LCM@ GOOSE CREEK MEM / THURS 8/26 / PREDICTIONS

Goose Creek Memorial played Cy-somebody today, and really got it handed to them.  Losing Price Jacobs will hurt them, and for most of their offense it will be their first varsity game.  LCM, on the other hand, has a ton of players that have started 15+ games.  They looked better than last year when they scrimmaged Brazoswood today.  And their pass defense is one of the best in the area (led the district last year and returns 3 of 4 secondary guys).  GCM will be in serious trouble if they can't run the football effectively.  Their defense should be stingy, but I don't see their offense being able to put up enough...

LCM 21
GCM 10

Guest GCMPats
I don't think GCM got anything "handed to them". What I saw yesterday was a good GCM defense and a young offense with some very athletic (and big) receivers. Their problem will be on the o-line. They could not push Cy-Springs off the line when it came to goal line and short yardage situations.

http://baytownsun.com/sports/article_69c838b4-a816-11df-8697-001cc4c03286.html

I do not know what game you were watching but Cy Springs never saw the end zone unbtil they spotted the ball at the 10 yard line a few times and they got it in 3 times. Cy Springs has 4,000 kids in their school and they did not do a very good job when they passed or ran out of the spread. Line was a problem and GCM consitently moved the ball. GCM seemed more atheletic and receivers dropped at least one touchdown pass and GCM had one called back. You can dream on about LCM and 7 on 7 but with noone rushing the QB they will struggle with their small receiving core.

Saw Dayton as well and everyone needs to know they have just reloaded.

I was not there, so I really have no idea.  This excerpt from the Baytown Sun would lead me to believe that CY Springs had some good success running the ball and GCM had zero success running the ball.

[quote]The day started with each team’s first-team offense getting the ball for 20 long minutes in the noonday heat, beginning each possession at their 30-yard line with three plays to make a first down to continue a drive.

The Panthers’ running attack stung GCM early and finished with 16 carries for 75 yards. Although Cy Springs rang up seven first downs on seven possessions, it couldn’t dent the end zone.

GCM’s first team never got a running game going as the Panthers overran the Patriot blockers. Guillory carried on nine of his team’s 13 rushing plays in the 20 minutes and netted zero yards. At least four times he was met by a tackler as he took the ball, the plays resulting in big losses.[/quote]

Guest GCMPats
GCM's only negative yesterday was Guillory did not look as well as expexted. He was very tentative hitting the hole. When he does get going, he's as good as advertised.

I will not predict any score as I have only seen LCM in one 7 on 7 tournament. They do have some good athletes but I do not see them matching up with virtually the whole defense that held Central to 7 points in last year's playoff game. We'll see how they do in week 0. Good luck to both schools.

As far as Cy Springs rushing attack, they had some early success running the ball but 75 yards rushing in 42 minutes of total play does not indicate success running the football. They had plenty of talent but just looked like they were still looking at filling out positions lost from last year.

I will say this... If LCM's D-line is as big and quick as what I saw yesterday GCM will struggle running the ball. Their qb did a good job on the read run plays and did not seem afraid to lower his shoulder and run through tacklers. He had success running and throwing and believe he had a good td run called back. Receivers are so big they can be a problem for some smaller DB's.

How is LCM's D-line?

[quote name="cbear4" post="825780" timestamp="1281900230"]
I will not predict any score as I have only seen LCM in one 7 on 7 tournament. They do have some good athletes but I do not see them matching up with virtually the whole defense that held Central to 7 points in last year's playoff game. We'll see how they do in week 0. Good luck to both schools.

As far as Cy Springs rushing attack, they had some early success running the ball but 75 yards rushing in 42 minutes of total play does not indicate success running the football. They had plenty of talent but just looked like they were still looking at filling out positions lost from last year.
[/quote]

That is mis-representing what was said in the paper.  The 75 yards was in the first 20 minutes.

Guest strongend
If lcm doesnt beat gcm, it will be long year for them.  i really was not impressed with gcm or cy springs.  both were pretty bad from my point of view

I figure GCM is going to have a stout defense.  You have to consider they had mostly sophomores and juniors last year.  What do they have, 9 starters back on defense?
This from a defense that was rounding into form at the end of the season.

I'm just not sure about the offense, particularly with Jacobs focusing on baseball.  He had to be the leading contender to take over the qb position.

I'm not sure where LCM is all of the sudden the odds on favorite to beat GCM.

[quote name="cbear4" post="825795" timestamp="1281903014"]
I will say this... If LCM's D-line is as big and quick as what I saw yesterday GCM will struggle running the ball. Their qb did a good job on the read run plays and did not seem afraid to lower his shoulder and run through tacklers. He had success running and throwing and believe he had a good td run called back. Receivers are so big they can be a problem for some smaller DB's.

How is LCM's D-line?
[/quote]
LCM's d-line starters are quicker than pretty much anybody, but besides Hayden Reed (the shotput and discus guy who is 6' 3'', 235) they are not very big.  And the secondary could definately improve their tackling, but pass defense wise the DBs are certainly above average.

My bad panama, I think they were referring to the first 20 minutes. Cy Springs had the ball the first 20 minutes and did have early success until the D tightened up a bit. 7 first downs in 7 posessions does not constitute a
dominate performance. Good job against a large 5A program. I thought that such a program would have run away with the game.

It  really looked like if Cy Springs would have went from the spread to a more power running game, they would have had their way with GCM.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476