Todd Dodge out at UNT

[quote name="bigred360" post="888150" timestamp="1288116946"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=74741.msg887796#msg887796 date=1288065599]
didnt set the world on fire before SLC,24-35

never finished above .500
[/quote]

Always find a way to find something negative. What do you do for a living? I know I wouldn't want someone to always find something wrong with my job preformance. Then again, I deal will life or death issues everyday and have seen 1993 so there haven't been too many complaints.  ;)

As for as Todd Dodge, you didn't mention he was the WR and QB coach at Rockwall and helped the team to the 4A state championship game versus SE Texas own West Orange-Stark. Nor did your post mention his stop at McKinney where they were a run oriented offense and changed the offense to a spread. By 1991, McKinney made it to the 4A regional finals.
[/quote]
No disrespect bigred360, but talking success in HS football is one thing, FBS is another subject.  HS sucess does not translate to college success.  Never has, never will.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="888184" timestamp="1288118921"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74741.msg888150#msg888150 date=1288116946]

[/quote]

Always find a way to find something negative. What do you do for a living? I know I wouldn't want someone to always find something wrong with my job preformance. Then again, I deal will life or death issues everyday and have seen 1993 so there haven't been too many complaints.  ;)

As for as Todd Dodge, you didn't mention he was the WR and QB coach at Rockwall and helped the team to the 4A state championship game versus SE Texas own West Orange-Stark. Nor did your post mention his stop at McKinney where they were a run oriented offense and changed the offense to a spread. By 1991, McKinney made it to the 4A regional finals.
[/quote]
No disrespect bigred360, but talking success in HS football is one thing, FBS is another subject.  HS sucess does not translate to college success.  Never has, never will.
[/quote]
So UNT doesn't recruit high school seniors?  I mean HS success does not translate to college success.

I think Green Menace is saying the HS coaches don't have success when they go straight to being the head coach at the college level.  Didn't Notre Dame try this recently with a highly touted HS coach and that didn't work?  In hindsight, Dodge probably should have been hired as a OC first at the college level before being the head coach. 

[quote name="coachacola" post="888234" timestamp="1288122879"]
I think Green Menace is saying the HS coaches don't have success when they go straight to being the head coach at the college level.  Didn't Notre Dame try this recently with a highly touted HS coach and that didn't work?  In hindsight, Dodge probably should have been hired as a OC first at the college level before being the head coach.  
[/quote]

Well, then in that cast I agree with both of you. I just don't think Todd Dodge is a bad coach as he probably should have got his feet wet as a OC somewhere before taking on a Head Coaching position at a FBS level program.

[quote name="bigred360" post="888238" timestamp="1288123054"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=74741.msg888234#msg888234 date=1288122879]
I think Green Menace is saying the HS coaches don't have success when they go straight to being the head coach at the college level.  Didn't Notre Dame try this recently with a highly touted HS coach and that didn't work?  In hindsight, Dodge probably should have been hired as a OC first at the college level before being the head coach.  
[/quote]

Well, then in that cast I agree with both of you. I just don't think Todd Dodge is a bad coach as he probably should have got his feet wet as a OC somewhere before taking on a Head Coaching position at a FBS level program.
[/quote]
Exactly!  I was referring to coaching in HS then going straight to college.  I wasn't referring to the players.

Todd Dodge's first game as a college coach in 2007 was against the Oklahoma Sooners in which UNT lost 70-10, or by some other outrageous score.  During the game, early on, OU defensive players reported to their coaches how UNT was playing a very "basic HS defensive scheme", to the point that the players were laughing at how easy it was to score on UNT.  And the HS defensive coordinator turned FBS defensive coordinator in one offseason, Coach Mendoza, didn't have a clue how to adjust to what OU was showing them on offense.  Offensively, all Dodge's offensive coordinator, Todd Ford, could do was run short dump passes of 3-5 yards and some bubble screens.  No adjustments based on what OU was showing them on defense, which was a basic 4-3 scheme.  dodge and company were clueless.  And I'm not trying to say UNT would have won or even come close to winning the game.  Just decrease the amount of embarrassment.  The rest is history.

[quote name="bigred360" post="888238" timestamp="1288123054"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Ala Art Briles! Got a good taste at Texas Tech after Stephenville before becoming HC. Of course most you of you may not be aware that Todd was an assistant at UNT in the mid 90's.

[/quote]
Correct, but he took over really bad programs and was only at each of them for two years and they improved between year 1 and 2 at each stop. He also coached at Rockwall (State finalist) and McKinney (QFinals) as a QB coach and OC. The guy knows offense! He will be highly regaurded as an OC somewhere.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="888271" timestamp="1288125001"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74741.msg888238#msg888238 date=1288123054]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly!  I was referring to coaching in HS then going straight to college.  I wasn't referring to the players.

Todd Dodge's first game as a college coach in 2007 was against the Oklahoma Sooners in which UNT lost 70-10, or by some other outrageous score.  During the game, early on, OU defensive players reported to their coaches how UNT was playing a very "basic HS defensive scheme", to the point that the players were laughing at how easy it was to score on UNT.  And the HS defensive coordinator turned FBS defensive coordinator in one offseason, Coach Mendoza, didn't have a clue how to adjust to what OU was showing them on offense.  Offensively, all Dodge's offensive coordinator, Todd Ford, could do was run short dump passes of 3-5 yards and some bubble screens.  No adjustments based on what OU was showing them on defense, which was a basic 4-3 scheme.  dodge and company were clueless.  And I'm not trying to say UNT would have won or even come close to winning the game.  Just decrease the amount of embarrassment.  The rest is history.
[/quote]

I was being sarcastic about the players. You mentioned Todd Dodge's first game at UNT versus OU in Norman, Oklahoma in 2007. OU was #8 in the country in FBS when they played and UNT had better offensive stats versus the Sooners than Lamar did in our 71-3 loss to SFA. So join the club for embarrassment. UNT had 13 first downs, 232 passing yards and time of possession was 27:58. Lamar in comparison had 9 first downs 139 passing yards versus a top 5 FCS team.  

I'm not defending Coach Dodge but to use his first game versus OU isn't really something that isn't uncommon and that is for one team to beat the crap out of the other.

Was UNT right to fire Coach Dodge in middle of the season? I say if you are going to make a change anyway it gives you more opportunities to talk with other coaches and hopefully land the best candidate for the position of Head Coach.

I know Coach Dodge will land on his feet somewhere and will be successful. Good luck to UNT in their search for a new HC.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="888973" timestamp="1288207700"]
I used the OU game to further how ridiculous it was for Todd to bring in high school assistants.  How hard could it have been for a seasoned University of Oklahoma offensive coordinator to outcoach a defensive coordinator(Mendoza) right out of high school?
[/quote]

Agree, I think he wanted to be loyal to his assistants at SLC, JMO. Those decisions probably cost him his job. 95% or higher, of the HS defensive coordinators in the state of Texas would not have been ready their first game at the FBS level to compete and win versus a team like OU.

Again, best of luck with the coaching search at the UNT.

[quote name="bigred360" post="888150" timestamp="1288116946"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i put out a fact, you get your panties in a knot..everybody seems to think Dodge is God's gift to coaching, i think otherwise.

who  cares what you do for a living?...if you had dodge's winning pct, you'd be outta work also.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="889230" timestamp="1288227361"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i put out a fact, you get your panties in a knot..everybody seems to think Dodge is God's gift to coaching, i think otherwise.

who  cares what you do for a living?...[b]if you had dodge's winning pct, you'd be outta work also.[/b]
[/quote]

He won't be outta work for long.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="889230" timestamp="1288227361"]

[/quote]

Always find a way to find something negative. What do you do for a living? I know I wouldn't want someone to always find something wrong with my job preformance. Then again, I deal will life or death issues everyday and have seen 1993 so there haven't been too many complaints.  ;)

[/quote]

who  cares what you do for a living?...if you had dodge's winning pct, you'd be outta work also.
[/quote]

Actually, I wear boxer briefs and no they aren't in a knot. :D You are entitled to your opinion about Coach Dodge and he deserved to get canned for his record at UNT. Please find a post in which I stated differently. But, you can't ignore what he did at Southlake Carroll as a coach. He is a young man when it comes to coaching and he'll land on his feet somewhere. I personally think it will be at the college level because you can't expect to duplicate the success he had at SLC at another high school.

I'm sure no one cares what I do for a living. But, comparing my job preformance with Coach Dodge at UNT I wouldn't just be fired but probably sued too.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124