America's Reaction

[quote name="westend1" post="815186" timestamp="1277819600"]
Wow!  All 20,000 soccer fans in the US were pumped.
[/quote]

troll

You know what I find exciting: Baseball. Anytime you can give me 6 minutes of action squeezed into 4 hours, sign me up. You know what's thrilling: the pick off move.You know what gets me going like 5 hour energy: Watching a relief pitcher warm up.  You want to see a prime athlete: 1st basemen.
You want to see another sport loaded with action: football. An average play lasts all of 5 to 7 seconds, and in that time they work sooo hard, they get almost a minute to recover for the next play. [i]And[/i] these guys work so hard during a drive, they only have to play on one side of the ball. [b]AND[/b] since there's so much action, theses guys get[u] SIX [/u] timeouts [u]EACH[/u], [u]TWENTY[/u] two minute tv timeouts, and breaks for quarters and halftime. I'm exhausted just thinking about resting that much. The Wall Street Journal analyzed 4 televised games this past season and found out that the ball was actually in play for 11 minutes.  11 MINUTES! That's action!

A friend of mine works at a bar in Austin and they've had to open at 6:30 in the morning several times and have had people waiting in line. And it's like that all over the US. In Beaumont, not so much. Which is surprising since the Golden Triangle is seen throughout the state as an area on the forefront of everything cool and innovative...  

Do I think that this World Cup won over tons of fans in the US? No. I'm not that naive. But what it did do was expose soccer as a viable second tier sport behind the big three.  And you know what, these fans are young, multi-cultural, and most importantly PASSIONATE.  Footbal and basketball aren't going anywhere, but baseball is losing fans by the boatload. And it's current fanbase is old, old, old.

Finally, I hope you realize that when a football game ends 21 - 14, that these teams didn't score 21 times and 14 times respectively.  You realize that this was 3 to 2, right?

[quote name="Bon_Mot" post="815191" timestamp="1277823486"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=70724.msg815186#msg815186 date=1277819600]
Wow!  All 20,000 soccer fans in the US were pumped.
[/quote]

troll

You know what I find exciting: Baseball. Anytime you can give me 6 minutes of action squeezed into 4 hours, sign me up. You know what's thrilling: the pick off move.You know what gets me going like 5 hour energy: Watching a relief pitcher warm up.  You want to see a prime athlete: 1st basemen.
You want to see another sport loaded with action: football. An average play lasts all of 5 to 7 seconds, and in that time they work sooo hard, they get almost a minute to recover for the next play. [i]And[/i] these guys work so hard during a drive, they only have to play on one side of the ball. [b]AND[/b] since there's so much action, theses guys get[u] SIX [/u] timeouts [u]EACH[/u], [u]TWENTY[/u] two minute tv timeouts, and breaks for quarters and halftime. I'm exhausted just thinking about resting that much. The Wall Street Journal analyzed 4 televised games this past season and found out that the ball was actually in play for 11 minutes.  11 MINUTES! That's action!

A friend of mine works at a bar in Austin and they've had to open at 6:30 in the morning several times and have had people waiting in line. And it's like that all over the US. In Beaumont, not so much. Which is surprising since the Golden Triangle is seen throughout the state as an area on the forefront of everything cool and innovative...  

Do I think that this World Cup won over tons of fans in the US? No. I'm not that naive. But what it did do was expose soccer as a viable second tier sport behind the big three.  And you what, these fans are young, multi-cultural, and most importantly PASSIONATE.  Footbal and basketball aren't going anywhere, but baseball is losing fans by the boatload. And it's current fanbase is old, old, old.

Finally, I hope you realize that when a football game ends 21 - 14, that these teams didn't score 21 times and 14 times respectively.  You realize that that this was 3 to 2, right?
[/quote]

I think soccer has just seen its first SLAM DUNK!  ;D

westend, I don't know how good you are with numbers, but you were off a little:
From http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sports/soccer/29sandomir.html?ref=soccer

On Saturday, the United States’ loss to Ghana was seen by 14.9 million on ABC — an American record for the tournament — and an additional 4.5 million on Univision. That’s 19.4 million viewers for a Round of 16 game on a Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. Eastern — the same number that Fox averaged over six prime-time games for last year’s World Series.

Guest Newbie
The problem with bulletin boards is, you can't tell facial expressions.  Glad you graced our sport with your comments no matter how unpopular.  :P

[quote name="westend1" post="815242" timestamp="1277836507"]
I actually watched some World cup, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start watching MLS anytime soon.  Is there still Major League Soccer>??
[/quote]

Lol yep. It's so boring to watch though after watching the World Cup and the Premier League.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder