfield), Thompson, Newcomb, Bellard(DH)
Maybe Thompson stuck in right field if he can judge a pop fly cause he has a good stick.
As for the pitchers look on 1st page. listed them all and they have 5 pitchers in depth. going to be a good team
[/quote]

I hope we don't use your line up! I am glad Denny is the coach and hope he doesn't accept suggestions!!
[/quote]

This starting line-up has no Leggs. ;)
Probably BH's most consistent player last year.

Pretty good line up to me. Leggett is only a pitcher. His stick sort of showed up at the end of the year but not reliable. Leggett as a fielder is not very good. 50% at fielding the ball. You would never know when he would get one.

As for the rest of the line up... it depends who hits. If Wood is hitting he will play if not Newcomb will and/or Thompson. Thames and Pearson could switch it out depending on the stick as well and grades.

So tell me where the mess up in this line up is and i will consider your opinion on changing mine...

[quote name="WhatHappened?" post="917152" timestamp="1290519998"]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am not from BH but I am familiar with the baseball team. Why would you move Thompson from behind the plate and stick him in right field? I thought the kid was solid as a sophomore with a bright future in front of him. I actually predicted him to be one of the best in district this year if not the best catcher in 19-4A. Did he get hurt? He has a strong arm and quick release what is the logic there? Denny is a good coach no doubt but he also was fortunate to have the returning talent that he has.

[quote name="WhatHappened?" post="917232" timestamp="1290527690"]
Pretty good line up to me. Leggett is only a pitcher.[b] His stick sort of showed up at the end of the year but not reliable. Leggett as a fielder is not very good. 50% at fielding the ball. You would never know when he would get one.[/b]

As for the rest of the line up... it depends who hits. If Wood is hitting he will play if not Newcomb will and/or Thompson. Thames and Pearson could switch it out depending on the stick as well and grades.

So tell me where the mess up in this line up is and i will consider your opinion on changing mine...
[/quote]

I would also think his dad doesn't appreciate you running him down like that. One rule you should follow, when you mention a young man's name, you should only speak positive of him. The kids read this forum also and they really take that kind of stuff to heart.

[quote name="TEL" post="917233" timestamp="1290527966"]
[quote author=WhatHappened? link=topic=75030.msg917152#msg917152 date=1290519998]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am not from BH but I am familiar with the baseball team. Why would you move Thompson from behind the plate and stick him in right field? I thought the kid was solid as a sophomore with a bright future in front of him. I actually predicted him to be one of the best in district this year if not the best catcher in 19-4A. Did he get hurt? He has a strong arm and quick release what is the logic there? Denny is a good coach no doubt but he also was fortunate to have the returning talent that he has.
[/quote]
I moved Thompson away from the plate because of his lack of effort. If a ball was in the dirt, he didnt care to slide to block it or anything. Just took a stab at the ball and prayed he caught it. If he came up empty he would jog back to the ball even if a runner was on. Lack of effort is a big way to find a way to the bench. But he can hit the ball therefore needs to be on the field somewhere. As for Denny i know he picks a defensive catcher over hitting. He started a Sophomore over a Senior only because the Senior was lazy and only could hit. But the Sophomore hustled and controlled the game. Catcher is the most important position on the field. Controls the game(or suppose to). Last year BH catcher didnt show much leadership or enthusiasm towards his play. Therefore moved him out and put Marshall there. As for pop time to 2nd Marshall has a better time. He is working on a 3.7 pop time. Average Pro pop time is 3.6 and fastest in MLB to this day is 3.2.

[quote name="TEL" post="917237" timestamp="1290528294"]
[quote author=WhatHappened? link=topic=75030.msg917232#msg917232 date=1290527690]
Pretty good line up to me. Leggett is only a pitcher.[b] His stick sort of showed up at the end of the year but not reliable. Leggett as a fielder is not very good. 50% at fielding the ball. You would never know when he would get one.[/b]

[/quote]

I would also think his dad doesn't appreciate you running him down like that. One rule you should follow, when you mention a young man's name, you should only speak positive of him. The kids read this forum also and they really take that kind of stuff to heart.
[/quote]
As for Leggett. He is a great kid and an awesome pitcher. Good location and will do great this year. And hopefully he takes it to heart. Give him some drive to push himself and find a starting spot. Caleb is to good to not play. From what i hear he is a stud and i believe it knowing David Denny holds records at t.u. and the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

For a Freshman a good target to shoot for is to break the 2.4 mark.

The average game pop for a good high school varsity catcher is 2.20-2.25.

Above average is 2.10-2.19

Excellent for a HS varsity catcher would be a game throw 2.0-2.09

The key to remember is that the catchers throw is only the 2nd half of the equation. If your pitcher is 1.7 to the plate, and your catcher is 2.3, that's 4.0 combined. That will beat many baserunners to 2nd.

I have so many coaches contacting me telling me their catchers are not effective throwing out runners but when I ask what their pitchers time to the plate is they have no idea, We need to be aware of both times.

Catchers take to much of the blame for successfull basestealing.

I had one 14 yr old student a few years ago that could throw game throws 1.90 and faster. He caught on a middle school team. He only threw out about 20% of the base stealers. The pitchers many times never even looked over to first. The leads were and jump were huge. It's not just about the catchers throw.

ONE MORE STANDARD FOR YOU.

Another good standard for kids to shoot for is for the kids 13yr old, first year on the big field. Most have been throwing 85ft, now 127.

Their goal should be to finish spring season of 13 yr ball breaking 3.0

Kid with a 90MPH fastball......Potential

Kid with a 90MPH fastball and a great catcher....Results

This year should be interesting, but some of the boys in your lineup haven't played in HS ball in a couple years and some won't make it at positions you mentioned. But unlike you, I won't mention names because that is not what this board is about.

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="BringinTheHeat" post="917258" timestamp="1290530858"]

For a Freshman a good target to shoot for is to break the 2.4 mark.

The average game pop for a good high school varsity catcher is 2.20-2.25.

Above average is 2.10-2.19

Excellent for a HS varsity catcher would be a game throw 2.0-2.09

The key to remember is that the catchers throw is only the 2nd half of the equation. If your pitcher is 1.7 to the plate, and your catcher is 2.3, that's 4.0 combined. That will beat many baserunners to 2nd.

I have so many coaches contacting me telling me their catchers are not effective throwing out runners but when I ask what their pitchers time to the plate is they have no idea, We need to be aware of both times.

Catchers take to much of the blame for successfull basestealing.

I had one 14 yr old student a few years ago that could throw game throws 1.90 and faster. He caught on a middle school team. He only threw out about 20% of the base stealers. The pitchers many times never even looked over to first. The leads were and jump were huge. It's not just about the catchers throw.

ONE MORE STANDARD FOR YOU.

Another good standard for kids to shoot for is for the kids 13yr old, first year on the big field. Most have been throwing 85ft, now 127.

Their goal should be to finish spring season of 13 yr ball breaking 3.0

Kid with a 90MPH fastball......Potential

Kid with a 90MPH fastball and a great catcher....Results

This year should be interesting, but some of the boys in your lineup haven't played in HS ball in a couple years and some won't make it at positions you mentioned. But unlike you, I won't mention names because that is not what this board is about.
[/quote]

Names are not a problem. Bashing those named is.

Forum Rules
18 ) The bashing of any particular coach, player, referee, etc will not be tolerated. This includes issues involving their personal lives, coaching/playing style or performance, past experiences, etc.

Obviously i was definitely adding the pitchers pitch too. No catcher gets the ball first to throw to second in a game. Have to add the pitcher too. Bashing kids isnt a big problem... maybe give them motive to work harder. As for the kids who havent played i know who you are talking about. Marshall has been taking bullpens all last year and this year with Asbury and Erwin. I know a bullpen is nothing like a game situation but it is still getting work in. And Erwin didnt play last year but this summer he did for the Connie Mac team. Made 2 bare handed plays at third with a 5 for 5 percentage of getting an out and hit 2 homeruns in the 4 hole spot.

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="WhatHappened?" post="917267" timestamp="1290531823"]
Obviously i was definitely adding the pitchers pitch too. No catcher gets the ball first to throw to second in a game. Have to add the pitcher too. Bashing kids isnt a big problem... maybe give them motive to work harder. As for the kids who havent played i know who you are talking about. Marshall has been taking bullpens all last year and this year with Asbury and Erwin. I know a bullpen is nothing like a game situation but it is still getting work in. And Erwin didnt play last year but this summer he did for the Connie Mac team. Made 2 bare handed plays at third with a 5 for 5 percentage of getting an out and hit 2 homeruns in the 4 hole spot.
[/quote]

Connie Mack? Really?

[quote name="Peppermint Patty" post="917271" timestamp="1290532062"]
[quote author=WhatHappened? link=topic=75030.msg917267#msg917267 date=1290531823]
[/quote]

Connie Mack? Really?
[/quote]
Most he has played since sophomore year. But if you want those stats too. Erwin started right field every game and led the team in Homeruns(3) and led the team with RBI's

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="WhatHappened?" post="917274" timestamp="1290532237"]
[quote author=Peppermint Patty link=topic=75030.msg917271#msg917271 date=1290532062]
[quote author=WhatHappened? link=topic=75030.msg917267#msg917267 date=1290531823]
[/quote]

Connie Mack? Really?
[/quote]
Most he has played since sophomore year. But if you want those stats too. Erwin started right field every game and led the team in Homeruns(3) and led the team with RBI's
[/quote]

Those are about as significant and useful as Connie Mack stats.

WOW !!!  Did not intend on starting a debate on who plays where with my post. I was just stating that I thought the returning starters from last year would be in the line-up, 4 got district honors.  I still think those 6 will be in the line-up, don't know where, but when you prove yourself at the varsity level in any sport (not Connie Mack) and you get reconized by the other coaches in the district, I don't see you getting benched the following year.   Don't see Thompson getting stuck in right field, nor anyone else stuck there, it is a position that about 60 kids would love to have in that starting line-up on varsity.   All I can say is if you ain't got nothing nice to say, keep your mouth shut.  Honesty is one thing, predicting a starting line-up is OK, but don't give your reasons on why you don't have another kid in your line-up.  I don't know why we hired Denny, should have hired Whathappened.  My predications for the district is still Lee,BH,Crosby, GCM in any order. Unless Denny listens to WhatHappened, then I predict Lee, Crosby, GCM, and Dayton.

[quote name="BH1998" post="917313" timestamp="1290534607"]
I have learned so much the past week reading those post, I thought I knew a little about baseball. Finding out how uneducated I was in the game.  I will buy the popcorn. 
[/quote]Me to, i'm ready for the bigs now. If only the Braves job was just now opening, man i'd have a shot at it now. WhatHappened?- please more baseball wisdom, i'm writing this stuff down as fast as you type it. My book is allready 1 line long.

Guest Ranger83
I found some of WhatHappened's instructional videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neHgPKWY4Qg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsbq3wVHKOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhucFmNv3SI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOcThXDgLOo

[quote name="WhatHappened?" post="917267" timestamp="1290531823"]
Obviously i was definitely adding the pitchers pitch too. No catcher gets the ball first to throw to second in a game. Have to add the pitcher too. [b]Bashing kids isnt a big problem... maybe give them motive to work harder.[/b] As for the kids who havent played i know who you are talking about. Marshall has been taking bullpens all last year and this year with Asbury and Erwin. I know a bullpen is nothing like a game situation but it is still getting work in. And Erwin didnt play last year but this summer he did for the Connie Mac team. Made 2 bare handed plays at third with a 5 for 5 percentage of getting an out and hit 2 homeruns in the 4 hole spot.
[/quote]

Bashing kids isn't a big problem, but when you get all these dads on your butt for doing it, it's going to be a problem. Like I said before, if your going to bring up a name it needs to be positive. Not sure if you have a son but if you do I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate anyone running him down. I don't call that motivation!!
I have to agree with everyone else, you can throw the Connie Mac stats out the window.

[quote name="TEL" post="917376" timestamp="1290538488"]
Obviously i was definitely adding the pitchers pitch too. No catcher gets the ball first to throw to second in a game. Have to add the pitcher too. [b]Bashing kids isnt a big problem... maybe give them motive to work harder.[/b] As for the kids who havent played i know who you are talking about. Marshall has been taking bullpens all last year and this year with Asbury and Erwin. I know a bullpen is nothing like a game situation but it is still getting work in. And Erwin didnt play last year but this summer he did for the Connie Mac team. Made 2 bare handed plays at third with a 5 for 5 percentage of getting an out and hit 2 homeruns in the 4 hole spot.
[/quote]

Bashing kids isn't a big problem, but when you get all these dads on your butt for doing it, it's going to be a problem. Like I said before, if your going to bring up a name it needs to be positive. Not sure if you have a son but if you do I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate anyone running him down. I don't call that motivation!!
I have to agree with everyone else, you can throw the Connie Mac stats out the window.
[/quote]
I didnt even bash him hard. i looked at his performances and stated the good things and bad things. I gave him compliments about his pitching and gave my reasoning on why he wont be starting at SS. As for Connie Mac stats that is the only thing based off his performance at Varsity level. He has always been the leader and the kid who dives for the extra bases. as for the fielding it doesnt matter Connie Mac or regular season 5 for 5 with 2 bare handed plays could happen at any time. its routine ground balls.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami