Todd Dodge out at UNT

Man I really hate that!!!!  I don't know him personally but from a distance I like Todd Dodge as a player and coach.  Not sure why he was not able to get it done but I have not lost faith in him.  I read somewhere what his 10 guiding core principles were as a person and coach and I could not have been more impressed.  I hope that he gets another chance and proves everyone wrong.  One thing is for sure, and it is played out time and time again at both the pro, college and high school, no one can be successful at every place.  There are situations that are right for a good person and situations that are wrong.  I think UNT just wasn't right for Todd Dodge.

As I said on KatFans...

[quote]I was not shocked about his hire... he was a 'big name' in Texas HS circles...

His biggest problem was bringing along 3-4 assistants from Carroll, bringing in a D3 assistant and then a guy out of coaching for over a decade to fill his staff. You had a bunch of FBS rookies! He'd of been better off hiring a qualified mid-major and/or FCS assistant to be his OC and DC...

Coaches make a world of difference in recruiting and skill-building...[/quote]

Will give Woodard some credit in that regard. He did not load up on JUCO or HS coaches. Most of his assistants have some legitimate Div I experience and it will do him better than it did Dodge.

[quote name="bigred360" post="882141" timestamp="1287616412"]I'm just talking "if's" here but if Todd Dodge were to join the Lamar staff there would be 3 former UT Longhorns on the staff. 1. Coach Woodard. 2. Coach Brown. 3. Todd Dodge. Plus he could give Lamar a boost in recruiting the Metroplex. [/quote]

Well, if he gave Lamar the same boost that he gave NT when it came to recruiting in the DFW Metroplex... some of the financially-strapped SLC institutions have a lot to be excited about!

You really think he'd give any school a boost in the Metroplex? I guess his offense may be a bit exciting and have some reputation, but isn't that what Whitten brings to the table as well?

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="882216" timestamp="1287619956"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74741.msg882141#msg882141 date=1287616412]I'm just talking "if's" here but if Todd Dodge were to join the Lamar staff there would be 3 former UT Longhorns on the staff. 1. Coach Woodard. 2. Coach Brown. 3. Todd Dodge. Plus he could give Lamar a boost in recruiting the Metroplex. [/quote]

Well, if he gave Lamar the same boost that he gave NT when it came to recruiting in the DFW Metroplex... some of the financially-strapped SLC institutions have a lot to be excited about!

You really think he'd give any school a boost in the Metroplex? I guess his offense may be a bit exciting and have some reputation, but isn't that what Whitten brings to the table as well?
[/quote]

He is a great offensive coach TexasTerror. I'm not talking about him as the HC.  ::) You have something smart to say about everyone. Coach Dodge did not work out at UNT but he can talk circles around you regarding football. BTW, he can talk circles around a lot of people. Like you stated in a earlier post he just did not hire the right assistants. I promise you if you are a HS or JC recuit and you play offense you'll love playing for Todd Dodge.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="882216" timestamp="1287619956"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74741.msg882141#msg882141 date=1287616412]I'm just talking "if's" here but if Todd Dodge were to join the Lamar staff there would be 3 former UT Longhorns on the staff. 1. Coach Woodard. 2. Coach Brown. 3. Todd Dodge. Plus he could give Lamar a boost in recruiting the Metroplex. [/quote]

[b]You really think he'd give any school a boost in the Metroplex? I guess his offense may be a bit exciting and have some reputation, but isn't that what Whitten brings to the table as well?[/b][/quote]

I'll take Todd Dodge over Coach Whitten everyday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Dodge

Guest sly0071
anyone hear about Whitten leaving the game before it was over last Saturday????  I personally didn't see it even though I stayed for the whole game, but I heard about it.

[quote name="sly0071" post="882286" timestamp="1287623879"]
anyone hear about Whitten leaving the game before it was over last Saturday????  I personally didn't see it even though I stayed for the whole game, but I heard about it.
[/quote]

Well he sits in the press box.

[quote name="sly0071" post="882286" timestamp="1287623879"]
[/quote]

Hopefully he won't bother going to the North Dakota game at all.

[quote name="bigred360" post="882236" timestamp="1287620726"]
[quote author=TexasTerror link=topic=74741.msg882216#msg882216 date=1287619956]

[/quote]

He is a great offensive coach TexasTerror. I'm not talking about him as the HC.  ::) You have something smart to say about everyone. Coach Dodge did not work out at UNT but he can talk circles around you regarding football. BTW, he can talk circles around a lot of people. Like you stated in a earlier post he just did not hire the right assistants. I promise you if you are a HS or JC recuit and you play offense you'll love playing for Todd Dodge.
[/quote]

I don't know, for a change, that Terrors comments were all that far off base.  Dodge wasn't exactly successful at UNT.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="885134" timestamp="1287849647"]
Dodge didn't have success at unt but don't forget he was considered basically a God at southlake Carroll. Those people haven't forgot that and still have respect for him.
[/quote]

Man, he didn't go from a great coach at Southlake to a terrible one at UNT. He made a few bad hires and injuries killed his teams at UNT.

He was the FIRST QB in Texas High School history to pass for more than 3,000 yards in a season while at PA Jefferson in 1980. The was a HS All American and signed with UT.

While coaching at Southlake from 2001-2006, the Dragons won 4 state titles, 1 state finalist had 89 victories and ONE defeat. Which was a one point loss to Katy 16-15 in 2003 title game. He won the last 48 straight games he coached at Southlake Carroll.

If you are a high school football fan you shouldn't be able to forget about him.

If I had an opportunity to hire him I would in a heartbeat; high school or college OC.  

Don't look for him to be out of work long as Bob West mentioned he may end up at UT in his Sunday Column.

[quote name="coachacola" post="886475" timestamp="1287954707"]
Southlake Carroll was good before Dodge arrived and has been good since he left.  You don't have to recruit talent in high school, for the most part it's there or it's not.  I think North Texas misjudged how well Dodge would do as a college coach based on that.
[/quote]
Wrong!

Southlake was great under Ledbetter. They ran one of the Bone offenses backe then in 2A and 3A. They moved up to 4A and didn't have the same success. Made the playoffs a few times, but not deep runs. Dodge got the job, changed the offense and they blew up as they moved up to 5A.

Since he left they have been good, but not great. No deep playoff runs.

There is no doubt Dodge had big troubles at UNT, but one thing was for sure, his offenses were still good. Go back and look. UNT scored alot, but they couldn't stop anyone! This is where Todd failed. He never really got a DC or the defensive recruits needed to be successful.

I'd take him in a heartbeat as the OC at my favorite school, be it college or HS.

[quote name="badndn" post="886687" timestamp="1287972561"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=74741.msg886475#msg886475 date=1287954707]
Southlake Carroll was good before Dodge arrived and has been good since he left.  You don't have to recruit talent in high school, for the most part it's there or it's not.  I think North Texas misjudged how well Dodge would do as a college coach based on that.
[/quote]
Wrong!

[b]Southlake was great under Ledbetter. They ran one of the Bone offenses backe then in 2A and 3A. They moved up to 4A and didn't have the same success. Made the playoffs a few times, but not deep runs. Dodge got the job, changed the offense and they blew up as they moved up to 5A.[/b]Since he left they have been good, but not great. No deep playoff runs.

There is no doubt Dodge had big troubles at UNT, but one thing was for sure, his offenses were still good. Go back and look. UNT scored alot, but they couldn't stop anyone! This is where Todd failed. He never really got a DC or the defensive recruits needed to be successful.

I'd take him in a heartbeat as the OC at my favorite school, be it college or HS.
[/quote]

People, Todd dodge brought HS  assistant coaches with him his firrst year. You don't do that in FBS football, even at the UNt level of play in the Sun Belt.  And, rather than hit the recruiting trail the minute he was hired, he showed up at work after his son finished HS ball at SLC.  He then assembled his HS staff. 
His first recruiting class was a disaster.  Still, and despite his horrible record at UNT, many fans hold the utmost respect for him.  A very classy guy upon his dismissle.  So classy that he will be attending the rest of UNT's games to see his son Riley play.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="887796" timestamp="1288065599"]
didnt set the world on fire before SLC,24-35

never finished above .500
[/quote]

Always find a way to find something negative. What do you do for a living? I know I wouldn't want someone to always find something wrong with my job preformance. Then again, I deal will life or death issues everyday and have seen 1993 so there haven't been too many complaints.  ;)

As for as Todd Dodge, you didn't mention he was the WR and QB coach at Rockwall and helped the team to the 4A state championship game versus SE Texas own West Orange-Stark. Nor did your post mention his stop at McKinney where they were a run oriented offense and changed the offense to a spread. By 1991, McKinney made it to the 4A regional finals.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124