Five Minute Rule

Charlotte

My daughter played in a tournament this weekend that had a rule set by the tournament director that a new inning would not be started if there was less than five minutes left in the game. The reason for this was to keep the games on schedule. If you where the visiting team down by a run with four minutes and fifty-nine seconds  left in the game you where not given the oppurtunity to come back.

I know in the past teams have comback and won these games with less time than that. This is the first time we have been to a tourney that this rule was in place, just wondering if anyone else has played in one with this rule. Overall it was a well run tournament, nice weather, fields chalked and drug between games, real good concessions and some pretty good umpiring except for when my daughter got called  out at home when she was safe by a mile. LOL. I have the pictures to prove it.  :)

I know there are alot of parents with more tournament experience than us, just wondering had anyone been to a tournament with this rule.

Charlotte Mattox     

My daughter just completed her 10th year of select softball. Now she is in her 1st year of college. To answer your question. This rule has been used from time to time, to help on time.  Just the way the ball bounces sometimes. If all teams new about the rule, they better play ball, and not wait till the end of the game to get something going.

The 'no new inning" ploy is something that tournament directors use to make you think you are playing longer games.  The reality is that there is no difference between having a 1 hour and 15 minute time limit and finish the inning as there is with a 1 hour 20 minute time limit but no new inning will start with less than 5 minutes left in the game.  It just sounds longer.  javascript:void(0);

[quote name="dd1" post="840291" timestamp="1283778654"]
The 'no new inning" ploy is something that tournament directors use to make you think you are playing longer games.  The reality is that there is no difference between having a 1 hour and 15 minute time limit and finish the inning as there is with a 1 hour 20 minute time limit but no new inning will start with less than 5 minutes left in the game.  It just sounds longer.  javascript:void(0);
[/quote]
BINGO
75 minutes no new inning within 5 minutes = 70 minute games!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124